Triple Lutz and flip jumps in the Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Triple Lutz and flip jumps in the Ladies SP

Krislite

Medalist
Have there? Do you mean number of skaters who have attempted each or are you also taking into account the number of times they have attempted?

For 3Lo+3Lo I can think of
Lipinski,
Joanne Carter (maybe only once, nontelevised)
S. Hughes (ditto)
C. Zhang

For 3Lz+3Lo
Slutskaya
Arakawa?
Ando

Kwan attempted it once but didn't come close

I'm probably missing one or more for each of those combos

Or did you mean 3Lz+3T? Definitely more attempts, and successes, at that one

Off the top of my head: Slutskaya, Ando, Arakawa, Sotnikova, Wagner, all televised. Not to mention, each--especially Slutskaya and Sotnikova--attempted this combo several times.

As for the 3Lo+3Lo, heck I can't remember any lady off the top of my head besides Lipinski and Zhang who tried it in a televised competition, let alone succeeded several times. And that's my point. Difficulty varies by skater and frequency of success/attempt is not inversely proportional to difficulty. There's been several 3A+2T attempts (and successes), because of Mao, yet one would hardly say that combo is generally "easier" than a 3Lo+3Lo.

Krislite

Medalist
I can't believe I called that one. I remember coming back from the Jr. Ladies SP, and went online and said I was underwhelmed by Gracie's jumps. I said I wouldn't give her Lutz any positive GOE, not enough height, no flow coming out, etc... Looks like the judges agreed. I guess we're all conditioned to girls not having true lutz, so when one has one, suddenly it's a big deal.

Of all the girls competing, the one with the best lutz, and very consistent at it, is Miki Ando.
Agnes' lutz is also impressive.

Miki Ando is still competing? I thought she was on break this season.

Hanaka

Rinkside
The actual list is smaller than that. Kwan had a mild Flutz. Ito Lipped. Few would have survived the scrutiny of today's tech panel. Even Yuna's flat-edged Flip got called "e" occasionally in the '09 season, ruining her confidence in that jump.

IIRC, (Sorry, if my memory is wrong) Yuna has never got called "e" for the flat-edged Flip. She just got "!" only once. And the judges gave her huge GOES to the 3F-3T because they thought the combination was good. So the flat edge has not given her any trouble so far as she's got no deduction for it. Correct me if my memory is wrong.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
IIRC, (Sorry, if my memory is wrong) Yuna has never got called "e" for the flat-edged Flip. She just got "!" only once. And the judges gave her huge GOES to the 3F-3T because they thought the combination was good. So the flat edge has not given her any trouble so far as she's got no deduction for it. Correct me if my memory is wrong.

She got both edge calls and attention marks during the 08-09 season, specifically during the following competitions: 2008 Cup of China, 2009 4CC, and 2009 Worlds. She didn't change it during the pivotal 2009 season, which was her big chance to win Worlds. But over the summer of 2009 going into the Olympic season, she did alter her technique to make it more an inside and less flat edge, which affected her confidence. Thereafter that jump became unreliable, whereas before it used to be among her most solid jumps. Interestingly enough, it was this move to adjust her Flip technique that forced her to upgrade her triple-triple to 3Lz+3T.

Funny how the CoP's tech scrutiny works--like Mao abandoning the Lutz and going for the riskier 3A combos at the time.