Blade mounting issues | Golden Skate

Blade mounting issues

treesprite

Final Flight
Well, there is a problem with getting my blades mounted. The guy who was going to do it is afraid to do it now. The are excess screw holes, so there is the issue of being worried that the new screws will be too close and not hold fast. Putting the blade inward a bit is probably going to be out of the question because of the custom size (A heal/ C toe) - I told them not to worry about setting it inward if it's going to make things harder (having the stiffer boot and the fact that the skates are heat mold-able might be enough without moving the blade in). I am probably going to have to drive over an hour each way just to find out if some other place can do it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to end up having to try out of state.

So does anyone know of some place with a lot of experience near montgomery county maryland?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You may want to try calling/checking with local Figure Skating Clubs in your area.

treesprite

Final Flight
They ended up going ahead and putting the blades on, without setting the right one inward. The front of the right blade is placed well, but the heal is under the wrong part of my heel - I don't think this is because of my foot, I think it's placement of the blade. I just hope he can move the back over a bit without a question of whether or not it can be done.

I can skate a whole lot better in these in general though....!

treesprite

Final Flight
The back of the blade was nudged over, so that helped. BUT now my blade scrapes the ice... the back of the blade if my weight is forward, and the front if my weight is back. While it is scraping, there's a skipping on the scraping part, like the blade is trying to pull against itself. It makes me think the blade is bent, but how could that be?

I'm taking the skates to the guy tomorrow. I meant to take a camera today so I could take a pic of what I'm talking about (or video clip), but I forgot.

lilicedreamer

Rinkside
Try going to Skater's Paradise
3033 Waldorf Market Place
Waldorf, Maryland 20603

Phone: (301) 885-3190

Hours By Appointment:
Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
By Appointment between 11am - 5pm

The local skaters swear by this guy, who actually has worked with olympians in the past. As a matter of fact, I'd just let him fit you with new skates, and set your blades.

treesprite

Final Flight
The guy said the blades themselves look ok. He put the permanent screws in them to see it the problem is from a shifting blade. If that doesn't help, not sure what will be next. I sent SP an e-mail a couple weeks ago and did not get a response. Why do places bother having e-mail addresses?

lcd

Match Penalty
hugely important issue. This defines center of balance in a HUGE way. Good issue, and not to be taken lightly.

icedust

Rinkside
Hi treesprite.
I hope this issue is getting resolved: how are you getting on these days with this?

The only advice I can offer is based on personal experience with a similar problem.
I had my blades incorrectly mounted the first time round, which left gaping holes in my skates' soles, and since I needed a micro movement of the blade, the new hole "fell" into the old one.
This was rectified by a very competent expert boot/blade guy. He basically plugged the old holes with wood first (like match sticks which had had the head broken off) and then fitted the new screws which gripped into the wood plugs nicely. Another solution he suggested was filling the holes with wood filler and then starting over. Obviously don't go doing this without getting advice and knowing someone who can then sort the blade fitting for you, but definitely keep trying to find someone competent and get them fixed, because badly mounted blades can not only interfere with your skating but also cause the development of injuries through incorrect gestures/over-use of certain muscle groups, etc..

Hope that helps let us know how you get on!

Gigi
X

Last edited by a moderator:

icedust

Rinkside
Glad you got this resolved, happy skating! ^_^

Gigi
X

Last edited by a moderator: