Men Free Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men Free Program

Dots

Final Flight
Good for the the old timer! ;) He really is a great competitor. It's too bad the rest of the competition was underwhelming. What a snozefest
:confused2:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
To me, there already was no doubt that Plushenko is the G.O.A.T. (greatest of all time). But in case anybody missed that, he reminds us again. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Plushenko, Artur and Amodio and kudos to Russia for dominating the medal count at Europeans, well done!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Lordy, I'd so love to see what the judges would do with this Plushy program, skated this well or better, against a pretty clean Chan. But I understand that we will not have the opportunity at Worlds to see such a spectacle. A pity.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Javi... :cry::cry::cry:
Hope he isn't going to let that pull him down so much, so that he'll be back on track for worlds again. And he's still young, he can still come back to kick everyone's ***'s the next year.

Glad for Gachinski though... his jumps are great, and I feel he's really working on the rest. He's definitly not much of an artist yet, and he needs to work on his skating skills, but I do enjoy watching him skate, although I don't like the LP as much as the SP.
And I really thought the gap between him and Plushenko was too high... I'm not going to argue Plush shouldn't have won this, but I really don't get some of his points (and no, the protocol isn't helping - 8.82 for choreo?).

I hoped for Brezina and Verner to do better too, I enjoy both a lot more than Amodio, but the result is right the way it is. Hope they're proud with themselves after all, it's just that Javi probably isn't...:cry:

claphappy

On the Ice
I am very sad about Javi. He seems to have gotten a triple jump trauma. Or just the nerves. That Pluschenko won so clearly without doing a quad is embarassing for all other skaters. So many mistakes again they did. I find it strange that Gachinski with 2 quads is so far behind Pluschenko I must say. And Amodio ahead of Brezina? I don't get that either.

Well, I'm of two minds about both cases. Gachinski did have the quads, but Plushenko performed way more then him & seemed to fill the arena with an energy while Gachinski seemed to be just there to do his program & did't really bother to project.
In the case of Amodio & Brezina, I felt like Brezina had much more of a program, but Amodio was definitely cleaner.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Florian - watch again. Plushy landed a beautiful quad for his opening jump.

Ohhhhhhh, sorry. He really did. Then it's amazing indeed. The Eurosport commentators said it was only a triple toeloop, but they make mistakes in everything they say. Sorry. Then the win is well-deserved.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko is a great skater but that performance was just in a way just unbelievable!! It was so good! How can he perform like that? Such a big victory margin. He had all the jumps and the speed was great. Gachinski was good too. How long since Russian nationals 1-2 went 1-2 at Euros? LOL.

Amodio and Brezina were pretty close. Unfortunate about Fernandez. That was not the usual Fernandez in personality.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well it looks like they're not going to show the awards ceremony (like they did in 2010 btw), so I closed my feed. :(

But, on the bright side, I've been searching the net for the two famous speeches made by Babe Ruth, and especially Lou Gehrig, whom remind me of Evgeni Plushenko ~ "the luckiest man on the face of the earth" :love:

http://amog.com/sports/best-sports-speeches/

Now I'm going to youtube to watch "The Greatest Fight of the 20th Century": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzG1WsCzXJk as well as this one to get me pumped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuWcQwW753E

GREAT DAY OF SKATING! :cool: :rock:

jan

On the Ice
Lordy, I'd so love to see what the judges would do with this Plushy program, skated this well or better, against a pretty clean Chan. But I understand that we will not have the opportunity at Worlds to see such a spectacle. A pity.

Under the TES scores Chan would probably still have a 10 point lead....Even accounting for individual scores and tastes Chans transition scores would be much higher. At this comp they even put Plushys transitions scores down. You also have to remember that Plushy has a front loaded program so he is giving up 10% bonus after the halfway mark.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Silly question. Chan would win by a HUGE margin. Chan's LP skated pretty clean at Worlds will score around 200 points just like at Canadians. A clean Plushenko cant even beat a clean Lysacek without a quad like we saw at the Olympics, so imagine a clean Chan with quads. No contest. :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
We celebrate with Ant before going to the ladies!!! I cried my eyes out!!!

Yes chan can beat him but who cares!!! evgeni brought the arena down, skated far far better than olys and made ant a fan! (Although he told me not to say anywhere:p)

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
If I were to attend something like Holiday on Ice, I'd go expecting to see luxurious costumes, group numbers, lots of fancy and elegant skating (blade work). I should not be considering it to be a sporting event, but rather, a theatrical display of elegance and skill.

When I have attended eligible competitions, I was not looking for those things. In the Men's event, I looked forward to a display of difficulty overcome, risks taken, a striving for the nearly impossible, a contest between the skater and the limitations of his own stamina, a reaching for the sky, one might say. I would go expecting to see sport, a singular sport in which the player is out there all alone, all his errors showing, with no other player upon whom he can blame them. I would go expecting to see courage and will. I would go hoping to be thrilled, not merely entertained. I love men's figure skating for the thrills. Sometimes I would see something so whole, so beautiful, so exquisitely expressed, that, like the rest of the audience, I would fall silent with awe. This, too, I came to see.

Tastes differ, so we all must agree to disagree. To a great extent, that is what a discussion board is for, i.e., the airing of disparate opinions.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I'm bummed. Javi is my favorite, and he's just so off tonight. :disapp:
Me too, I'm glad that he ended in a higher position than last year. I hear he entered this competition nursing a neck and hip injury. Hopefully we'll see him in a better shape for worlds. I'm still very proud of him.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I came here late ... just now and holy cow and I bow to this incredible achievement by Plushy. All my respect to him.
Congrats to the medalists. Glad that Flo is doing better as the season gets close to its peak.

Plush you made me your fan today.

Trewyn

Medalist
:party2::points:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEVIN VAN DER PERREN!!!!:points::party:

Thirteen years competing at Europeans straight through from 1999-2012 (no break), with two Bronze Medals, becoming the first man from Belgium to capture a medal at Euros since 1947! :thumbsup: And the first man from Belgiumever to win at medal at Jr. Worlds in 2002. :)^)

HERE WE GO!@!

I was at a friend's place to watch Kevin on tv, so I wasn't hear to cheer along with you! But aw so sad he withdrew! Did he do the warm-up? Or was he a no-show? Apparantly he broke his wrist (or sprained it at the very least). It's also *possible* *maybe* that he'll do World after all. Though he might be under pressure to give the spot to Jorik? Even though he earned it fairly at Belgian Nats :s

He's an amazing guy. I've met him several times and he's so genuine. Great guy and what a trooper :)

Well... how to say this ? I'm with you when you talk about courage & strength but class, style, finesse ? I'm sorry, wearing too many times this horrendous bones outfit alone disqualified him. And that's just an exemple; the superhero one is also something that must be forbidden from competitions.
On the other hand, the second time he used Lawrence of Arabia as FS music, he wore a white and golden one very nice to watch from both sides !

I agree he wasn't the most 'artistic' or fashion sensible in his choice of outfits, but 'style' and 'class' also refer (I think) to the way he's always been as a person, not bigheaded and all that.

I hope he'll manage Nice so he can go out with the kind of program he wanted.

EDIT to avoid double-posting: my general thoughts on the competition: glad Plushenko won; he had star quality tonight and got the job done; Florent's reaction to his medal was so cute :) Sad for Javi and Joubert :s And Verner.. will he ever keep it together again?

Last edited: