Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST. | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST.

icellist

On the Ice
Caroline's SP was underscored with her clean 3R-3R. And aren't step -outs -1's in GOE??? Why did she get -2's for her 3F in the LP? Mood: outraged!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Zhang is basically coming back from nowhere. In the pecking order she was well down coming into this event. Figure skating is a reputation sport. Things wont happen overnight. What she was able to do here was amazing and if she keeps skating that well her marks will go up.

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't find Agnes masculine at all. She is athletic but that doesn't mean she is masculine.

icellist

On the Ice
Caroline really backed off on her speed in the FS. IMO she was a bit over-scored in PCS. In other words, I think Agnes earned that bronze despite the mistakes in the long.

And you don't think Agnes PCS was bumped up too much in the FS? Caroline's PCS was 56.55 while Agnes' PCS was 59.60

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
i know USFS will probably ask Ashley and Alissa if they would like to do 4CC since it's in the US this year...but I'd like them to send Agnes, Caroline, and Gracie (if she has an LP program). It'll give all 3 a chance to grow, get more experience and confidence. All 3 have good shots at doing well.

I'm sure Ashley would want to go. It would be another chance for her to build confidence and earn an international medal. If they send Caroline I hope she can put her 3-3 combo in the long; it might have won her a medal today.

Brenda

On the Ice
Well, I think Ashley, Alissa, and Agnes are going to go to 4CC. Quite possibly also that Gracie would.

I wonder if Alissa might opt not to, in order to rest and take a break. She seems tired and has had some injuries this season.
Ashley and Agnes will almost certainly go...Ashley needs to cement her rep and Agnes is a local girl.

Mao88

Record Breaker
It is amazing to think there are atleast 6 women with a good shot at making the U.S Olympic team for 2014- Wagner, Czisny, Agnes, Gold, Nagasu, and now Zhang. Maybe a 7th with Gao and maybe some more to come. Other than the certainty Flatt wont make it (if she is even still competing by 2014) it is hard to predict what will happen.

You can add Angela Wang to that list as well.

emma

Record Breaker
I don't find Agnes masculine at all. She is athletic but that doesn't mean she is masculine.

right. that's why I put masculine in quotes when I responded....my way of not eye rolling or getting upset over a friendly conversation. She is strong, and beautiful, and I love it.

Iscariot

On the Ice
I just hope with Alissa's international reputation and Ashely new confidence US can grab 3 spots again at worlds

jan

On the Ice
Caroline really backed off on her speed in the FS. IMO she was a bit over-scored in PCS. In other words, I think Agnes earned that bronze despite the mistakes in the long.

Completely agree. She was painfully slow with a lot of those 2 foot crosscuts. I find Alissa slow as well. The Euopean skaters are much faster.

jan

On the Ice
I agree,she is taller than most of the girls and is really fit. She remindsme of Irina Slutskaya in a way.
I don't think she looks like Joannie Rochette either as a poster said earlier. Joannie was much shorter and compact. It would be good to see her in a skirt like Alissa's.

krenseby

Final Flight
Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:
( Though it won't be exclusive for much longer. :biggrin: )

Well I for one am confused, my ritual of despondent despair after Caroline's LP has been disrupted. What will I now do? I feel lost. Though of course, we could once again dwell on her various flaws. But not now and not in this thread ;-)

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
wow, this is actually just setting in. Mirai is in 7th....so no bye for next year although hopefully international comps might help. AND, Rachel was 4th in the LP? wow. Caroine was 3rd in the long program??? (god, I'm so freaking happy for her). Wang is 8th overall in her senior debut but 6th in the LP? and Gold's junior program scores put her in this mix? And we say the US ladies aren't exciting??? I'm excited!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Agnes neither looks nor acts remotely masculine.

Which reminds me, I would actually like to see a female skater do a full on drag king routine for a competitive program. Through the years, we've seen ladies pretend to be swans, fauns and that two-timing gypsy Carmen. Why not men?

Come on, re Agnes' body -- the bodies of human beings come in all shapes, sizes, angles. When Agnes is on, she is as good as many of the top ten ladies in the World. This was a big step for her in coming back from a poor start to the season. She just wasn't able to take the final part of that step, yet still garners a bronze medal on the strength of her sp. I like to see ladies (and men too) depart from the norm by exploring their own unique style. Not every lady has to be pretty, lyrical, elegant. Why not shake up the expected with different takes. Honestly, I'd love to see more of edgy, different, exciting (whether the approach is more athletic and less dainty, ladylike, or ladylike with an edge, or whatever).

Special congrats to Ashley, and bravo to all who gave it their best effort. "The sun will come out tomorrow."

I'm with you! Variety in skaters' physiques and skating styles makes things interesting, in both ladies and men. The more body types go into skating, the fewer skaters will develop eating disorders in a misguided effort to be acceptable.

Polymerbob, I join you in rejoicing that Caroline has made it back to skating success. And she did it so convincingly. Her flow and assurance were splendid. She still has that wonderful upper body posture, but now she's smoothed out her jumps. May she only improve from now on.