Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Free Skate

It's on NBC now on the east coast.

We get THREE HOURS of skating on TV? Be still my heart.

Why did Coughlin and his partner break up?

I'd just like to send out a cheer for Evora and Ladwig. I'm rooting for them. I've loved them since 2010.

periperi

On the Ice
^ ^ That's what I'd like to know! 6th place at Worlds... I thought they had potential.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Marissa and Simon just did one of the ugliest death spirals I've ever seen. She looked like a dead rat stuck on a turntable. Lots of awkward lifts, too. Bleeech.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's on NBC now on the east coast.

We get THREE HOURS of skating on TV? Be still my heart.

Why did Coughlin and his partner break up?

He "retired" then repartnered with Caydee Denney.

Castelli/Schnapir - the height difference is too much for me. That death spiral was wierd. Lovely throw 3S, but no combo/sequence on the SBS jumps (he fell on both passes), so the score will be low.

Nadine

Record Breaker
So sad about C&S, but have to be honest am excited for D&S, wonder if the falls by the former will result in moving up 1 place by D&S???? :confused:

ps: kudos for the throw 3A, looked exactly like the one my fav pair Abitbol & Bernadis did at the 1998 Olympics to "Chariots of Fire". :thumbsup:

Denney and McLaughlin are doing well, but Turandot and Calaf they're not. Not even when "Nessun Dorma" is twanged on an electric guitar. You don't have to be Asian to carry it off, but you need to be a bit impassioned.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Denney and McLaughlin are doing well, but Turandot and Calaf they're not. Not even when "Nessun Dorma" is twanged on an electric guitar. You don't have to be Asian to carry it off, but you need to be a bit impassioned.

Agreed. This is a terrific example of a skate where the TES should dwarf the PCS. Some terrific elements throughout, but very little in the way of choreography, performance, interpretation, detail etc. Also, I really don't like how forced they are in trying to create a "MOMENT" on the ice. But they clearly like skating together.

lavender

Record Breaker
D/C will probably win but that was an awkward lift at the end. I didn't like the way they executed it.

Pairs is just blah to me in the states now.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
D/C skated with almost no involvement with the music, both choreographically and within their dancing. It was a series of mediocre tricks. They'll probably win, but I give them a MEH.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well deserved SO by D&C! :clap: :rock: :love: That powerful performance is what sets them apart from ALL the rest!!!! Their pairing is magical, yes, I did not like how it came about, but the result is magical, simply magical...

BUT I have to be honest the whole time I kept thinking about my fav pair D&S and that they are now *guaranteed* a pewter medal!!! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! From 8th last year, to a horrible showing this past summer to the point they got no invitationals, to now a 4th place finish, couldn't be happier, more than I expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :points:

Macassar88

Medalist
Ugh... I didn't realize how much score inflation there was at US Nationals until I realized that they broke their personal record by around 13 points, and were just given a score that would give them the 7th or 8th highest score of all time in a free skate.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm surprised E/L are still together (imo). They need more difference in size and height or something. Not sure what it is but they get no height on jump elements.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Too bad about the mistakes from E&L (love the fact that they have been together for 10 yrs!). :thumbsup: But they are guaranteed at least a bronze medal. :)

oh, dear, I so love Evora and Ladwig in terms of style, speed, emotional connection, and incredible lifts, but their jumps are precarious. What a pity.

Sandra Bezic is especially useful as a commentator for pairs because of her experience both skating and choreographing for pairs, and she pointed out that Evora/Ladwig's program is superior to those already skated, but "the mistakes mask the quality."

icebeauty

On the Ice
D/C will probably win but that was an awkward lift at the end. I didn't like the way they executed it.

frankly i really HATE Caydee's position in lifts. not enough stretch and she just looks awkward in the air like she's not pushing back in her arm to help her partner out...idk, just my opinion and something i've thought has been a problem for her for years...wish someone would get her to fix it

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Dang it, Rockne! It was Mary Beth that everyone was worried about but it looks like they shouldn't have bothered. :p I really wanted them or E/L to do well because I can't really stomach the thought of D/M being the champs; they do nothing for me as a team.