Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds Teams | Golden Skate

Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds Teams

reynycpr

On the Ice
All according to the USFSA site: (Ladies & Ice Dance)

Ladies
2012 World Championships
Alissa Czisny
Ashley Wagner

Alternate 1 - Agnes Zawadzki
Alternate 2 - Caroline Zhang
Alternate 3 - Mirai Nagasu

2012 Four Continents Championships
Ashley Wagner
Agnes Zawadzki
Caroline Zhang

Alternate 1 - Rachael Flatt
Alternate 2 - Mirai Nagasu
Alternate 3 - Christina Gao

2012 World Junior Championships
Christina Gao
Gracie Gold
Vanessa Lam

Alternate 1 - Ashley Cain
Alternate 2 - Hannah Miller
Alternate 3 - Angela Wang

Ice Dancing
2012 World Championships
Meryl Davis & Charlie White
Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue
Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 - Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
Alternate 2 - Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Alternate 3 - Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus

Meryl Davis & Charlie White
Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue
Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 - Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt
Alternate 2 - Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Alternate 3 - Anastasia Olson & Jordan Cowan

Alexandra Aldridge & Daniel Eaton
Lauri Bonacorsi & Travis Mager
Rachel Parsons & Michael Parsons

Alternate 1 - Madeline Heritage & Nathaniel Fast
Alternate 2 - Kaitlin Hawayek & Michael Bramante
Alternate 3 - Amanda Bertsch & Sam Kaplun"

MEN'S
2012 World Championships

Jeremy Abbott
Adam Rippon

Alternate 1 - Ross Miner
Alternate 2 - Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Alternate 3 - Douglas Razzano

Jeremy Abbott
Ross Miner
Adam Rippon

Alternate 1 - Richard Dornbush
Alternate 2 - Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Alternate 3 - Douglas Razzano

Jason Brown
Timothy Dolensky
Joshua Farris

Alternate 1 - Philip Warren
Alternate 2 - Harrison Choate
Alternate 3 - Jay Yostanto

PAIRS
2012 World Championships

Caydee Denney & John Coughlin
Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker

Alternate 1 - Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig
Alternate 2 - Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir
Alternate 3 - Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff

Caydee Denney & John Coughlin
Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig
Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker

Alternate 1 - Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff
Alternate 2 - Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir
Alternate 3 - Ashley Cain & Joshua Reagan

Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier
Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton
Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer

Alternate 1 - Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu
Alternate 2 - Jessica Pfund & AJ Reiss
Alternate 3 - Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
No surprises here I think, except maybe that Alissa apparantly declined 4CC? Jason said it would be good for her to have another competition before worlds.. But it'll be great for Caroline.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad Gracie is going to Jr Worlds and not Senior Worlds. It will be good experience going up against the Russian girls and see where she stands. But as it stands now with the Senior Ladies it's not looking good. I was hoping Agnes would at least get second and make the World team. We need the kids to star taking over before Sochi because the older skaters i saw tonight are not getting done and are not the answer. I can only hope that the holdovers from the last Olympic cycle will be gone by 2014. It's harsh but it's true.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm just sorry to see that Ashley Cain, & Hannah Miller are not going to Junior Worlds.

samba

On the Ice
I am sorry that Lynn&Logan are not going to 4CC. Canadian sent R/H to Worlds, and sent P/I to 4CC.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why no Alissa to 4CC? I also would have liked to see one of the youngsters go to Jr Worlds not someone like Gao who has skated at Sr nats for the last 3 years. Someone like Angela Wang or Leah Keiser or Hannah Miller should have gone instead. These kids need the experience heading Sochi.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Maybe Gao can finally break through at Junior Worlds. She hasnt done as well as hoped there yet. The odds of Wang, Keiser, and Miller making the Sochi team with the insane depth the U.S women are building up (and a youngster like Gold who is way better than them) are slim to none anyway so I dont worry about building experience for Sochi. They will have lots of chances to gain experience elsewhere for whatever lies ahead.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Why no Alissa to 4CC? I also would have liked to see one of the youngsters go to Jr Worlds not someone like Gao who has skated at Sr nats for the last 3 years. Someone like Angela Wang or Leah Keiser or Hannah Miller should have gone instead. These kids need the experience heading Sochi.

I suspect Alissa declined--hopefully she will focus on making improvements before Worlds. I disagree with your strategy and agree with pangtongfan. "The kids" will not be ready in time for Sochi with so many other worthies in front of them--this group you mentioned needs to look further down the road. The US needs to send the strongest possible team to Jr. Worlds, as I think results determine JGP spots next season. And maxing out on JGP places WOULD be of real benefit to the next generation of ladies, including the youngsters you mentioned. I think the USFSA probably selected the strongest JW team, and that to me is indeed Gao, Lam, and Gold.

So far I actually agree with the Ladies' and Ice Dance selections and alternates. Except I would have given 4CC third spot to K/G-S rather than to H/D.

nadster

Final Flight
The US needs to send the strongest possible team to Jr. Worlds, as I think results determine JGP spots next season. And maxing out on JGP places WOULD be of real benefit to the next generation of ladies, including the youngsters you mentioned. I think the USFSA probably selected the strongest JW team, and that to me is indeed Gao, Lam, and Gold.

Don't just think that JW results determine JGP slots ; your thoughts are absolutely correct. IMO JGP slots are even more important than JW slots and JGP slots allows a country to build good depth.

If the top result is in the top 3 countries, you get the maximum 14 slots. Lower finishes result in 7 or even fewer slots with the worst scenario being 3 slots. I don't see America in ladies going below 7 ( countries 4-6 ) slots even in the worst case scenario.

Disaster for America would be failure to secure 14 slots ( 2 per JGP ) and only get 7 ( 1 per JGP ).

One thing that has helped the Americans over the years is the ability to almost always maximize the JGP slots.

The American men this season were only entitled to 7 JGP slots ( 4th best country at last JW ) but got extra slots that took them to 13 slots due to Sweden not being able to fill all its slots and Canada leaving almost half the men's slots blank ( HUH? I know ). Sweden and Canada were both entitled to 14 slots this season. Russia also got extra slots due to the Swedish and Canadian vacancies.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Can we please just have 3 spots back at Worlds? Please? I worry about Alissa and Ashley at Worlds though. I hope Alissa can recover fully from her injury and get back on track. As for Ashley, she needs to up her technical content pronto.. She never seems to score well internationally even with clean programs (GP series).

I like the Junior World team. If Christina couldn't get 4CC, at least she gets another chance to prove herself at Junior Worlds. It'll be interesting to see how she and Gracie stack up against each other and against the Russians. So much more excited about Junior Worlds than Worlds.

Nadine

Record Breaker
All according to the USFSA site: (Ladies)

Ladies
2012 World Championships
Alissa Czisny
Ashley Wagner

Alternate 1 - Agnes Zawadzki
Alternate 2 - Caroline Zhang
Alternate 3 - Mirai Nagasu

Ashley Wagner
Agnes Zawadzki
Caroline Zhang

Alternate 1 - Rachael Flatt
Alternate 2 - Mirai Nagasu
Alternate 3 - Christina Gao

Christina Gao
Gracie Gold
Vanessa Lam

Alternate 1 - Ashley Cain
Alternate 2 - Hannah Miller
Alternate 3 - Angela Wang

Hmm, interesting, not surprised about Worlds really, USFSA has always picked the top 2 (or 3 when applicable), only deviating under very unusual circumstances, which isn't the case this year. And especially seeing how Agnes Zawadski did at 15 when she won the US Jr. Title, from there she finished Silver at the 2010 Jr. Worlds, and Bronze at the 2011 Jr. Worlds. So judging from that I expect they hope for Gracie Gold to hopefully do as well as Agnes did. :) Neither is ready for the big time, still need to work on their presentation, which isn't in the league of Kostner, Asada, Czisny, Korpi. Unfortunately this year is the weakest year at Worlds imho, no big time hitters like Ando nor Kim, but next year it's time to up the ante and start making Worlds respectable again, especially the Olympics where one wants not just artistry, but POWER as well!

This year is the best year for an American to capture a medal, and that's Alissa Czisny, they like her lines, postures, positions, SPINS, beauty, longevity, et al. And if others can win a medal with 3 or 4 jumps then so can Alissa!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: For Ashley, they won't be so forgiving, nor have they been, but that's alright, I just want her & Alissa to attain that magical number of 13. :cool: :love:

4CC, glad that Agnes gets a shot at it, let's see how she holds up this time, because honestly, thinking long term, she (& hopefully Gracie Gold) are the only power hitters America has. Everyone else has smallish jumps, at best average, questionable technique (e.g. flutz, lip, UR, et al). Sad, but true.... :(

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Good selections, except I'm sad that Lynn and Logan got nothing. This sounds kind of rude, but I'm hoping D&W will pull out of 4CC so Lynn and Logan can go.

My sadness for Lynn and Logan reminds me of my sadness for Navarro and Bommentre, knocking on the door but never quite getting there. :no:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm, interesting, not surprised about Worlds really, USFSA has always picked the top 2 (or 3 when applicable), only deviating under very unusual circumstances, which isn't the case this year. And especially seeing how Agnes Zawadski did at 15 when she won the US Jr. Title, from there she finished Silver at the 2010 Jr. Worlds, and Bronze at the 2011 Jr. Worlds. So judging from that I expect they hope for Gracie Gold to hopefully do as well as Agnes did. :) Neither is ready for the big time, still need to work on their presentation, which isn't in the league of Kostner, Asada, Czisny, Korpi. Unfortunately this year is the weakest year at Worlds imho, no big time hitters like Ando nor Kim, but next year it's time to up the ante and start making Worlds respectable again, especially the Olympics where one wants not just artistry, but POWER as well!

This year is the best year for an American to capture a medal, and that's Alissa Czisny, they like her lines, postures, positions, SPINS, beauty, longevity, et al. And if others can win a medal with 3 or 4 jumps then so can Alissa!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: For Ashley, they won't be so forgiving, nor have they been, but that's alright, I just want her & Alissa to attain that magical number of 13. :cool: :love:

4CC, glad that Agnes gets a shot at it, let's see how she holds up this time, because honestly, thinking long term, she (& hopefully Gracie Gold) are the only power hitters America has. Everyone else has smallish jumps, at best average, questionable technique (e.g. flutz, lip, UR, et al). Sad, but true.... :(
I agree plus i want to see some of the new kids like Agnes get a shot at Worlds since the girls from the previous Olympic cycle hasn't gotten it done internationally. But Agnes has to learn put down good performances in the LP or she'll become like Mirai. Yes it sucks to skate last holding a lead but if you want to be a champion you have to get it done somehow.

verte76

On the Ice
Yeah, I saw Alissa injured at the Grand Prix final and it was really sad. I'm glad she's going to Worlds.

verte76

On the Ice
I'm off to check my TV and see if there is anymore skating on tonight. I'd like to see the exos!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Supposedly, check your local NBC listings for the exhibition next Saturday. At least that's what they said on today's broadcast.