Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Free Skate

emma

Record Breaker
Indeed, Jeremy's SP was electric. Jeremy is definitely not a one note. He can skate to different types of music well. Maybe not every type of music but he has shown great variety. His LP was pretty spellbinding too although I was distracted during it. I only watched nationals in bits and pieces because I have a new baby ... hence, I missed Rachael Flatt's LP and had to miss Jeremy reacting to his win... I also tried to watch the ice dance but ended up falling asleep out of exhaustion throughout the whole thing until the shibutanis skated. but I think the fact that I have followed figure skating at all this season with a new baby shows what a dedicated fan I am :)

Congratulations on your new baby!!! And yes, simply amazing that you have followed skating...you are totally dedicated!!!!

It's worth watching Rachael when you get a chance; she skated with pure joy and a very lovely dress I might add. It was a very uplifting moment. Jeremy - well- totally amazing!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree but I HATED his costume!!!

Me too. I couldn't believe my eyes!:eek:

Even though I don't like much about his LP, Abbott is an extremely talented skater. He ought to exceed Johnny Weir's medal collections, at least match his. Wish him to be on the podium at this world!

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Back a few pages: Jason Brown shot up about 6-8 inches in the last 10 months AND changed boot brands. Back in the late spring/early summer, he was struggling even to land his current aresenal of jumps and didn't get to spend as much of his off season working on the 3A as he could have if the rest had been stable.

Thanks for reminding us of this....I had totally forgotten. He really is amazing and I just love, love, love his skating and his attitude. He and his coach were so cute in the KnC after the long...nice to see.

I love Keegan Messing too. He and Jason are hands-down the most exciting men to look forward to in the next couple of years, for me. Dornbush, Miner, et al. are very very good too, but Jason and Keegan are the standouts in their amazingly different ways.

I think Toni is going to be on top of the world over Keegan soon. It's hard to imagine such an irrepressible soul not succeeding.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
All of your comments about Keegan make me super excited, will have to pass all of your kind words along.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
indeed. sublime. Jeremy certainly knows how to skate a National Championship. I had tears in my eyes during the straight line step sequence. So happy for him and Adam, they are the dream team for Worlds.

Evan is looking wise to stay away....I don't think he could have come close to Jeremy here.

Hmm, second place would have been quite enough. Anyway, let´s hope that this time the win at the Nationals does not "prevent" Jeremy from skating well at Worlds...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Toni is going to be on top of the world over Keegan soon. It's hard to imagine such an irrepressible soul not succeeding.

I am already there :laugh: I've loved watching him "grow up" in skating and hope he continues all the way to the top, he can do it!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I saw the interview with Johnny in which he said he was planning a comeback next season. I don't think he would have beaten Jeremy here, maybe Adam. But it seems his expectations aren't too high since he said 'maybe I'm too old and my time has passed' or something like that.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Jeremy still has room to grow with his LP technically. Some people have been saying that he needs a second quad, but I would rather see him tack on triple toes for his combos. Also, he never seems to be able to control the scratch spin in his flying upright spin in either the short or the long, so I would rather see him hold the back crossfoot spin for eight revolutions or change it all together into a flying sit spin with a twisted sit variation for eight revolutions.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I saw the interview with Johnny in which he said he was planning a comeback next season. I don't think he would have beaten Jeremy here, maybe Adam. But it seems his expectations aren't too high since he said 'maybe I'm too old and my time has passed' or something like that.
Now that he has seen the National, I wonder if he is planning a never-comeback? :biggrin: I hope he'll be back, though. I don't care if he can win. As long as he skates from heart, I will always voice my support for his passion and love of the sport.

icebeauty

On the Ice
Now that he has seen the National, I wonder if he is planning a never-comeback? :biggrin: I hope he'll be back, though. I don't care if he can win. As long as he skates from heart, I will always voice my support for his passion and love of the sport.

I thinkJohnny has no expectations about his comeback, but like he said, a skating comeback is something he has to do now...he doesn't want to be asking "what if" when he's 50. I think his attitude during his two year break as well as his reaction to his Olympic skates (not placement) left him in a good place. So yes he's going to bring the flash and sparkle back, but there's no expectations...not like Evan as the reigning Olympic champ.
Also, I like that Johnny is really doing this seriously, He says he still has all his triples, his spins are still good as ever, he knows he has to train the quad (not necessarily land it...), so I'm crossing my fingers he feels he can be competition ready since he said I'm not going to go on tv to make an @$$ of myself

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He says he still has all his triples, his spins are still good as ever, he knows he has to train the quad (not necessarily land it...), so I'm crossing my fingers he feels he can be competition ready since he said I'm not going to go on tv to make an @$$ of myself

I hope that for his comeback Weir finally understands that a real CoP-choreography is needed (the lack was seen from his PCS in 2010 Olympics). Unlike Plushenko Weir is not getting high PCS without skating to a good professional CoP choreography. Unless his goal is to skate in US 2014 Nationals only?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I hope that for his comeback Weir finally understands that a real CoP-choreography is needed (the lack was seen from his PCS in 2010 Olympics). Unlike Plushenko Weir is not getting high PCS without skating to a good professional CoP choreography. Unless his goal is to skate in US 2014 Nationals only?

I've not been able to watch US Mens or hear Weir's commentary, but he has been highly praised on GS at least. Commenting intelligently requires good understanding of the system so he should know the importance of well adapted choreography and its execution in a competition. OTOH, his frequent put-downs of Patrick Chan indicates lesser COP knowledge or its acceptance. So, :confused2:. Let's hope he can skate the talk and show his skills and wits on ice.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Weir's given a few seconds on NBC. Asked about his return and his pick for US world team. I think he's here to stir up the water and he did and that's all he could do. He is not a serious competitor any more.

I've not been able to watch US Mens or hear Weir's commentary, but he has been highly praised on GS at least. Commenting intelligently requires good understanding of the system so he should know the importance of well adapted choreography and its execution in a competition. OTOH, his frequent put-downs of Patrick Chan indicates lesser COP knowledge or its acceptance. So, :confused2:. Let's hope he can skate the talk and show his skills and wits on ice.

He's very intertaining for sure but he's not professional. He puts his own likes and dislikes in his comments and is biased. So don't take his words seriously. Just treat them as lighthearted intertainment.

ETA:

Finally read through this long thread. Can't believe those Jason Brown hypes! He doesn't even have a 3A for god's sake! Artistry? How much is artistry worth?

Last edited:
Finally read through this long thread. Can't believe those Jason Brown hypes! He doesn't even have a 3A for god's sake! Artistry? How much is artistry worth?

Far too little. :cry: The first half of Jason Brown's program was wonderful. Smooth as butter.

No, he's not going to win any contests without some big jumps, but his skating is a delight. :clap:

If so, can you tell us what he said?

"Or do you like the red fan with the climbing ivy motif better?"

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...-canadian-skater-patrick-news-photo/119542345

shine

Record Breaker
ETA:

I guess fans of figure skating can recognize greatness in the skating regardless of the jumps landed?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
This is off topic, but I really like Stephen Carriere again! I hope he can stay injury-free and maybe move up the placement ladder at Nationals again. I think he backloaded his program a bit too much this year.