entries | Golden Skate

entries

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm always amazed at how soon after Nationals this competition is. It's next week! That's crazy! I hope the US skaters will be able to manage these back-to-back competitions, especially since Nationals is so particularly emotional and stressful. Why doesn't the USFSA have them a week earlier? Is it because it would overlap with the Canadian Nats?

ivy

On the Ice
Better to overlap with Can Nat'l then to overlap with Euro's like they did this year. I suppose the fact is in the US makes it easier, but it does seem like more time for US skaters to regroup would be good. Should be an excellent competition - especially in Men's and Dance. Podiums here could be the same as for Worlds.

Trewyn

Medalist
I think they've overlapped with Euros I think for as long as I've been watching the sport (since 2007). Very busy couple of days for us fans :p This year it's true that there is no major travel and jet lag involved for the US skaters.

I haven't watched 4CC in years, but I'm excited about it this year! Hopefully the time difference won't prevent me from watching it all.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Some of the timing of us nationals is due to avoiding Christmas to new year's.I wonder whether some of the rest is avoiding football playoffs.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm not sure, either. Maybe some of the people who work behind the scenes on Canadian Nationals are the same as those for US Nationals? Schedule conflicts?

Either way, I hope they're ready for the elevation change in Colorado Springs. It's 6,000+ feet above sea level, so their cardio training needs to be high. It will likely affect all of the skaters.

icebeauty

On the Ice
Some of the timing of us nationals is due to avoiding Christmas to new year's.I wonder whether some of the rest is avoiding football playoffs.

yes conflicting with football is the main reason why Nationals is the last weekend of January...that's the only way FS will get TV time...

Ivy, I agree with you, men's and dance has a very high chance of being worlds podium (or at least same top three)...women's also has a small chance, less likely, but the Euro ladies haven't been cutting it for me.

Trewyn

Medalist
Either way, I hope they're ready for the elevation change in Colorado Springs. It's 6,000+ feet above sea level, so their cardio training needs to be high. It will likely affect all of the skaters.

I saw Ashley post on twitter/facebook that she was beginning altitude training after her two days off. I was like 'oh right... altitude... probably even worse than jet lag!'!

gio

Medalist
Thailand has three ladies, Philippines two ladies and men and Brazil two men! :) Unfortunately no Argentina and India. :disapp:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Any insight on Armin M. (USA) was passed over for this? I was rather surprised (and so was he)

mskater93

Record Breaker

mostly it's to avoid the NFL playoffs. Nationals has always been the week between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl except the one year that the NFL started a week late and didn't have the down week.

icebeauty

On the Ice
I saw Ashley post on twitter/facebook that she was beginning altitude training after her two days off. I was like 'oh right... altitude... probably even worse than jet lag!'!

and on that note...Patrick will definitely clobber the men's field even if he falls 4 times

(this is kind of meant as a joke as I enjoy watching Patrick and when he's on, he's GREAT...BUT I just don't get it when he falls (how JW feels)...nonetheless, I believe he can be beat (Jeremy thinks so too). So let's hope for a good and fair competition)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes, because Chan is the only skater to score higher PCS for a skate with multiple falls than a clean one.

Takahashi's PCS with 3 falls was ~9 points over a clean Hanyu's winning LP, and was ~5 points over Kozuka with 1 fall. These are two of the top Men in the world. He consistently scored higher PCS with falls over clean rivals in last season's GP though sometimes not enough to win.

eta. This is to call out the inaccuracy of your statement. :) Imagine, ImaginaryPogue being inaccurate. :biggrin: It's not to knock Takahashi. I love the high PCS skaters as I have stated repeatedly. They make the sport enjoyable and programs memorable.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Takahashi's PCS with 3 falls was ~9 points over a clean Hanyu's winning LP, and was ~5 points over Kozuka with 1 fall. These are two of the top Men in the world. He consistently scored higher PCS with falls over clean rivals in last season's GP though sometimes not enough to win.

eta. This is to call out the inaccuracy of your statement. :) Imagine, ImaginaryPogue being inaccurate. :biggrin: It's not to knock Takahashi. I love the high PCS skaters as I have stated repeatedly. They make the sport enjoyable and programs memorable.

I was being sarcastic. It seems that everyone truly truly believes that Chan is the only one who's PCS stay at the level they are at regardless of skate cleanliness, and that's emphatically not true. It's just frustrating. It's like being told black is white over and over again, and then being stampeded by zebras.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was being sarcastic. It seems that everyone truly truly believes that Chan is the only one who's PCS stay at the level they are at regardless of skate cleanliness, and that's emphatically not true. It's just frustrating. It's like being told black is white over and over again, and then being stampeded by zebras.

They would be too happy to take your sarcasm at face value. See, even ImaginaryPogue agrees that black is white! Welcome to the dark side! :yay: