Plushy at Europeans | Golden Skate

Plushy at Europeans

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well what can I say!

Apologies as this could probably go in the Men's LP thread but since I'm having to do a U-turn on my opinion of Pluschenko I think it does deserve its own thread (just for seniorita).

I have to admit to being blown away by his skating live. His presence on the ice was matched by not a single other skater at the event. His command of the ice, of the performance, of all of his movement is really electric to behold live. I seriously never thought I would write those words but it is true. His jumps are even more phenomenal in person, and while his spins on the competitive ice were only so-so (really just his back camel as the sit spins were not only all the way down but fast), in practice he can hit the positions and keep up the speed in a way that didn't happen in the competition.

There's a lot to say for someone stepping onto the ice like they are already the champion and skating like they've already won, everyone else seemed hesitant (with the exception of Amodio who was also great).

Watching live for the first time also made me see how strong persoinalities really project to the back of the stadium in a way that you don't see on TV because the cameras have you right up close. I guess it is the difference of a theatre actor compared to a tv actor - a simple facial expression can make a skating performance wonderful on TV but makes absolutely no difference from the 15th row of the live audience.

Anyway - maybe i'll be a new fan just for seniorita!

Ant

PS: meeting seniorita was probably the highlight of the whole competition! She is just as fun and great company as you would imagine! We needed a broomstick to get her down from ceiling after Plushy won, and it was really great to see!

antmanb

Record Breaker
You are indeed a lucky guy (referring not just to Plushenko but to the PS.) :)

I am indeed. Just as everyone should have the experience of seeing Plushy live at least once in their lives, they definitely need the pleasure of meeting seniorita live at least once in their lives....i'm hoping I'll see her more than once in my life!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I'm having to do a U-turn on my opinion of Pluschenko...

...His command of the ice, of the performance, of all of his movement is really electric to behold live. I seriously never thought I would write those words but it is true. His jumps are even more phenomenal in person, and while his spins on the competitive ice were only so-so (really just his back camel as the sit spins were not only all the way down but fast), in practice he can hit the positions and keep up the speed in a way that didn't happen in the competition.

There's a lot to say for someone stepping onto the ice like they are already the champion and skating like they've already won..
Lovely! Years of posting multi-thousand posts, full of critics of the skater who mr. critics has never seen live. And now a U-turn! The great man really could give some people a chance to redeem themselves. Still it puzzles me, if others, who actually saw him live more than once, were saying excatly the same things that the critics is speaking now, why such a lack of trust. Yeah, a rhetorical question. Never mind. :p

seniorita

Record Breaker
Broomstick? :laugh:
:) Well I think in my practice reports here I mentioned you alot!
I remember after Tallin Ant had said it would be great to watch a competition together once but I didnt think it would happen and be so that great in reality! It was a big honor to meet him and I dont think this fs trip can be topped by any other in the future, unless Ant comes to future Gp, Euros, Worlds and Sochi :biggrin: I cant imagine this Championship without him, and yes he topped even the Plushy win! It just wouldnt be the same without him.
We had so much fun together, I should have noted down all the laughs in practices, I m amazed how he can speak and comment while watching all 5 skaters in practice group simultaneously, see details of their skating and drink coffee at the same time! :p All the fans I travelled with were charmed with him!

I wish we sat together also for ice dance for the gossips, since we both had no clue of the discipline, that would have been hilarious! Because none came with me that night and I sat alone with a group of people who knitted! And he had patience to watch all early groups and cheer for all! I admit I skipped all 3 groups of ladies in Lp cause I was still partying for men! And also skipped the group Pfeiffer was in sp, it was just too much to see Lady Caliph there.
I hope I didnt brainwash him about Plushy, I tried not to anyway! But I m very happy he enjoyed his skating, it would be fine if he wouldnt but still, this is amazing!

Ant, reuters wrote that Plushenko has many noisy fans..wonder why..:cool:

thanx Mm, also!

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ lets talk, it is always fantastic for people to discover alone how different someone can look in reality, I have changed my opinion for many skaters when watched them live. Besides Ant has always been knowledgable and been critisizing stuff Plushy was actually doing not so good and now he tried to improve them. I think he toned his skating down and started skating more free and calm. Having seen him live the last few years, I d say Ant was rather lucky to see Plushenko 's best ever skate for me for the last 5 years. It certainly topped Torino Lp :)

Maybe Ant brought him luck, in which case i will take Ant to Sochi as a mascot! A cheburashka!

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Besides Ant has always been knowledgable and been critisizing stuff Plushy was actually doing not so good and now he tried to improve them. I think he toned his skating down and started skating more free and calm. Having seen him live the last few years, I d say Ant was rather lucky to see Plushenko 's best ever skate for me for the last 5 years.
The things that ISU demand under the currentt rules, like spins and etc., indeed got better, somehow. But Plush is far from his best shape. While his command of the ice, of the performance, of all of his electric movements, phenomenal jumps, etc., were always with him. Come on... when didn't the guy step onto the ice like he is already the champion, like he has already won? He always stepped like the one! And that was one of the reason why he was called "arrogant ***" by ciber bullies, who have never seen his skating live and have never met him in person. Glad to see that at least some of them got lighten up.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Broomstick? :laugh:
:) Well I think in my practice reports here I mentioned you alot!
I remember after Tallin Ant had said it would be great to watch a competition together once but I didnt think it would happen and be so that great in reality! It was a big honor to meet him and I dont think this fs trip can be topped by any other in the future, unless Ant comes to future Gp, Euros, Worlds and Sochi :biggrin: I cant imagine this Championship without him, and yes he topped even the Plushy win! It just wouldnt be the same without him.
We had so much fun together, I should have noted down all the laughs in practices, I m amazed how he can speak and comment while watching all 5 skaters in practice group simultaneously, see details of their skating and drink coffee at the same time! :p All the fans I travelled with were charmed with him!

I wish we sat together also for ice dance for the gossips, since we both had no clue of the discipline, that would have been hilarious! Because none came with me that night and I sat alone with a group of people who knitted! And he had patience to watch all early groups and cheer for all! I admit I skipped all 3 groups of ladies in Lp cause I was still partying for men! And also skipped the group Pfeiffer was in sp, it was just too much to see Lady Caliph there.
I hope I didnt brainwash him about Plushy, I tried not to anyway! But I m very happy he enjoyed his skating, it would be fine if he wouldnt but still, this is amazing!

Ant, reuters wrote that Plushenko has many noisy fans..wonder why..:cool:

thanx Mm, also!

It really was an amazing experience to get to see the practices and have seniorita show the ropes about practices etc. and she was very generous with the coffees, i'm only sad i didn't get to enjoy an alcoholic drink with her!

She also came extremely prepared with whistles and even a vuvuzela! Thank you also for my present! You are a little star!

I am certain that we will definitely see each other at more skating events in the future! Maybe i'll even start getting into ice dance? If CDs had still been going i'd have gone to watch them!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ant dont give me away,:eek: there were around 15-20 whistles, i was not even the one who had the football whistle!! I gave the vuvuzela to a little boy the first day, i dont its destiny after that!!!:laugh:

!Let's talk certainly evgeni is not in his 2001-2003 shape, but it was relative speaking, but for me he looks even better than Torino and certainly 2009-2010 season, his lp speed was way better than Talinn and now he looks more strong. Anyway this lp i ll put it on my ipod, for me it was the best of lately!

Also his hair got more platinum :) so Ant couldnt have missed him!

Ps what is ropes of practices??? :/

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I just want to pop here to say that it's fun to read all the details you both wrote!

Ant, it's historic!:biggrin: This thread should be in The Edge! I'm wondering how many new fans Plushenko has gained this time? I want to know what Joe is thinking about him now. Where is Joe? I hope he's healthy!

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We got no coverage of Europeans here in the US, so its wonderful to hear you two telling us about it!!! Thank you ant & seniorita!!!

but I wish you had attended the ice dance. That produced the strangest results of the competition, and I'd love to hear about that too.

seniorita

Record Breaker
We got no coverage of Europeans here in the US, so its wonderful to hear you two telling us about it!!! Thank you ant & seniorita!!!

but I wish you had attended the ice dance. That produced the strangest results of the competition, and I'd love to hear about that too.
Doris I went to ice dance:), Ant didnt! I went to FD on Friday night after ladies sp. I saw only the last 2 groups but I dont know what to say because I m not aware of the rules. Thats why I didnt write much about it. I m amazed about their speed in general and edges, but this discipline makes me anxious because I feel their feet will crash or their clothes will be perplexed.

P/B looked fantastic to me, but I m a fan. I m so ignorant about ice dance, if they dont fall and they dont mess their twizzles I dont know what else I m supposed to pay attention to. P/B had the coolest lifts for me. I thought R/T team was weak even if they skated probably well, B/S they are a good team? I know they medalled but I find her too much dramatic and also they seemed rushed.
I/K have grown as a team, last time I saw the was when they won Juniors. Still they skated far apart at many points. I didnt know they were 7th on SD. Still this is Morosov recipie, it is like what he did with ANdo and now Leonova, drama for the drama, not much substance.

My fave were C/L , the italians that I ve seen many times in shows already like P/B and their program was fantastic, but since they got 4th I guessed they werent so good? I/K music is brainwashing, as I said in another thread it burnt my head and after I was singing it all next day! I dont know what else to say, you want videos link from Euros?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker

I did wonder if I should stay to watch the dance but if I'm really honest the little i've seen of the Short Dance format I have really not enjoyed, and when it came to the FD i'm glad i skipped it, only because snow closed my quickest route home and then there were three bad accidents on the motorway causing 5 hour delays which meant a scary 3 hour drive home over snowy tiny roads in freezing fog :eek:

I gather that the Brits coming in 4th in the SD brought the house down and I did hear very positive things about their performance (not just from Brits!).

Like seniorita, I don't really know what I am looking for in dance, I don't know the rules or levels for the twizzles or lifts, and I find something lacking from the adrenaline of the jumps/throws, and spins and lifts of the other three disciplines.

I had just started engaging a little more with the compulsory dances just as they were scrapped :disapp: which is a shame. I might venture into learning some of the first dances in my own skating, so that should help my interest in dance.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I might venture into learning some of the first dances in my own skating, so that should help my interest in dance.

Please do the Fabian and the mummy! :biggrin:

I watched FD from greek eurosport last night, they have replays all this month, it is so different to what I watched live, like i was not there!
And I watched Lloyd and he looks so handsome from close up.:love: I m not sure why I ve missed him before. I m a fan!

Ice dance has the most cool male skaters. :cool:

seniorita

Record Breaker
You just have a thing for blondes!!! :laugh:

^ really?I dont know what gave you that impression!:eek::
;)

I wanted to say also I was glad to meet bestskate from here, although we didnt speak much but at least she found me (her husband made the best videos! :rock:) because i couldnt find her, and I also met Tatjana Flade and I was thrilled to finally talk to her, and I bought my support Japan pin!:clap:

Doris what results were iffy in ice dance? Capelini Lanote not medalling?
Btw in ladies I never got why Leonova was so undermarked judging from her sp performance.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I just want to pop here to say that it's fun to read all the details you both wrote!

Ant, it's historic!:biggrin: This thread should be in The Edge! I'm wondering how many new fans Plushenko has gained this time? I want to know what Joe is thinking about him now. Where is Joe? I hope he's healthy!
In fact it's quite easy to be a fan of Plush. Simply because he never makes his fans feel down. He always wins, or almost always. So it's a kind of habit for us to celebrate and party after each event where he was in. Seems like Medvedev joined the club and invited Plush to Kremlin. Well, actually he invited all Russian team because to invite Plush only wouldn't look politically correct, or whatever crappy expression should be used here. It happened the first time to my knowledge, that European champons&team were invited to the President residence. Actually, Plush twittered that he was going to meet Putin, and then he met Medvedev. The choice of the upper official obviously took place in the Sochi spirit.
Btw, Plush changed the date of his operation in Munich from 21 into 23 of February.

Posted this stuff in the attempt to put the thread back on topic. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
In fact it's quite easy to be a fan of Plush. Simply because he never makes his fans feel down. He always wins, or almost always. So it's a kind of habit for us to celebrate and party after each event where he was in.

It's easy to be his fan doesn't mean that it's easy to turn into his fan. Those are different things.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lets talk you know how much I like you :) but I completely disagree that a skater needs to win to make you a fan, and I don't get disappointed in defeats with the skaters. I would be a lysacek or Chan or Yuna uber if that was the case, actually the last two I quite enjoy anyway but my heart hopes when dai, Mao or Kozuka skate. My first headcase of a skater is Mirai!
if I was super Oda fan I would mind probably though...

Maybe people get impressed by Plushy record win blah blah but in Euros he did much more than the usual invisible aura that won people over, I agree with Bluebonnet with this, I want to find his interview with Flade because it is first tome I saw plush bouncing like a child instead of his usual icy attitude