Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Hi, I am curious as to what a typical training session designed to improve stroking looks like. What kind of exercises do the skaters do?

The exercises looking like skating around the rink at top speed in a herd. The skaters focus on body position, getting good glide, and proper pushing of the blade.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Ashley I think will do quite well. She's been looking strong all season, since the summer, and now with a 2A-3T she has even higher scoring potential. Agnes Zawadski is the biggest question mark, I think. She has had only one solid program this season, the SP at National's. The FS at National's was more like her typical program this season. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I noticed that Ashley was looking leaner and more muscular at Nationals. Agnes always looks to be in great shape.

brightphoton

Medalist
More muscles makes it easier to skate well. It's not a bad thing to wish for skaters (and people in general) to eat well and exercise regularly.

Besides, Polymer Bob only comments on skaters who look very fit and healthy and strong, and never makes fun of skaters for being the opposite.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hi, I am curious as to what a typical training session designed to improve stroking looks like. What kind of exercises do the skaters do?

YMMV, but for a 1 hour lesson with my coach focused on "performance and skating" (his words), he has me do:
a lap of forward power stroking (prejuvenile MIF test)
backward power stroking (prejuvenile MIF test)
Focusing on even-ness of push, quality of edge, carriage, and ice coverage for each of those.
Then we proceed to a mohawk-crossover pattern with similar focus as the first two.
Then to the "next level" of the mohawk crossover exercise with back inside double threes between focusing on body line and extension in the double threes.
Then to the "third level" of the same exercise with a counter to change circles between instead of a plain stroke.
Then slow figure 8 crossovers forward focusing on even-ness of push, generation of power (slow being the tempo of the crossover, not the speed across the ice)
Then slow figure 8 crossovers backward focusin on even-ness of push and generation of power
We do forward outside circles (in preparation for the forward loop pattern in MIF) down one length followed by insides on the other, focusing on upper body and knee action
We flip it and do it backwards with the same focus
We do power pulls from a dead stop down the length of the ice on each foot with the free foot resting on a hockey puck to learn how to only use the skating leg to generate power (R+L, F/B)
We do forward and backward cross strokes followed by forward and backward inside slips focusing on knee action of the skating foot

Finally we do alternating single, double, and triple twizzles down the length of the ice focusing on foot placement and upper body position (or the Novice back twizzles), or the forward and backward loops from the Novice and Junior MIF, or the alternating rocker-choctaws from the Novice MIF, the counters and rockers from Novice and Junior respectively or pieces of the sustained edge step from Senior MIF. (I am currently working on my Novice MIF, so the Junior and Senior stuff is a lot harder for me than the Novice stuff since I work on it ONLY in lessons because I am not comfortable with them yet).

Depending on when in the season it is, we may work on the step sequences in my programs or just skate through the choreography of my programs (without jumps and spins) if they are done near the end of a stroking session.
Any or all of these items may be repeated if I don't "get" the purpose of the exercise which cuts into the bottom items.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Besides, Polymer Bob only comments on skaters who look very fit and healthy and strong, and never makes fun of skaters for being the opposite.

Saying skaters are not fit and need to lose weight is both dangerous and unhealthy. He's not their coach, their trainer or their parent. Far too many girls fall victim to eating disorders and reading crap like - she needs to lose weight, which he has posted ad naseum in regard to Zhang, feeds into body dismorphia. Puberty is a very dangerous time for eating disorders, especially for athletes who struggle to come to terms with their new bodies.

R.D.

Record Breaker
DL- you took the words out of my mouth (fingers). I really am sick and tired of all the talk about needing to lose weight, etc. There may be an "optimal" body type for skating but different types have been successful as well. I can only imagine what it must be like in the skating community (coaches, parents, etc.)- probably just as bad if not worse than what fans say on the boards. Ugh

(And to add insult to injury- try typing in "caroline zhang" into Google and take a good look at the first search suggestion :disapp: )

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I totally agree on the losing weight thing/what skaters eat. Look at Harding - she was NEVER a waif and she had HUGE jumps, even when she wasn't training optimally/coach hopping/etc. The comment on her thighs (I believe it's in the US pairs thread) was WAY too much. Ito in her prime was also never a waif and came back when she reinstated with disordered eating that put HER in the hospital (officially hospitalized for "anemia") and cut short her comeback. Someone mentioned in a thread about Bobek having a philly cheesesteak and fries while Kwan was having sushi at a comp they ran into them at. Well, it could be a post competition celebratory/consolation meal for Bobek if she had done well/badly after being regimented in portions/food choices up to that point during the season, especially if it was the last competition of the season.

brightphoton

Medalist
Eating disorders and body image problems are inherent problems when girls wearing revealing, skimpy clothes. Happens in gymnastics, cheerleading, modeling, pageants, bodybuilding. Comes with the job, whatcha gonna do.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Just because it's inherent in the sport, doesn't mean that fans should contribute to it. It's enough that skaters, coaches, and peers contribute.

brightphoton

Medalist
You can pretend that you don't notice their fitness levels if you want. After all, Rachael Flatt's fans know about her body, even if they choose to prefer to not acknowledge it.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There are practice reports coming in here and at FSUniverse. Agnes and Caroline have been seen executing their triple/triples in their short program run-throughs. It should be an exciting event.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You can pretend that you don't notice their fitness levels if you want. After all, Rachael Flatt's fans know about her body, even if they choose to prefer to not acknowledge it.

Well, as is often said- if you've got nothing nice to say...

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Eating disorders and body image problems are inherent problems when girls wearing revealing, skimpy clothes. Happens in gymnastics, cheerleading, modeling, pageants, bodybuilding. Comes with the job, whatcha gonna do.

Eating disorders are made much worse when young, impressionable skaters go on message boards and post that Sally Skater is fat. Sally is already struggling with her body because puberty does that to an athlete and then she reads that on top of the problem that she can't do half the stuff she used to do, everyone is commenting that she's fat, and it sends her over the edge.

It really is none of the fans' business what weight a skater is. That's between the skater, her parents and her coaches. If weight is an issue, it's up to them to deal with it.

Last but not least, skaters read the board. People tell them not to but they do. How would you feel if all these strangers said you were fat. Kelly Osbourne has talked about the pain of reading people's comments on the internet.

So choose to be part of the solution and not part of the problem and ignore the issue.

I agree with brightphoton. If young girls can't bear public comment on their fitness level, and aren't willing to get themselves into shape, they should reconsider going into a sport that entails doing solos in front of crowds and on TV in tiny sparkly dresses that expose most of their bodies. There are lots of other sports where they can cover up, or they can skate non-competitively.

Censorship is a slippery slope. You start by banning body comments, then you ban any sharp criticism, then you end up with a boring board and fans who are muzzled in a way that's different from fans of any other sport.

That said, I like that courtesy prevails on this site. If it were like sports radio and women (for example) were constantly being insulted, I wouldn't be here. But we're a long way from that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Still gonna side with DL on this one. Especially since I'm the one who started this thread- I most certainly don't want the discussion to turn to weight.

Attempting to move on from this- It has been reported on Twitter that Zhang did a runthrough of her freeskate at Four Continents practice today and missed only one jump. She's said to be "[looking] very solid".

Dragonlady

Final Flight
If young girls can't bear public comment on their fitness level, and aren't willing to get themselves into shape, they should reconsider going into a sport that entails doing solos in front of crowds and on TV in tiny sparkly dresses that expose most of their bodies.

If these girls weren't "in shape" they would never be able to do the jumps and spins that they do. I don't think you or I or anyone on this board is qualified to comment on their fitness levels.

If these girls weren't "in shape" they would never be able to do the jumps and spins that they do. I don't think you or I or anyone on this board is qualified to comment on their fitness levels.
If the right to comment on a skater were limited to those whose proficiency equals that of the skaters, there wouldn't be any fan boards. Fans comment on athletes' fitness all the time. Ever check out the word on CC Sabathia, among others?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204661604577185101342728264.html

Sure, even the less fit elite skaters can do amazing things. They could be even more amazing if they were in tip-top shape.

mskater93

Record Breaker
But who are fans to say whether a skater is in "tip-top shape" or could be fitter? There are different body types. People always talked smack about Sarah and Emily Hughes being "fat" but they had exomorphic body types versus endomophic. Do you think Sarah would have been Olympic Champion if she weren't in shape? Yet, people always talked about how "big" she was. Some skaters that fans have praised as in "perfect" condition have since come out and said they had disordered eating (Jenny Kirk, anyone?) and some skaters that people rail on as "fat" or "overweight" or "huge" have been some of the biggest stars/most technically talented in their time (Ito, Harding). Please, disordered eating and eating disorders are HUGE problems in this sport, let's not add to it by giving a kid struggling through puberty a complex that they are "fat" or "out of shape".