All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 19 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Wow..that's excellent for O/W..great experience for them.:)..but I may have to take to my fainting couch over P/I:disapp:..Speaking of whom , they ought to be getting a start on their new situation by now..I hope all goes well for them , and I'd love to hear some word that they're putting last year's nightmare behind them.

Here I thought I'd be spending the summer waiting to hear about them and Vanessa and her new partner..oops! (Vanessa's facebook page said there'd be an update on her this week..I'm not on facebook..has there been anything yet ?) ... But now, of course there's all the..:eek::unsure:??? ..over Shpilband and V/M's situation in Canton.

Who would've thought ?..looking back there were a few signs of stress ..but I would have thought they'd be able to be worked out .

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How did O/W get the event? Did someone withdraw or did they get an invitation?

Withdraw. Nazarova/Nikitin, the young Ukranian team, got a spot and withdrew. I expect they're gonna stay on the junior circuit for another year, though. They just eeked by onto the top 24 scores list.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO Nazarova/Nikitin were selected for CoR as the sacrificial lamb---the low team on the totem pole in the event. The replacement team had to be one of the top teams on the Seasons Best list without a second assignment:

#18 Tobias/Stagniunas
#20 Chock/Bates
#21 Orford/Williams

This is now the lineup for CoR:

#2 Virtue/Moir
#7 Ilinyk/Katsalapov
#8 Shibutanis
#9 Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
#13 Coomes/Buckland
#16 Zhiganshina/Gazsi
#21 Orford/Williams
Monko/Khaliavin don't have a SB score because they didn't compete last season, but they were #16 on the 2011/2012 SB list.

Looks like O/W are going to have to fight not to be the anchor in this competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting it appears Russia is look at their junior teams - is this for Sochi or after Sochi? Does anyone know who is the Russia no. 1 in dance? Will R and T get dropped from the world team? Do you think I and K will make a huge move on the world scene now or will B and S come back figting harder than ever?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Clearly an All Things Russian Ice Dance thread is needed here at GS :laugh:

Sounds like a good idea to me. We used to look to the Russians for drama on and off the ice, but after the goings on in Canton this week, we've been lulled into a false sense of security there. Still waters really do run deep.

With the Russians sweeping Jr. Worlds this year, there is going to be a lot of jockeying for the three spots on the Worlds team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With the Russians sweeping Jr. Worlds this year, there is going to be a lot of jockeying for the three spots on the Worlds team.

The Russians did NOT sweep ice dance at JW 2012. Aldridge/Eaton (USA) won the bronze medal.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well sorry folks I meant the Russians are so uniquely tied with the Canadian results. Weaver and \Poje look poised to bring down the French but i sense all three Russian teams looking to make huge improvements. I do think V and M are capable of winning OGM but they will have to have a great vehicle and maybe separate themselves from D and W. I like V and m's work but I have to say absolutely NONE of the current teams have the vibe, the artistry, the command over the ice in respect to personalilties of say Anissina and Pezeriat (sorry I don't really remember the name); Krylova and Oksianikov who were knocked out by injury, Klimova and Pomarenko, Usova and Zhulin, Bestimianava and Bukin. The passion, the fire isn't there; they just are aren't organic in their artistry or passion. I hope they can work on that.

Macassar88

Medalist
Well sorry folks I meant the Russians are so uniquely tied with the Canadian results. Weaver and \Poje look poised to bring down the French but i sense all three Russian teams looking to make huge improvements. I do think V and M are capable of winning OGM but they will have to have a great vehicle and maybe separate themselves from D and W. I like V and m's work but I have to say absolutely NONE of the current teams have the vibe, the artistry, the command over the ice in respect to personalilties of say Anissina and Pezeriat (sorry I don't really remember the name); Krylova and Oksianikov who were knocked out by injury, Klimova and Pomarenko, Usova and Zhulin, Bestimianava and Bukin. The passion, the fire isn't there; they just are aren't organic in their artistry or passion. I hope they can work on that.
I think that Tessa and Scott have the passion and the talent and everything else, but their choreography is pulling them down. I think that they are still head and shoulders above the field in everything else and have enough talent to make their programs better than everyone elses.
I know that they aren't going to get outside choreography, but I still wish they would. They need someone more innovative than Marina.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice

I absolutely do not agree with this. There are different ways to show passion and artistry. There is no ice dance team in the world that can marry the technical ability, unision, chemistry, yes, passion the way Tessa and Scott can. There's a reason why so many people think they should/must be dating. And they have proven this with so many different styles....Pink Floyd, Mahler, Funny Face, Umbrellas, Latin.... We saw Farraccas and Mahler in the same Olympics! They are pure dancers, with perfect lines, edges, unison, and absolute musicality. How they used and brought so much to Funny Face was simply astounding. Their genius is well recognized and respected by their fellow competitors and other coaches alike. Do they have "over the top" drama? Nope. That's not Virtue/Moir. But that's what makes them so amazing and so genius. They don't need to be divas or overly dramatic. They need to be themselves, which they are, and it is a privilege to watch....

To me, I worry about the current trend that seems to reward speed over quality, and thinks that a whole bunch of facial expressions equals artistry. To me its about the dance...the relationship between the man and the woman, the musicality, the ability to interpret a style of dance, along with the precision and unison and edges and difficulty. No one does that like Tessa and Scott.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
They need someone more innovative than Marina.

I thought Funny Face was very innovative. When did someone last translate a broadway/movie musical on ice in a 4 minute program? When did someone last skate to Mahler. If you define innovative as something never before seen on ice, I would say that the French team's Mummy program met that criteria and it was dreadful.

People wept when V&M skated to Mahler. I saw that program live on three different occasions and people were weeping every single time. One friend, who was a serious Davis & White fan, said that the only way that program wouldn't touch you is if you didn't have a soul. How do you create choreography to touch people like that if not by greatness?

I think Marina Zueva is a genius, because of her work with the Canton teams and with G&G.

Macassar88

Medalist
I thought Funny Face was very innovative. When did someone last translate a broadway/movie musical on ice in a 4 minute program? When did someone last skate to Mahler. If you define innovative as something never before seen on ice, I would say that the French team's Mummy program met that criteria and it was dreadful.

People wept when V&M skated to Mahler. I saw that program live on three different occasions and people were weeping every single time. One friend, who was a serious Davis & White fan, said that the only way that program wouldn't touch you is if you didn't have a soul. How do you create choreography to touch people like that if not by greatness?

I think Marina Zueva is a genius, because of her work with the Canton teams and with G&G.
I think that the programs are amazing but my opinion is that the reason why Mahler and funny face were so great was because of Tessa and Scott. Not because of Marina's choreography. I feel like they could do even more with a better choreography.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I think that the programs are amazing but my opinion is that the reason why Mahler and funny face were so great was because of Tessa and Scott. Not because of Marina's choreography. I feel like they could do even more with a better choreography.

The programs would not be great, no matter how well they were skated, if the choreography was not good in the first place.

If you don't mind my asking, who do you consider a great ice-dance choreographer, amongst today's choreographers? Other than Camerlengo, I can't think of any. I love Christopher Dean's work but I'm not sure how well his "no changes" philosphy works. Programs need to grow throughout the season and his rules don't work well with that.