Dornbush to replace Abbott at 4CC's | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Dornbush to replace Abbott at 4CC's

rosem

Spectator
True. But Miner skated an ever better SP than he did at Nationals or at the GP event (CoC? I think?) that he medalled at.

So it can be done.

But yes, Armin should definitely get the SA host invite slot if he doesn't land 2 slots of his own in some other way. He has definitely been robbed, IMO.

I am not sure Armin would get any GP assignment it seems like they going by SB which hes around 190 and also he is very low in the world ranking. I keep my finger cross for him.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
His best hope is a host pick from USFS for Skate America. They can pick whomever they want, without referring to the season's best list.

Looking at everything that happened this year, I think the USFSA is sending a clear signal that in the future they intend to be more active in selecting skaters for Four Continents and Worlds.

The changes in the wording of the bylaws have been in place for a couple of years now, but I for one thought this was just "contract language." Ms. St. Peter's public comment that it would be entirely within the federation's prerogative to send Gracie Gold to senior worlds if the other ladies didn't step up definitely had the effect of waking people up to the possibility that change was in the air.

Personally, I don't like it. The whole process seems to be leaning on an ever more Machiavellian slant.

(On the other hand, Go Caroline Zhang! ;) )

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Looking at everything that happened this year, I think the USFSA is sending a clear signal that in the future they intend to be more active in selecting skaters for Four Continents and Worlds.

Despite of Dornbush's weak showing at 4CC, I still think USFSA is doing the right thing to actively involve in it. A leading organization should have this little responsibility and authority to make decision for a country.:yes:

Last edited:

rosem

Spectator
Despite of Dornbush's weak showing at 4CC, I still think USFSA is doing the right thing to actively involve in it. A leading organization should have this little responsibility and authority to make decision for a country.:yes:

Sorry this sounds like a federation from a third world country, authority to make decision for a country???:no: That is no longer a sport???

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Sorry this sounds like a federation from a third world country, authority to make decision for a country???:no: That is no longer a sport???

Unless you think that Japan, France, Russia, and sometimes Canada are third world countries.;)

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I guess what strikes me as odd is that last year Jeremy just missed the podium and didn't get to go to Worlds, yet Richard finishes 11th and gets to go to 4CC. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with these picks which is frustrating.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I guess what strikes me as odd is that last year Jeremy just missed the podium and didn't get to go to Worlds, yet Richard finishes 11th and gets to go to 4CC. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with these picks which is frustrating.

I agree that last year and this year USFSA acted differently. I'd think that they've realized that how stupid the decision was last year not to send Jeremy to the world. They did make right decision to send Caroline Zhang to 4CC this time.;)

Hmmm, maybe Dornbush read this thread before 4CC? (kidding):)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I'm coming into this thread late and haven't read all 14 pages but felt like replying to 2 posts on this page.

I think either 4CC is really close to USA nationals and skaters are tired, or we jinxed him! But Rippon didnt do well either!
Actually, Rippon set new season best scores for his SP, FS and Total at Four Continents and he finished 4th behind Ross Miner by less than 2 points (one could argue that the bronze could have gone to either man, and Miner wasn't even sure if he had done enough, based on his reaction in the kiss and cry when he realized he had won the bronze). Rippon had a flukey slip off his landing edge on his Lutz in the SP and he landed 7 triples in his FS (skating in the 2nd to last group), with the popped second triple axel being a costly mistake of course. Plus, he didn't seem winded at all after his FS, unlike the majority of other men. I applaud Ross Miner for skating the best SP -- maybe of his life! -- at 4CC. It truly was deserving of the new ISU personal best SP score he set.

Really a shame Armin couldn't go. I know some people feel 4CC isn't that important of a competition, but it is; just look at who Canada and Japan sent. It's not clear to me why the USFSA has decided to deviate so far from its Worlds selection criteria when choosing athletes to attend this event.
I posted this in the Was Czisny's Omission From The U.S. Team for The 4CC's A Snub? thread:
"I believe there was a new selection policy in place for 2012 Four Continents but it is not available online for the public to view at this time (not sure if the skaters/coaches have access to it, but I would hope they do)."

As bad as I feel for Armin missing out, my heart does go out to Richard. I hope he's not starting to develop a mental block for doing clean SP's. We saw how long it too Ashley to get over that.
I've been watching Dornbush compete at Nationals since he was a Novice, and he tends to make mistakes in his SP and then come back strongly in the FS. It's not a new thing for him.

Last edited:
"I believe there was a new selection policy in place for 2012 Four Continents but it is not available online for the public to view at this time (not sure if the skaters/coaches have access to it, but I would hope they do)."

Do you mean a selection policy that is different from the one published in the official 2012 USFSA rule book?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Do you mean a selection policy that is different from the one published in the official 2012 USFSA rule book?
Yes. My understanding is that if the USFS Board of Directors had voted to approve a new 4 Continents team selection policy before 2012 Nationals, then I think it would have been in effect by Nationals. But I can't confirm any of this at the moment.

As I also posted in the Czisny thread today:
"Bottom line: Whatever the selection policy was that was used for 2012 4 Continents, there is still subjectivity involved when weighting the various criteria and events/competition results of the chosen skaters and alternates."