Lysacek and show skating? | Golden Skate

Lysacek and show skating?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
DID he do ANY shows this season? I have seen some of the Disson shows but don't recall Evan doing anything, anywhere. He was not with the SOI 10 city tour was he? Where is Evan, and why such a low profile?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No he wasn't in Disson or SOI, he probably didn't committ to either because he thought he was skating at Skate America and Nationals.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Toni, please refresh my memory as to exactly why he was not at SA and Nationals. These are competitions so he does not get money unless he places, right? No one gets an appearance fee for just showing up or do they? What did the gold medalists receive at Sa and nationals this season? Thanks if you know.

brightphoton

Medalist
No one gets an appearance fee for just showing up or do they?.

Evan thought he deserved an appearance fee, it didn't materialize, so he skipped out.

Supposedly. I think Evan got too fat to skate and made up this entire money excuse to save face at competition time. :rolleye:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In the good old golden days in the USA, skating stars used to get big fat bonuses to show up . AFAIK, Lysacek was negotiating his fees but at the end, it was not satisfactory. He blamed the USFSA for using his name and image before the deal was closed. I figure USFSA looked at the poor ticket sales and could not afford him. Trouble was the deal crumbled close to the competition date and was very disappointing for many fans. Lysacek was supposed to be well trained.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In the good old golden days in the USA, skating stars used to get big fat bonuses to show up . AFAIK, Lysacek was negotiating his fees but at the end, it was not satisfactory. He blamed the USFSA for using his name and image before the deal was closed. I figure USFSA looked at the poor ticket sales and could not afford him. Trouble was the deal crumbled close to the competition date and was very disappointing for many fans. Lysacek was supposed to be well trained.

Actually HE never did. His new agency did. The agency that works mainly with rockstars... All Evan said was an agreement was not made and he was bummed because he was ready to go. Frank Carroll said at SA that it was all "news to him" and he had no clue as to what was going on.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
From Lysacek's twitter:

on Jan.22,2012:

Getting ready for my flight to Dubai. So excited. I've never been to the Middle East.

on Jan.30,2012:

I had an amazing time in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I'm not great at taking photos, but I did capture a few good ones.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually HE never did. His new agency did. The agency that works mainly with rockstars... All Evan said was an agreement was not made and he was bummed because he was ready to go. Frank Carroll said at SA that it was all "news to him" and he had no clue as to what was going on.

When one is represented by somebody else, it's still all about the person giving the mandate and it is his name, his responsibility, his career, his money minus a cut, etc. One doesn't take orders from the representative, whom one can fire.

Last edited:

The other theory is that it wasn't about appearance fees at all, but rather that the USFSA wanted a cut of Lysacek's endorsement money from other sources, as is usual for skating federations.

The only thing that was announced by either side was that "it was about money."

Last edited:

sweetskates1

Medalist
I wish Evan had continued competing following his OGM win. Now, the nay-sayers will never cease to speak badly about him and will further tarnish his reputation as an undeserving quad-less champion. It seemed to me that he was 1) Not fat at all 2)Well-trained 3)Eager to return to competition. Maybe the demons started haunting him ie his quad-less repertoire, a re-emerging Plushenko, and the rising quad Squads.

Personally, he should retired. Unless, he is miraculously able to produce one quad in the SP and two quads in his LP in the fall.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The other theory is that it wasn't about appearance fees at all, but rather that the USFSA wanted a cut of Lysacek's endorsement money from other sources, as is usual for skating federations.

Except, when was the last time anyone saw Evan in a commercial?

Brandenburg

Rinkside
It has been established as this unfolded from folks who know that situation that the USFSA NEVER ASKED for any of Evan's money. That's absurb - they have no basis on which to do that and never would. Evan's new representation (and whomever said he controls that is quite right) asked for a very large appearance fee - clearly they do not understand the figure skating market or USFSA and the amounts of money that are possible. In recent years the USFSA has not paid appearance fees for anyone but even with that fact in place, Evan's agents asked for way more than they possibly could have paid or would have paid even in better years. I think there is a real lack of information and understanding there. The problem of course is that the person who pays the price for that is Evan.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Evan's new representation (and whomever said he controls that is quite right) asked for a very large appearance fee -
In recent years the USFSA has not paid appearance fees for anyone but even with that fact in place, Evan's agents asked for way more than they possibly could have paid or would have paid even in better years.

But if that's the case, Evan could have agreed to skate anyway. Evan's agents cannot stop him from skating.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What did Evan have as endorsements ever? I don't recall any. Katia Gordeeva was not evenn American and she and Daria had a "got milk."

Yes, I recall Scott saying he should skate at SA and the business of skating is of course, very different, but it seems like we never ever get a whole picture. FS seems like a club at time in the US rather than a serious federation making good judgenments. So he was supposed to skate, but apparently at last minute, the money issues prevented a deal. Then it was too late for him to sign on to shows. Well, it seems Evan does need some new reps. Is he practicing, anyone know? Does he want to compete? I hope he does, as he is a great competitor, if not the greatest skater, but darn good enough to do the big events and not choke. Beauty favors Rippon and Jeremy,(their skating, I mean) but so does inconsistency.

It does seem they should do their best to get together. Lysacek's famous work ethic and good health brought him to gold. This is a proven winner and I hope the behind the scenes federation stuff doesn't change his winning attitude. Given the current state of US men, I hope he comes back. Two years to get a consistent quad. The only skater presumably at Sochi with great confidence will be Evgeni.Everyone else we see now with the exception of Hanyu, will be battling age, injuries in many cases and lots of fear and nerves. Anyone else want to see Evan come back? What was his percentage of landed quad toes when he was doing this?

It does seem people are daunted by the "consistent" high numbers for Chan and maybe find reasons to avoid skating against him. I'd like to see Lysacek have one of 3 spots for USA if we get those 3 spots back. Even a second spot. It is interesting how many people were dying for MK to come back in 2010, including, it seemed for a bit MK, despite her not having a chance technically against the top women in the world in 2009. Evan I truly believe could be a podium threat for Sochi, and all I see are younger, maybe more talented skaters who are all chokers on the intl scene now. I think he made a mistake not skating and I hope it is not an totally unrealistic that a powerful Evan will come back.

If JWeir thinks he has a shot at the Sochi team, then Evan should have all the confidence in the world. Someone said USFSA is not at all enthralled with Evan anymore. Fact or fiction?

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Evan show skates at Stockholm Ice.

Reigning Olympic Champion Evan Lysacek from USA and reigning World Champion Miki Ando from Japan are the big attractions at Stockholm Ice April 9th……

Also: Lambiel, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov, Cappelini/Lanotte, V. Helgesson, Team Surprise and others.

Last edited:
Evan is a great show skater. Gives it his all. Skates with verve. Takes his performances seriously. :clap: :clap: :clap:

skateluvr said:
What did Evan have as endorsements ever?

I never saw any print ads or television spots aimed at the general public. But various financial reports that I read estimated that Evan got about a million dollars worth of financial opportunities from his Olympic gold medal, and another million out of his silver medal on Dancing with the Stars. (I'm not sure exactly what the sources of all this money were.)

Back in the day the value of an Olympic gold medal by an American lady (not sure about a man) was pegged at about 15 million. Tara was said to have been disappointed that she didn't get nearly that much off hers. Times were already changing. Even Kristi didn't rake in Dorothy Hamill money.