Tips for first-time figure skating spectators | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tips for first-time figure skating spectators

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wow, this makes me appreciate the fact that I've never had an unfavorable incident at a f.s. show or competition (or rock concert, circus, et al, for that matter). Now at a movie theatre, that's another story all together, some real disrespectful sobs out there. :bang:

My rule of thumb is to always try to be respectful to those around me, treat them as I would like to be treated, with common courtesy, the way my parents' taught me to be behave, as their parents taught them and so on.

That said, I have a good time talking with the people around me before the show (my favorite was talking to an octogenarian at a COI show way back in the 90's; he told me what the area used to look like back in his day, very congenial & nice). :) But during the show/competition I try to be respectful of those around me, which isn't hard to do, as my total focus is on the skater(s). Then when it's over I show my appreciation by clapping, standing, throwing my gifts to them, et al. It's so good to be giving a standing O to your favorite skater whilst everybody else is doing the same thing, just makes me want to cry with joy!!!! :love: Lol, I recall at the Olympics how magical it was to be in a such a crowd of people and to know, to actually *feel* their reaction was the same as mine when Zhenya landed his huge, magical, powerful jumps right in front of me ~ we ALL literally gasped aloud when he was tilted in the air but God set him down like a cat. :cool:

Lol, all this talk makes me want to go to another competition ASAP, as long as it's near Seattle, even over in Oregon or Canada would be good because they're actually closer to me than Spokane, Washington. :D

I'm envious of the creator of this thread, you're going to have a BLAST!!!!! :rock:

seniorita

Record Breaker
My suggestion for people who feel like this is that you may enjoy watching the skating at home a little better ;)

I say this as someone who attended his first competition at this past Europeans, and a lady who not only didn't have tickets for the seat she took in front of me had the audacity to complain to me about the amount of noise I was making for the skaters, which was actually pretty reserved - just clapping and the occasional whoop(and use of a noise maker that had been given to me by the people checking tickets who encouraged us to make noise) for skaters I really liked. Having complied with her request for the rest of the group and the one after I got very excitable for the last two groups so when she complained again I suggested she move to the seats she actually had tickets for some ten rows back where my noise making would not affect her as much.

LOL:laugh: I missed this. I had told you , above judges side is blah..:p
I should have been in your seat, it would have been fun for her. We cheered down to the 29th skater.

Tip: Bathroom queue as soon as the break begins. So run!
But dont get up when the last skater before the break is skating, it is rude I think!

skatinginbc

Medalist
My own experiences told me that practice sessions are the best time for photo opportunities with the skaters and getting their autographs. Alexei Yagudin talked about his birthday party, his green card application and literally his life story to me, a star-struck first-time spectator. And I had Plushenko sign his name right beside Yagudin's :biggrin:. And he kindly did.

My own experiences told me that practice sessions are the best time for photo opportunities with the skaters and getting their autographs. Alexei Yagudin talked about his birthday party, his green card application and literally his life story to me, a star-struck first-time spectator. And I had Plushenko sign his name right beside Yagudin's :biggrin:. And he kindly did.

BC, you're so lucky! Yagudin...I'd faint. And Plushenko! Seniorita would faint. Someday I'll get to a competition. And I'll go to all the practices.

antmanb

Record Breaker
BC, you're so lucky! Yagudin...I'd faint. And Plushenko! Seniorita would faint. Someday I'll get to a competition. And I'll go to all the practices.

I can confirm that Seniorita would not faint, she would (actually does!) scream....and scream....and SCREAM!!!! And maybe also swoon, followed closely by a scream!

seniorita

Record Breaker

I ve talked to plushy many times by now, I have developed non faint mechanism:biggrin:Actually he is very easy to talk to if you don't act like a stalker or sth! I haven't seen yagudin still live and how I wish to see him skating!

Ant is right I scream and jump a lot in competitions :laugh: and after competitions too...