MEN - Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

MEN - Short Program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And he didn't fall this time. It's another exaggeration quickly established.

Didn't I say there could be upset in the SP segment? My ESP told me he wouldn't be flawless at this comp, so I'll be happy if this is the major mistake.

Now the door is open for Dai.

Last edited:
Also, he fell in the SP at TEB and the GPF, and had two errors at SC (doubled the axel, hand down on the quad). A season best doesn't mean a perfect skate, just means it's better than the others :D
Oh, I forgot all that, sorry. I assumed he did a perfect SP at some point.

jaylee

Medalist
I think it only counts as a fall if his butt lands on the ice.

Nope, it's defined as a loss of control with the majority of the weight on something other than the blades. When a skater has hands down, sometimes the tech caller calls it a fall, sometimes they don't. depends on the panel.

http://gofigureskating.com/compete/scoring.html

I can't find the ISU place, but this site has pretty much the same definition:

For interpretation of this rule, a fall is defined as loss of control by a skater with the result that the majority of the skater’s own body weight is on the ice supported by any other part of the body other than the blades e.g. hand(s), knee(s), back, buttock(s) or any part of the arm.

Gudrun

Rinkside
Hi there

Does anyone know where to watch the SP online? I tried a Chinese feed but it doesn't work, they switched the programme to something else :-(

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh, I forgot all that, sorry. I assumed he did a perfect SP at some point.

Heh, no worries. I can't expect everyone to have all of Chan's skates memorized. Yet. <insert evil laughter>

His Nationals SP was clean and his score was high (100+), so you might be thinking that.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It's too hard for a skater to keep perfect performances back to back. It's almost impossible for Patrick to skate Nationals, 4CC, and worlds all perfectly in a roll. So it's ok. I think it gave Patrick a better chance to peak at the worlds. Let's see if Takahashi could skate over 90.

jaylee

Medalist
87.95. About right as it's reported he did the rest of the program really well and best of all.

Actually, I thought he was pretty tight throughout his program, and he never soared through the footwork like I know he can. He himself seemed disappointed in his performance right after finishing.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry, but I just can't get into Ricky Dornbush, he reminds me too much of Timothy Goebel (without the quads) and hunch back. And I just noticed he fell on one of his jumps and maybe doubled another.

Still, I have no real complaint of him being sent here because imho the only real world class guy the USA has is Jeremy Abbott ~ huge chasm ~ then Adam Rippon, and to a lesser extent Ross Miner.

jettasian

Match Penalty
So someone's Chan bashing has already begun even before the event ends eh? How pathetic. Really.

Art&Sport

Medalist
It's too hard for a skater to keep perfect performances back to back. It's almost impossible for Patrick to skate Nationals, 4CC, and worlds all perfectly in a roll. So it's ok. I think it gave Patrick a better chance to peak at the worlds. Let's see if Takahashi could skate over 90.

:laugh:

jettasian

Match Penalty
So now that Dai has the advantage to know how Chan has skated. Will he go for the quad, or play it safe and do the triples...

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I'm hoping Evan Lysacek has been watching and comes back blazing next year! :cool: He's the only American man that we have that's consistent and is a pretty good all-around skater. Here's hoping Evan & the USFSA has worked out all the legal issues and allows him back with open arms next Fall. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The judges seem to like Richard somewhat. While he's way down there in TES (10th as of right now) he was 5th in PCS.