Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Short Program, Fri. 2/10 at 2:50 pm EST

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Some judges didn't get the memo. Caroline got from -2 to +2 on her flip.

The same thing happened to her 3flip at US nationals. I will have to watch more closely next time. Maybe 3flips require a steady edge going in, otherwise deductions!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
ditto.

The top three are in a class (63.45 - 64.25) and Caroline is in her own class right behind, at 58.74, before the group 54.07 and lower. They can all be very proud. Let's hope more ladies bring it tomorrow.

The Canadians are under extra pressure. I hope they calm down and meet the test in the FS.

I feel for Cynthia and Amelie for the situation they are in. Would not wish that on any skater.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I feel for Cynthia and Amelie for the situation they are in. Would not wish that on any skater.

So far they are not making the job easy for Skate Canada. Don't you hate to have to pick the less bad rather than the best, as in the case of Canadian Men?

feraina

Record Breaker
Once again, 3flips that look perfectly fine are getting deductions (Kanako's and Caroline's). What's going on? Is there some new memo out to judges on when to deduct on 3flips? I'm missing whatever flaw it is and I would like to know about it so I can understand the scores.

I think they're penalizing more seriously for lack of footwork before the solo triple in the SP this season. Caroline's 3F was really nice otherwise, I love how she held her landing. I think the +2 must be partly because of that. They need to give her harder transition into the 3F next season though, so that she can get higher GOE.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think they're penalizing more seriously for lack of footwork before the solo triple in the SP this season. Caroline's 3F was really nice otherwise, I love how she held her landing. I think the +2 must be partly because of that. They need to give her harder transition into the 3F next season though, so that she can get higher GOE.

That's what BofP said, too.
Prior to her flip, there was almost no linking footwork. Kinda harsh for a -2.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
How did ashley get +GOE on her visibly 2footed combo? Goodness. I thought it would be at least -1 or -2 across the board. Some gave her +2. What a joke!

Serious Business

Record Breaker

Ooh, OK, now it all makes sense. Why did I not think of the obvious? :biggrin:

jaylee

Medalist
I thought that Mao was a little lackluster this time. But yeah, her basic skating is SO much better than everyone else's it seems like she should get at least 8's.

I disagree--I think Kanako got lowballed on PCS. Her speed was the top of all the ladies skaters, just phenomenal and it should have been rewarded. I didn't think there was anything especially lacking in Mao's or Ashley's speed, but when Kanako came on, she just flew. Skating at that speed is VERY difficult.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ehh, they're the ones that skated poorly at Worlds in the first place to drop down to that one slot. I'm rooting for Amelie, but if it's a narrow victory and goes to Cynthia, I'd be royally pissed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, the Canadians are running a skateoff. Looks like if Phaneuf doesn't win Canadians, she gets a do-over at 4CC's. If she loses here, I'm not sure what they are going to do. Either find a Senior B for her to beat LaCoste at, or just accept that for this year LaCoste is skating better than Phaneuf?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I disagree--I think Kanako got lowballed on PCS. Her speed was the top of all the ladies skaters, just phenomenal and it should have been rewarded. I didn't think there was anything especially lacking in Mao's or Ashley's speed, but when Kanako came on, she just flew. Skating at that speed is VERY difficult.

Kanako always had the blazing speed, without seeming to get much of a boost in the PCS internationally. I think the judges may prefer the speed with a bit more refined stroking.

Last edited:

Scout

Final Flight
Yes - 4CC determines which lady goes to Worlds. Amelie won Canadians, but Cynthia won the LP. I guess SC is trying to give Cynthia a chance. I think if Cynthia had won Canadians, she would have been named to the World team. Amelie's been skating better than Cynthia this season, but Cynthia is better recognized internationally. And, I believe, that if they're both at their best, Cynthia is capable of a higher score.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kanako always had the blazing speed, without seeming to get much of a boost in the PCS internationally. I think the judges may prefer the speed with a bit more refined stroking.

Sorry, I was referring to the two Canadian ladies vying for World spots. The Murakami/PCS discussion happened in between.

Yes - 4CC determines which lady goes to Worlds. Amelie won Canadians, but Cynthia won the LP.

That's very interesting. Maybe Skate Canada is not all that committed to adding the points together for the SP and LP to determine the overall winner.

Bartek

On the Ice
Wow, Mao got level 4 for her step sequence. That's rare even for her. I'm glad she attempted 3 axel. That was a good opportunity for her to try it before Worlds. I wish she'd made a go of her triple-triple as well. What do you think, will she attempt 3 axel or the triple-triple in the FS?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This one spot may determine the number of Canadian entries for the Olympics and I think Skate Canada has more faith in Phaneuf at her best or close to it but she's had problems all this season, prompting her to leave her long time coach to move to Toronto to train with Orser 6 weeks before the Nationals. Then she lost to Amelie due mainly to messing up the first jump of the SP combo. Skate Canada is basically in a dilemma and hoping for a clearer winner, especially in an International situation.