Men's LP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

skatinginbc

Medalist
I cant believe the persons who write the articles dont know ab fs.
He didn't assume "Patrick Chan of Japan". My theory is that the writer made the assumption based on the last name: Chan is a common Chinese surname and therefore every Chan represents China. "Is Patrick Chan a Chinese?" asked the ghostwriter, probably a student hired at a cheap wage. "Yes, he is," answered the busy journalist. After the first draft was written, the journalist read it twice and didn't notice the error just like Seniorita, who did not detect it in her first two readings in spite of her skating knowledge (Post #395). So the journalist added a few technical explanations here and there and went ahead publishing it under his name.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes if my mum was writing the article she would assume he is from China. If the journalist is somehow 10% relevant to figure skating, he would know Chan is from Canada. I dont know how the article of 4cc is written by someone who needs to assume from where is the very top athlete.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon

Ross Miner's LP is supposed to be on the same site. Since it's geoblocked and the site keeps moving on to next blocked videos for me, I can't link it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^Dai-Chan and Taka-Chan, too?:laugh: Wow, China is rich! Yuzuru-Chan, Tat-Chan, Nobu-Chan ...

That's why I already declared a Chan Dynasty!

eta. Thanks for finding Dai's and Ross' LP on YT. I came across Dai's LP on another site but decided to look for it on YT. Too happy to find him on YT and decided to do the links here before settling in to enjoy them, especially the ceremony which I missed. Alas, it wasn't his LP. Sorry. But enjoy anyways. ;)

BTW, Bluebonnet, wasn't I right when I told you " Don't worry. Be happy." on the Practice thread? ;)

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
BTW, Bluebonnet, wasn't I right when I told you " Don't worry. Be happy." on the Practice thread? ;)

:biggrin::thumbsup: I love Patrick's that Ex. number! It made me calm.:)

I watched Takahashi's LP and Miner's LP again. Both gave me better impression without constant freeze on my computer during the live coverage last night. Even though he skated this LP better in the earlier this season, Takahashi generally kept his charm and nuance in the whole program. Probably only Takahashi could skate this music. Good for him! After the LP, he said to his coach, "Oh, my god, so...(then I couldn't hear)" I guess he was so tired. Miner kept his attack all the way. But his program is as unmemorable as his face. He got to do something about it! Happy for him to win bronze!

Last edited:
This Youtube video of Patrick Chan, representing Ireland and China, is still available.

Some comments.

1. All the Internet arguments about Patrick Chan this and Patrick Chan that -- a performance like this just washes all that off the beach.

2. I love Lori Nichol.

3. Quads? OK, whatever. But that 3Lz+3S sequence just blows my mind. (This wasn't the absolute most perfect execution, but still... :love: )

4. The red patches going down the legs of Patrick's pants are fine, but the ones at the waist in front, no. (Other than that, not a bad performance). :)

Bluebonnet said:
Dai-Chan and Taka-Chan, too? Wow, China is rich! Yuzuru-Chan, Tat-Chan, Nobu-Chan ...

Here is the Chan Clan band (a cartoon from the 1970s – I think that’s Xue Shen on the right). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1j56iLbkxI

emma

Record Breaker
Some comments.

1. All the Internet arguments about Patrick Chan this and Patrick Chan that -- a performance like this just washes all that off the beach.

2. I love Lori Nichol.

3. Quads? OK, whatever. But that 3Lz+3S sequence just blows my mind. (This wasn't the absolute most perfect execution, but still... :love: )

4. The red patches going down the legs of Patrick's pants are fine, but the ones at the waist in front, no. (Other than that, not a bad performance). :)

:thumbsup: I totally agree ... mostly :p #1, yes! #2 yes (and boy does she have a way with skaters who have a way with skating, I'm thinking Chan, Michelle, Shen/Zhao).... #3 YES, and boy, that lutz out of footwork and the hand clap thing is pretty darn good too (although it wasn't great here). 4. sorry, no no no. The only thing I dislike about Chan is the darn red swatches on his legs (ok, I don't like the waist front either, but those leg bandages just make me really, really crazy).

It's maybe not right to say this, but I feel sorry for the flower girls. They looked so lame and numb. It was like they were doing a chore.

I have been working with them on their presentation skills. I got Alissa Czisny to come in and teach them how to smile no matter what happens, and I got Oksana Bauil to lead a seminar in how to emote out to the the top rows of the balcony. ;)

But seriously, I think they are just trying to concentrate on doing their jobs, and maybe a little bit nervous to be out there in front of thousands of people and banks of TV cameras, not to mention their skating idols. :yes:

SGrand

Final Flight
I have been working with them on their presentation skills. I got Alissa Czisny to come in and teach them how to smile no matter what happens, and I got Oksana Bauil to lead a seminar in how to emote out to the the top rows of the balcony. ;)

But seriously, I think they are just trying to concentrate on doing their jobs, and maybe a little bit nervous to be out there in front of thousands of people and banks of TV cameras, not to mention their skating idols. :yes:

LOL :laugh:! You could also have Misha come in to show them how to use their arms faster when picking up stuffed animals and flowers! ETA: Duh! Sorry, you were talking about the 'flower girls' at the medal ceremony, not the others who pick everything up after a performance lol. Oops!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was SO EXCITED for Ross last night! Thought he skated better than Adam... Adam is just so... I dunno... but I like Ross... I remember watching Ross when he was just a little guy in Novice and Juniors, so maybe that's why. More of a connection that way!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If anyone finds Misha Ge's video, let me know!! I really like him but I fell asleep and missed his performance!!

sweetskates1

Medalist
Thank you for posting all of those links! I re-watched Daisuke, and Adam. Very proud of both. Miner was a joy to watch, and seeing him on the podium made me happy. He will strive to be on the podium even more now. Chan was very fast, athletic and fluid. Daisuke made me forget this was a figure skating competition. He is an artist.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Some of my thoughts on this performance from Patrick:

As for everybody, it's hard, probably impossible, to be your best at this altitude, so I think Patrick did incredibly well last night, as did some others. It showed who were the best trained.

He was under a lot of pressure to win convincingly here and was admittedly more nervous than at any recent competition. One mistake in his SP induced all the critical attention and focus excluding any excellence from him and major errors from his rivals. This LP sort of quieted the nitpiking, which to me is very interesting. His win and the performances is accepted because he didn't make glaring mistakes. But he didn't complete a combo, leaving out a 2T, BV 1.30, which is insignificant at his level of total scores but important in case of very close competition, or for breaking his own record which requires perfection, meaning his very best. Last night he stayed clean and pretty by omitting one jump, albeit and luckily the least valued one in the program. People liked it or didn't notice it. But he can't afford to miss the big jumps by omitting, popping, or under-rotating them, even if he falls. It's the risk he and other top Men have to take. It takes guts. The system awards this risk but so many fans don't. To them, omitting, popping, and under-rotating, as well as wrong edge take off, are all rather acceptable, ignorable, and certainly preferable, but not falls, even with heavy penalties. Yet every skater falls because they take risks in order to improve and to excel. I agree with winning by doing less but pretty with low risk elements, but there is no way around the falling risks of big jumps.

On Takahashi:

He did extremely well in a situation where most faltered badly. He is indeed very well trained and should shut up those are down on his, gosh, ripe old age of 25. Kudos. His major and most damaging mistake last night was popping the 3A, usually his money jump. On later thoughts it concerns me because it couldn't be attributed to the altitude since it was near the beginning of the program, and he was strong and able to perform his usual magic through the program. It indicated mental issue he has to address before Worlds. His season has been up and down but greatly improved from last, especially with more and more success with his quads. Legitimately the biggest challenger to the current world champion as the most recent former champion. :thumbsup:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
On later thoughts also, I'm feeling really bad for Jeremy Ten as I forgot last night that 4CC was his chance to earn GP eligibility for next season since he has had no international competitions these two seasons due to injuries. It hurt him doubly bad when he bombed last night.

{{{{{J10}}}}}

eta. Jackie Wong of Examiner has the 4CC videos nicely listed.

http://www.examiner.com/figure-skat...ort-program-men-s-short-program-an-free-skate

Adam asks for suggestions of ex numbers:

I have a question for you all... What program/song would you like me to skate at the #4cc exhibition gala?!
3 hours ago

Last edited:
Adam's going to improvise? OK then, Unchained Melody! Cool!

SF: Two little responses to your post on Dai and Patrick:

--no need to apologize (so to speak) for the omitted 2T! I hate those dopy and fussy little jumps tacked onto a powerful man's program just to add a point. They're bad enough in ladies'! Go right ahead and call Patrick's program perfect. :p

--and as to why Dai missed the 3A - it's puzzling. I assumed it was related to the 4T as so often happens (though not generally with Dai) together with the altitude issues. I don't see what the location of the jump in the program has to do with the altitude effect. If there is less oxygen, there is less oxygen. That seemed to affect the athletes in various ways. JMO.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Spun Silver, it was neither an apology nor a criticism. I do mostly observations but others often put in their own interpretations and judgements on my observations. Patrick's program wasn't perfect or as near perfect as it seemed, again perfect meaning his very best, but I never expected that of him here or of anyone else. I am tremendously impressed by what he was able to put out last night.

As for Takahashi, from the little info into his very complex mind I've been lucky to come across, he seems to still have some limiting ideas about his quads. He explained his Nationals LP with a joke that he probably used up his luck with the successful 4T/3T in the SP. And the lack of luck actually continued into his next competition. He needs to be able to do his quads successfully in both programs and not have negative after effects. He is totally able to do that. I think it's some self doubt he has after a couple of years of injury reduced quad success that he will overcome soon. As for altitude, it actually helps with some skaters' jumps as reported. The adverse effect is on stamina, thus the longer a skater performs into his/her program, the worse the exhaustion and the need to suck air. I could almost smell the lactic acid from the computer stream last night!

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
SF....I agree with you, too, that Chan's LP wasn't perfect - the double jump could have been there, and his lutz out of footwork was very tight and the clap he does didn't have the impact it could. But, I too can not get over what this guy can do and does do. wow.

I am also really impressed with Taka...he fights and performs no matter what. That popped axel was weird, maybe the timing was off for him. But, he does need that quad and he needs confidence in it as you say, and I do worry that it is that lack of confidence that is his worst enemy right now (of course, it could also just be the way he talks, as in other ways, he exudes confidence and is a fierce competitor); I hope he finds whatever it is that can help him land all the planned jumps well. It is incredible how close the BV's for Taka and Chan would be if the former had those jumps (and we could add Abbot and perhaps a few others here).

ETA I meant to also say that Dai's stamina really impressed me, given the altitude...suggests that guy is in great shape! And a question: did Patrick say his a$$ was burning while in the KnC? sounded like it :biggrin:

Last edited: