Men's LP | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I forgot I had read earlier that Nan sent a message of thanks for the concerns and that he was alright, on Weibo (Chinese Twitter) around 3 - 4 AM yesterday Colorado time.

Here's a video of him being helped off the arena:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/lGsm788O6E4/?resourceId=0_06_02_99?fr=1

It was also said that those with more severe altitude reactions, Kanako and Qiuying Zhu, also had some recent health issues like Nan Song.

I forgot I had read earlier that Nan sent a message of thanks for the concerns and that he was alright, on Weibo (Chinese Twitter) around 3 - 4 AM yesterday Colorado time.

Here's a video of him being helped off the arena:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/lGsm788O6E4/?resourceId=0_06_02_99?fr=1

It was also said that those with more severe altitude reactions, Kanako and Qiuying Zhu, also had some recent health issues like Nan Song.

Thanks so much for the update, SF. How sweet of him to thank his fans. I'm sure he'll have many more of them in the future, if what I hear about his skating is anything to go by.

I wonder whether if someone had had a recent cold or similar ailment, the extra fluid, congestion, or residual inflammation in the inner ear could affect his/her equilibrium just enough to be intensified by the effects of the altitude. This is just a speculation on my part. But what a scary moment for Nan Song and the others who suffered altitude problems.

Maybe in the future all skating competitions held in the U.S. should be held in Kansas....or at least somewhere lower than the altitude of Pike's Peak.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Maybe in the future all skating competitions held in the U.S. should be held in Kansas....or at least somewhere lower than the altitude of Pike's Peak.

I dunno, the number of skaters having to have major medical attention is pretty small... even at a small event... and they've been dealing with this sort of thing for decades. They don't do it all that often anyway, so I think once in a while won't kill (litterally or figuratively) anyone.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
People are discussing in the Chinese forum about the effects of high altitude on individuals. It varies greatly and unpredictably, having no clear relations to age,size or usual health and fitness, with stories of the weak and aged encountering no problems and the young strong ones being carried down on stretchers. I do know great muscle mass requires more oxygen and physical exertion taxes heavily.

Someone joked about moving the Chinese training centre to Qinghai (over 3000m above sea level) and hold the 4CC and Worlds there in 10 years.

eta. Zhu said she had problems 10 minutes into her practice and almost couldn't finish her LP and almost needed hospitalization after.

Last edited:

periperi

On the Ice
Nadine saw on the screen that Nan was carried away. I was just responding to her comment. I wish I knew more about it. Song's expression right after his LP was scary. His face and lips were white. I thought he might faint on the ice but he didn't. Hope he's feeling better by now and is recovering!

Ah I confused you with Nadine. Nan's lips did turn an alrming shade of blue... Well I'm glad to hear that he is feeling better. Thanks for the update, SF. Hope the rest of the skaters who were affected are fine now as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that was beautiful. I have not always been Mr. Chan's biggest supporter, but its hard to argue with that. Rivaling YAgudin and the greats. maybe beating Yagudin and the greats with performances like that.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree you couldn't really argue with Chan's skate the other night.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I found this half hour film featuring Misha Ge's grandfather, an artist born in N E China of Russian mother. Watch Little Misha from 4:30 to 6:30! :) and at 27:41 till the end. Unlike his Grand Dad, Misha has great family support for his interests and talents. At 17, Grandfather literally ran away from home in the snow trying to get to Beijing to study arts. He made it there on foot. Misha's father appeared at 12:12 talking about being sent to study Arts in Russia, also at 17, by train, where he fell in love with Misha's Mom. He got his mother's blessing but without telling his father, married his Russian girlfriend at the Embassy. Misha's grandfather fell in love with the Gobi Desert and changed his ordinary Chinese name to Ge (Gobi) Sha (sand, shamo=desert). That's why Misha's family name is rather unusual, different from my guess. Quite an interesting life. Very touching about his reunion with his sister and mother after 33 years. At the end of the film, his biggest wish was to cheer on his grandson at 2008 Olympics when he would be 77 years old. (This film must have been made before the change of Winter Olympic years. Misha looked about 10.)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTA1Mzc0MjA=.html

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
I just watched Patrick's LP from Universal Sport and figured out what caused his one blemished jump. He was jinxed by the American commentator! They were marveling at his jumps after he did them one by one, and then the man said "now watch this" before his 3Lz so Patrick had to put his free foot down on landing it. Geez. Don't ever do that to a Canadian again please.
:thumbsup::laugh:

emma

Record Breaker
Paatrick's 4CC FS CBC version with Kurt and Tracy

I like how the Canadian commentators point out what make for great skating. But as with most commentators, the highest respect is paid with silence. Waiting for longer version including replays and comments, as well as Takahashi's and others' with insights from Kurt and Tracy. :thumbsup:

Amazing, glorious, mind-boggling...truly exceptional. Thanks for the link!

spikydurian

Medalist
I found this half hour film featuring Misha Ge's grandfather, an artist born in N E China of Russian mother. Watch Little Misha from 4:30 to 6:30! :) and at 27:41 till the end. Unlike his Grand Dad, Misha has great family support for his interests and talents. At 17, Grandfather literally ran away from home in the snow trying to get to Beijing to study arts. He made it there on foot. Misha's father appeared at 12:12 talking about being sent to study Arts in Russia, also at 17, by train, where he fell in love with Misha's Mom. He got his mother's blessing but without telling his father, married his Russian girlfriend at the Embassy. Misha's grandfather fell in love with the Gobi Desert and changed his ordinary Chinese name to Ge (Gobi) Sha (sand, shamo=desert). That's why Misha's family name is rather unusual, different from my guess. Quite an interesting life. Very touching about his reunion with his sister and mother after 33 years. At the end of the film, his biggest wish was to cheer on his grandson at 2008 Olympics when he would be 77 years old. (This film must have been made before the change of Winter Olympic years. Misha looked about 10.)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTA1Mzc0MjA=.html
Thanks SF. Just watched it. And thanks for the translation as I don't understand Mandarin :) Is Misha's grandad half Russian and half Chinese? He looks very Caucasoid though but his son (ie. Misha's dad) looks Eurasian. Misha probably looks very much like his mother not an inch of Mongoloid look in him. So where is his grandad and parents living now? Interestingly that Grandad Ge is featured on China's t.v.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Durian, that video is titled Faces OF The Time, probably a series featuring persons of interests and character. Grandpa Ge Sha is an accomplished artist arising from poverty, running from home while being chased in the snow to pursue his real interest and passion in life, ending up a successful artist but not seeing his family for 33 years. His mother was Russian, doing laundry to support the family and his father wanted him to learn a practical trade. I assumed his wife is Chinese as his son and grandson are both raised Chinese though his son married a Russian like his gradpa. Thus Ge Misha's mother and great grandmother are both Russian. I was puzzled though when watching a video about him as, when asked how to pronounce his family name, he said "gee" instead of "ke".

2012 4CC Men's post small medal audience Q&A

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks again SF. :) Interesting family history of Misha's grandad.
I like Kurt as a commentator. Reason being, as a non-skater myself, I find that I learn so much from bi-partisan and experienced sports commentators. They are able to point out what went wrong and what is good, and this is applicable to all sports. Thanks for the video link.