Short Dance 5:30 PM EST | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Short Dance 5:30 PM EST

Macassar88

Medalist
I noticed during the slow-mo replays that Tessa missed her blade on the first twizzle rotation of the first set, so that's probably where the level was lost. Had she reached her blade a fraction of a second earlier, they'd have likely gotten the level and, with that extra point, the lead. The teams are *that* close!

Yeah I noticed that too, but Charlie also had some trouble catching his blade on the twizzles.

KKonas

Medalist
At the Dance meeting when the coaches/skaters were discussing what changes might come after this Olympics, ISU Tech Comm. Chair Halina Gordon Poltorak said they may not have a Pattern Dance in the SD but rather certain step sequences when Moir complained he didn't like Yankee Polka or Finnstep. He commented that any changes made to the SD after 2014 would be too late for him.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yeah I noticed that too, but Charlie also had some trouble catching his blade on the twizzles.

Charlie made enough rotations after he caught his blade to get the level. However, they lost some GOE there-but it's less than what you'd lose losing the level & the GOE as well.

KKonas, not that everyone didn't suspect V&M were retiring after 2014 Olympics, but isn't this the first time either Virture or Moir have absolutely said so?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I for one expect to see Virtue and Moir retire after the 2014 Olympics, even if they don't get the gold again. Rarely does an ice dance team stick around THAT long AFTER winning an OGM (except Grishuk and Platov too), and she's been injured.

As for Davis and White, I could see them staying in even if they DO get the gold, since as far as I know, they're both healthy.

KKonas

Medalist
Charlie made enough rotations after he caught his blade to get the level. However, they lost some GOE there-but it's less than what you'd lose losing the level & the GOE as well.

KKonas, not that everyone didn't suspect V&M were retiring after 2014 Olympics, but isn't this the first time either Virture or Moir have absolutely said so?

Well, he didn't say, "Tessa & I are going to retire after Sochi" but his comment was pretty much exactly as I typed it, indicating that that is the plan.
As far as I know that's the first time they even hinted at making a decision about the future.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Am I the only one who feels like Virtue/Moir have fiddled too much with their short dance? I really loved it at the beginning of the season, but not so much now. That raw, exciting, hot quality it had last fall is gone. I just wonder if they've reworked it so many times they've lost some of the original spirit.

Meanwhile, Davis/White's short dance just continues to get stronger, in my opinion, anyway. I was struck by how much energy and ease they performed it with. They make this program fun. It may not be the most sensual Latin, and I agree V/M have better hip action. But it's just a great dance--I always enjoy watching it. And Meryl does such a great job selling it. (As usual, I can't understand the criticism of her in this thread--someone called her prim?? C'mon.)

No real opinion about the Shibs vs. W/P. To me, the Shibs' performance level seemed much higher. W/P felt a little flat. But, both teams were good, and they're certainly close.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who feels like Virtue/Moir have fiddled too much with their short dance? I really loved it at the beginning of the season, but not so much now. That raw, exciting, hot quality it had last fall is gone. I just wonder if they've reworked it so many times they've lost some of the original spirit.

No, you're not the only one. I think what happened at the GPF spooked V/M a little too much.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It was never a good Short Dance to begin with. They needed to keep the BRILLIANT opening from their Free Dance last season and they should have cut out the "Temptation" portion instead of trying to turn all 3 pieces of music from their Free Dance last season into a Short Dance.

katia

On the Ice
D/W are the USA's best chance for gold in Sochi. That's not the case of V/M, and some of speculated that Skate Canada spend their political capital elsewhere
Imaginary Pogue
I can understand your two other points but I can not figure this one. Do you mean there is other Canadian pair with better chance for gold? Or there is another Canadian pair equal to V/M?
Or there are other young Canadian pairs which are as good as American Shibutanis?
If neither of the above is true than what exactly do you mean?
I understand that Tessa had surgeries, but I thought she is OK now.

claphappy

On the Ice
Imaginary Pogue
I can understand your two other points but I can not figure this one. Do you mean there is other Canadian pair with better chance for gold? Or there is another Canadian pair equal to V/M?
Or there are other young Canadian pairs which are as good as American Shibutanis?

I think that it was implied that Chan is Canada's best chance for a gold medal in Sochi.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's what I thought he meant...and it's true.
If there is any politicking being done, it will be most for Chan, especially since I'm sure Canadian wants their first men's gold more fervently than it wants its second dance gold.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It was never a good Short Dance to begin with. They needed to keep the BRILLIANT opening from their Free Dance last season and they should have cut out the "Temptation" portion instead of trying to turn all 3 pieces of music from their Free Dance last season into a Short Dance.

This x 100.

And Scott has hip action? I've yet to see it. Look, no one in the world right now can portray "romance on ice" better than him, but sexy ain't in his wheelhouse.

I'll stand by something I said earlier in the season: Charlie is learning to dance. Whereas Scott can do romance like nobody's business, no one can touch Charlie for passionate exuberance. But I think this is the season he's finally (finally!) learning to temper it. Sometimes less is more, a lot more. For one thing, it's giving Meryl far more chance to shine (and that's a good thing--she's turning out to be quite the little saucy performer).

Should be a very interesting LP.

glam

On the Ice
If there is any politicking being done, it will be most for Chan, especially since I'm sure Canadian wants their first men's gold more fervently than it wants its second dance gold.

It also seems to me that Chan will be Canada's gold medal "lock" and D/W will be America's. The pairs and ladies gold medals are reserved for Russians in Sochi.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

While I agree it wasn't the greatest short dance, I think keeping "Temptation" was the correct move - it sets the scene for the Rhumba beautifully, in a way that Hip Hip or Mujeur Latina wouldn't. I'd actually argue that the section from the twizzles to the and of the Rhumba is the best section of this SD as currently structured. But the tinkering made it worse. It seems like with the slowing down and speeding up, there are five pieces of music and the ending is just bad. I think they were hamstrung by their decision to keep the music but make it as different from their FD as possible. I wish they did keep the old way: twizzles + lift in Hip Hip, rhumbas in Temptation, circ steps in Mujeur.

Sexy ain't Scott's wheelhouse? Really? I thought he's done wonders there - check out his gala performances of this dance (the way he imbibes Tessa) or the simple moment in the FD at Worlds where he strokes himself during the straight line lift. Very hot.

Imaginary Pogue

No, I think Chan is Canada's best chance for gold. The ISU is in a spread the wealth mood. See how unhappy they were in Turin when it looked like it was gonna be a Russian sweep (Arakawa stopped that).

We know that Tessa tells us she's okay. Which she said in the 09/10 season. I don't think we'll ever know for sure and that means we'll always speculate.

3. D/W are the USA's best chance for gold in Sochi. That's not the case of V/M, and some of speculated that Skate Canada spend their political capital elsewhere.

This year, having sent their ladies' champion off to Worlds with a ringing vote of confidence, they could offer to swap Weaver and Poje's shot at bronze for a top ten placement for Lacoste. :yes:

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wouldn't surprise me if they did try that.

ETA: There's an article at icenetwork that has all the top four doing a little grumbling about the levels on the Rhumba.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
QUOTE]

I agree that too much tinkering has taken place. It does not communicate confidence to the judges if you keep making tweaks virtually every month of thse season. Som changes are fine, but they really should either go back to a version they like better or refine what they have, but don't create any more new changes.

And Scott has hip action? I've yet to see it. Look, no one in the world right now can portray "romance on ice" better than him, but sexy ain't in his wheelhouse.

Tessa has fantastic hip action and she really makes the opening section of both the SD and FD programs they've put out. Scott plays off her morevent nicely, but his range of movement in his own hip action is faily limited.

It's certainly not this, or this.

Actually, of the three Canton guys, I'd say that Alex has the best hip action.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I thought that, too, but just imagine a Canadian Ice Dance team that wins two Olympic titles BACK TO BACK... that'd be pretty epic, too.