Short Dance 5:30 PM EST | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Short Dance 5:30 PM EST

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm hoping now that the Shibs have done this improved dance once internationally, they will fare better with it at Worlds.

callalily

On the Ice
Keep in mind though Tessa's surgery and time off the ice. The loss of training still shows in their competition readiness. D&W had 2011 all to themselves.

Yes, and V/M have had to tinker with choreo mid-season. It puts them behind in building the "muscle memory" of the programs.

I hope they can skate their programs flat out at Worlds. I always like to see teams (all teams) at their best, with full training/preparation.

tralfamadorian

Rinkside
I just adore the print dress, and I thought V/M were way more "on" than D/W and totally should have won this segment... goes to show that ice dance is subjective, LOL.
V/M really need to put the lift back to the slow part though or just do something, anything with the music at the end because the cuts at the very end were even more horrendous than at Canadians....

auser

Record Breaker
That dress should be burned. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, should wear animal print. Ever.
Unless, maybe its Philippe Candeloro doing a "George of the Jungle" program. But then he would probably strip off the animal print covering anyway.:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals are out:

Only one couple got a level 4 on the rhumba sequences, unlike GPF when they were giving them out like candy. It was the Chinese pair of Yu and Wang. RANDOM.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
PROTOCOLS

As expected, no level fours for steps for the top four.

D/W: Level threes for steps, level fours for lift/twizzles
V/M: Level threes for steps and twizzles (!), level four for lift

ACTUALLY, the only difference in scoring between the top two teams are the twizzles - other four elements had the exact same GOE. Whoa. V/M got 1.21 for level three twizzles, D/W got 1.00 for level four.

W/P: Level two for BOTH rhumbas, level three for steps, level four for lift/twizzles
Shibs: Level two for one Rhumba, level three for other and Circ steps, level four for lift/twizzles

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Other protocal notes:
Beyond the tough compulsory scoring, V/M also had level 3 on twizzles and circular step squence. D/W got a level three on their circular step sequence, four on the other two elements.
W/P and Shibs about even on their non-compulsory elements with level 4 on lift and twizzles at level 4 and circular step sequence at level 3.

Kypma

Final Flight
PROTOCOLS
D/W: Level threes for steps, level fours for lift/twizzles
V/M: Level threes for steps and twizzles (!), level four for lift

ACTUALLY, the only difference in scoring between the top two teams are the twizzles - other four elements had the exact same GOE. Whoa. V/M got 1.21 for level three twizzles, D/W got 1.00 for level four.

I noticed during the slow-mo replays that Tessa missed her blade on the first twizzle rotation of the first set, so that's probably where the level was lost. Had she reached her blade a fraction of a second earlier, they'd have likely gotten the level and, with that extra point, the lead. The teams are *that* close!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
S&Z move when the crowd boos the scores-ssssh them. You look classy as a result (worked for M&C in 2009 Worlds).

Bet a cookie there were very few "Y" s given for the 2nd rhumba key point. (Judy Blumberg on tech panel)

Those kids all skated all out, but they were all out of gas at the end. Latin is too high energy for altitude. None of them were as squeaky clean tech wise as at GPF.

OTOH, Meryl & Charlie were not doing the laser eyed competitors thing either. That's the best Latin I've seen them do.

What kind of cookie would you like us to send you? Any allergies?

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Not a bad night, all in all, though it looked to me like the altitude hurt everyone tonight. I love how 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 are so close together.

The difference between V/M and D/W in chemistry and Latin dance ability was really noticable for me tonight. D/W looked off to me, and V/M, even though it wasn't their best, way outclassed them in the Latin style department. I come from a dance background, and I've always thought that V/M's actual dance ability doesn't get the credit that it should. But, since they both made some small technical errors, and VM did win the PCS, I can live with the results. Had V/M gotten a level 4 on that twizzle sequence, they would have been first.

Glad to see W/P in 3rd, even though they didn't skate their best tonight. Closer between them and the Shibs than it was at the GP final, but the Shibs were stronger here and W/P were weaker than they were at that competition, so I guess it makes sense.

Now, here's where I get a little ticked off. I know P/I got killed on the levels, but H/D screwed up. A lot. You'd think that a fall would have lost them more points than a couple of differences in levels. Then again, P/I seem to be paying for their music choice over and over again. They're the one team that tried to do an actual traditional style rumba (sultry as opposed to sassy) and it seems to be hurting them. That being said, I was happy to see them looking more confident and getting more into the character than they have in the past. And ut's nice just to see Alexandra looking healthy after the nightmare year they have had.

Serious Business

Record Breaker

As dorispulaski predicted, there were tons of Ns for the rumba sequences. Only two teams manage to get YYY and thus level 4 on ONE of their rumba sequences: Hubbell/Donohue and Yu/Wang. No, not who I expected, either.

The Shibs got a higher TES than W/P because one of their rumba sequences got a level 3 to W/P's 2, otherwise everything else had an identical base value. The judges, however, gave W/P slightly more GOE, and a lot more PCS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Protocols up

http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2012/fc2012_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

No surprise:

Meryl & Charlie get level 3 for both rhumbas (no credit for you for second key point Meryl), and level 3 on the circular step.

Tessa & Scott likewise, but level 3 on the twizzles- not surprised; something looked odd there, careful for one thing.

Ouch
Kaitlyn & Andrew got level 2 on the rhumbas and 3 on the step. Neither Kaitlyn nor Andrew hit the wide step/chocktaws to the tech panel's satsifaction

Maia & Alex got a 2 and a 3 on the rhumbas, 3 on the step. Dinged on PCS, and I would have had them higher unless they were significantly slower at the end of the dance, something all these couples suffered from a bit (altitude).

Hubbells got level 4 on one of the rhumbas. Level 2 on the others. 4 on the twizzles & lift, 2 on the step where Zach fell.

Paul & Islam got level 1 and Level 2 on the rhumbas. Two on the step, 3 on the twizzles. Thus hangs the tale of their scores. (I'm good with the rhumbas. They didn't look right to me either.)

I need to watch these over when I can breath myself ;) to understand them better, but my take is that everyone was a bit ragged due to breathing difficulties (and last week at Nationals, neither the Shibs nor Meryl & Charlie were a bit out of breath.)

Dots

Final Flight
Why was Ricky Dornbush patching the ice at the end?

Is the USFSA trying to make an example out of him? :laugh:

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for explaining scores! Gosh, I'm out of breath - what a final flight! Clearly, the altitude is cruel, and maybe the callers are tough too, but that was a heck of a lot of fun to watch. It is just so amazing to me how talented these dancers are - and V/M and D/W (Not suggesting anything with that order, btw) are just remarkable athletes and performers. Wow. I really can't wait for sea level (I'm assuming Nice is sea level) at worlds. This is like a great teaser/pre-view.

CassAgain

On the Ice
USFSA just tweeted that the Shibs, V-M and D-W will be the last three teams in the FD in that order.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Waited until the end and then thought for a bit. For me, Charlie White didn't make any attempt to put a "Latin" spin on the dance; it was exuberant, fastpaced, but, it didn't come across as Latin - blonde curls flying about and big grins spoil the impression of a Latin dance, and, overall, I am not a favor of energizer-Bunny choreography in a Rhumba number. I'm also less than fond of Meryl's dress - too orange, and too bare. Plus, she doesn't look Latin-ish either ... she always looks too prim and proper and although she tries to pull off sexy and sultry, it doesn't go over well. This is the first time I've watched them do the Rhumba, and I can see where the excitement is coming from ... but, I really would be happier if it was more "edges and edgy" than fast and furious. However, that's simply my personal preference, and I can absolutely understand where others prefer this to V/M or the others.

Virtue and Moir - dislike her dress, and I disliked the one from Canadians as well - I wish she would go back to the one from earlier in the year. This is too floofy and flouncy, and it doesn't do her any justice, plus, it's simply not the classy and stylish look that works well on Tessa. She's also trying a bit too hard to sell "sex", but, her hip movements give it a bit more of a Latin flavour. Scott ... thank goodness, back to black, and he does try to do Latin with the gelled hair, etc. Wish he would lose the snarly face stuff ... Yes, these are superficial points, but, I like to see a team - try - to make their physical appearance adapt to the style of the dance.

In terms of V/M's short program, yes, the reworking of the ending lift is not a good idea, however, it may work better when it is not being done in hi-altitude. If they were short of breath, having to do that physical effort at the end would be quite challenging. However, I was totally mesmerized by the flow in the Rhumba ... they looked like they were floating across the ice and everything was in control, and those edges - !

W/P - ick to the animal print, and ick to the cut on the dress, but, they do sell the idea very well. The Shibs - beautiful, and far more impressed than I've ever been by them. I agree that they will have to be careful with choreo, however, other brother and sister teams have done very well and these two are extremely talented and simply very effective in terms of connecting with the audience. V/M, D/W, W/P - all look very mature and polished, and it will be interesting to see how the Shibs score when they have a patina of maturity laid overtop of their skill and talent ...