LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 30 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

jaylee

Medalist
Ashley seems to have considerably improved her speed from nationals onward. And it is absolutely not true she only does crossovers and arm movement, she actually has a lot of moves in the field transitions.

I agree. She's actually always had a good number of transitions, and I'm happy to see that in her commitment to upping her game, she not only nailed more of her jumps, but she added tougher combos (3/3, 2A/3T, though she didn't attempt it here), and KEPT her transitions. Many another skater would've watered down the program in order to get the jumps consistent. She didn't, and she's really earned my respect. I was thrilled to see her rewarded for her TR here--long overdue.

camion

On the Ice
Congrats to Ashley! Her and John Nicks are a great match. I laughed when I heard John Nicks emphatically say, "strong edges, strong edges" at the end. I still would have given Mao the edge on PCS, but Ashley deserved the win. I am extremely proud of Mao and Caroline. Mao, for even having the strength to skate after losing her mom only 2 months before. Caroline, for enduring many hard seasons and reworking her technique when a lot of people wrote her off :)

amc987

On the Ice
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am surprised that Wagner managed to beat Asada. She got all positive GOEs, level 4s for her spins, and no edge calls? I guess I'll have to see the video when it goes up on Universal Sports but I can hardly believe it. 128+ w/o a 3-3 or a 2A-3T seems excessively high...

I can't wait for Worlds, though. I guess with this performance Ashley is officially a podium contender. Who would've thought that going into the season? Congrats to her!

I will say this as a devoted Czisny fan-- I bet that if Alissa skates a clean 6 triple program and Ashley does was she did tonight at Worlds, Alissa will place higher. I can't imagine Ashley getting higher PCS than Alissa under a fair judging system. Speed isn't a strong suit of either lady, but Alissa's spins, spirals, and basic skating skills trump Ashley's by a long way. Here's hoping she's able to bring the jumps in Nice!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Looks like only Kexin and Haruka managed to pull off triple-triples (toe loops). Hope Ashley can get something solid and clean in her repertoire SP and FP before Worlds. Didn't think Mao ever had anything in the works and Kanako....doesn't Kanako have a 3-3?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
well on the bright side Mao's 3LZ didn't get the wrong edge deduction, and her 2A3T was is not under rotated, shame on the salchow I think she needs to replace it with 3T.

She needs to replace the Salchow with a 3Loop-2Loop (taking the first 2Loop in her program out; it's completely unnecessary on that 3Flip).

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Welcome amc987! Glad you decided to join the conversation! :rock:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Looks like only Kexin and Haruka managed to pull off triple-triples (toe loops). Hope Ashley can get something solid and clean in her repertoire SP and FP before Worlds. Didn't think Mao ever had anything in the works and Kanako....doesn't Kanako have a 3-3?

Kanako's 3T/3T is her money combo normally. The 3/3 is a LOT more important to do in the SP to squeeze in that extra triple than in the long, where a 2a/3T would suffice for a 7 triple program. Ashley's plan, where she puts the 3F/3T in her SP and the 2a/3T in the long makes sense.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Kanako's 3T/3T is her money combo normally. The 3/3 is a LOT more important to do in the SP to squeeze in that extra triple than in the long, where a 2a/3T would suffice for a 7 triple program. Ashley's plan, where she puts the 3F/3T in her SP and the 2a/3T in the long makes sense.

OK Makes Sense. Got it.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Really thrilled for Ashley. Given what John Nicks has done to her skating, its like having a new Sasha Cohen, but with the ability to put two solid programs together back to back. I really do think she is a genuine contender for Worlds, and longer term the Olympics.

I think it will be another year before we see Mao back to her best. She has managed to put the disaster that was last season behind her and this year is a season of some solid performances and results. However, if she is going to get back to where she was a few seasons ago, then I think she really does need to put on some weight, drop the 3A once and for all, regain a 3x3 combination, and sort out her 3Z. That's what she needs to work on if she is going to achieve her goal of Gold at Sochi 2014. However, its a considerable improvement over last season. She has basically gone from skater who's jumping technique was all over the place last season to one which can best be described as fragile. However, the momentum is in the right direction

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P protocol breakdown. (top 10)

Jumps:
Ashley: 47.40 (six triples)
Caroline: 44.54 (five triples)
Mao: 44.21 (five triples; one UR triple)
Kexin: 40.06 (six triples; one UR triple)
Kanako: 35.34 (five triples; one "e" triple)
Haruka: 33.62 (four triples - one fall (3Z; 3S)
Agnes: 31.82 (three triples)
Amelie: 26.96 (four triples)
Cynthia: 25.97 (four triples - one fall (2A))
Min-Jeong: 24.79 (two triples; 1 fall (3S)

Non-jump elements

Ashley: 19.21 (Ashley got +2 for her spiral WOW!)
Cynthia: 18.86
Mao: 18.74
Caroline: 18.71
Kexin: 18.26
Agnes: 17.46
Amelie: 16.88
Kanako: 16.24
Min-Jeong: 15.61
Haruka: 15.43

So Caroline and Ashley had the best scoring jumps tonight. Who would have ever guessed this would have happened a few years ago...
And Cynthia's non-jump elements help keep the score close.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Hi all,

I will say this as a devoted Czisny fan-- I bet that if Alissa skates a clean 6 triple program and Ashley does was she did tonight at Worlds, Alissa will place higher. I can't imagine Ashley getting higher PCS than Alissa under a fair judging system. Speed isn't a strong suit of either lady, but Alissa's spins, spirals, and basic skating skills trump Ashley's by a long way. Here's hoping she's able to bring the jumps in Nice!

Not necessarily. IMO, Ashley's TR, CH and IN should beat out Alissa's if they both skate their current programs cleanly. Alissa's LP this season is a dud, whereas Black Swan is actually quite decent.

YMMV for PE.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FYI: PCS between Ashley and Mao:

The judges did not give all the categories to Ashley. Mao won in skating skills and choreography, while Ashley won in everything else.

Mao's skating skills are great, so obviously makes sense as her winning choreography.

Ashley performed the heck out of that program so her winning PE (performance) and IN (interpretation) is about right. I could go either or in transitions, I'll have to watch again, but Ashley's program definitely has some solid transitions.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Ashley, Mao and Caroline! I am so pleased with the outcome of this competion that I am doing my happy dance!

Nadine

Record Breaker
I think you mean, Phaneuf had her chance here a 4CC to show SC that she was definitely the one that they should send.

Phaneuf failed. Lacoste won.

Nadine said:
Completely blew it.[/]

Phaneuf completely blew it.

This was Phaneuf's test to see whether she should be sent to worlds despite losing Canadian Nationals. The answer is pretty clear.

Contraire, Mr. Mathman, contraire.

As the 1-time Canadian National Champion & Challenger, it was up to Amelie Lacoste to show not just the doubters, but more importantly SC that they were *not* wrong in placing her over 7-time Canadian National Medalist (two of those gold), Cynthia Phaneuf. And she failed. Once again, her win (if one can call it that) was not convincing. She still left doubt on the table, and that's where she went wrong, doubt.

It will be interesting to see what Skate Canada does...

That said, yes, I prefer Cynthia, but Amelie is no slouch either, and I'll go with whatever the bigwigs decide. Just airing my opinion only. :cool:

WHAT A GREAT COMPETITION THOUGH, ONE FOR THE AGES, A "KEEPER" FOR ME!!!! WOW, JUST WOW!!!!!!! :love:

Edited to Add: just saw your post, ImaginaryPogue, I accept it. Cynthia needs to go back to the starting block with Brian Orser and regroup for next year. Here's hoping Amelie Lacoste gets two spots back for Canada, so Cynthia can go with her next year. :)^)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think it will be another year before we see Mao back to her best. She has managed to put the disaster that was last season behind her and this year is a season of some solid performances and results. However, if she is going to get back to where she was a few seasons ago, then I think she really does need to put on some weight, drop the 3A once and for all, regain a 3x3 combination, and sort out her 3Z. That's what she needs to work on if she is going to achieve her goal of Gold at Sochi 2014. However, its a considerable improvement over last season.

Uh, Mao skated much better at Nationals and 4CC last season than she did this season.

She absolutely should not drop the 3Axel either. Especially since it is now allowed for women as the solo axel jump in the SP. That jump sets her apart and she has far more mileage on it than any other woman in the World. She should definitely keep working on it, as it is a huge benefit if she gets the rotation.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Not necessarily. IMO, Ashley's TR, CH and IN should beat out Alissa's if they both skate their current programs cleanly. Alissa's LP this season is a dud, whereas Black Swan is actually quite decent.

YMMV for PE.

Agree with this. In fact, if I was taking odds right now, I'd say chances are not bad that at Worlds, it's more likely that Ashley will end up in a #1-5 result and Alissa in a #6-10, rather than vice-versa. The intl judges love Alissa, but she's got to meet them half-way with a well-thought out program (doesn't have) and cleanly skated (iffy).