Whitney Houston is dead?! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Whitney Houston is dead?!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni, chronilogically, she is a young adult, but that's it. Bobbi is very much a spoiled child who has been exposed to 5 star hotels and a lot of partying. She is more like a 14 year old, really.

don't buy it.

heyang

Record Breaker
Toni, chronilogically, she is a young adult, but that's it. Bobbi is very much a spoiled child who has been exposed to 5 star hotels and a lot of partying. She is more like a 14 year old, really.

I never watched Being Bobby Brown, but by all reports, she had to look out for her parents as a child. Role reversal.

THere's a lot of speculation, but nothing's really confirmed except that she lost a beloved parent and has inherited a trust fund that she won't control until she's 30. Her family has a history of drug dependency, but there's not actual confirmation that she has a problem. WIthout doubt, she's been exposed.... only time will tell if she's learned from her parents' mistakes.

True, but again - she's an adult, and I believe at somepoint one needs to grow up and stop using their parents as an excuse (I have an uncle who's nearly 60 who is still blaming the fact that his parents did not give him his own room - he had to share a room with my dad, he thinks they should've built a room just for him - on why he's a loser who still lives at home and has a crap job... um... yeah...)

Keeping in mind that I can't know the full story, one of the celebrities I most respect is Drew Barrymore. She was some kind of addict by the age of fourteen or so, yet she seems to have permanently cleaned herself up in her mid-teens. She had next to no parenting: that largely absent father and a feckless young mother. Yet she has lived with character by all evidence, and I once read that when her father (John Barrymore's son John Drew Barrymore, who had the family illnesses of alcoholism and irresponsibility) was near the end of his days, she supported him financially.

heyang

Record Breaker
Keeping in mind that I can't know the full story, one of the celebrities I most respect is Drew Barrymore. She was some kind of addict by the age of fourteen or so, yet she seems to have permanently cleaned herself up in her mid-teens. She had next to no parenting: that largely absent father and a feckless young mother. Yet she has lived with character by all evidence, and I once read that when her father (John Barrymore's son John Drew Barrymore, who had the family illnesses of alcoholism and irresponsibility) was near the end of his days, she supported him financially.

I agree with your point. Both Drew and Bobbie came from dysfunctional families. Drew definitely is a recovering drug addict - she was druggin and drinking in her early teens. At some point, she got clean and sober - breaking the cycle for herself. According to wiki, "She was already a regular at the famed Studio 54 when she was a little girl, smoking cigarettes at age nine, drinking alcohol by the time she was 11, smoking marijuana at 12, and snorting cocaine at 13.[1][2] Her nightlife and constant partying became a popular subject with the media.[1] She was in rehab at age 13.[1][2] A suicide attempt at age 14 put her back in rehab, followed by a three-month stay with singer David Crosby and his wife.[8] The stay was precipitated, Crosby said, because she "needed to be around some people that were committed to sobriety." It seems that she probably wasn't sober until 1995 or shortly thereafter. Since she was born in 1975, she was troubled for 11 of the 1st 20 years of her life.

Bobbi has ALLEDGEDLY used drugs. Given her family history, it wouldn't be surprising if she has used drugs, but, then again, sometimes seeing your parents is enough to scare the child. If Bobbi is in trouble, Drew Barrymore would probably be a good mentor/'sponsor' for her as they both have similar family backgrounds, etc.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Death reports-alcohol, xanax, benadryl, cocaine marijuana and underlying heart disease. The rumor she was denied elective plastic surgery due to failing the health exam was likely true. "Accidental drowning complicated by cocoaine and heart disease-a lethal cocktail with hot bath."

We don't know what heart disease she had, but given she was not obese, diabetic, or family history-maybe that will come out, but it seems she likely had stressed out her heart-I think they said heart attack. I take sleep meds as the part of my brain that should shut down at night wakes up. I cannot go in jacuzzi's. I know there are mostly young and healthy posters here, but if anyone else uses ativan, lorazepam, any of this class, please don't take your sleep med and take a bath. I know a few people that don't have the complicated mess I have but they are on much lesser amount of sleep meds. There have been other "simpler" cases than Whitney who have drowned or have had a cardiac episode when using very hot bath, or hot tub on these meds. The rules around the hot tub specifically state not to use it if you take different contra-indicated classes of meds. I know Whitney had been partying for days, and apparently had planned another rehab stint after she had " a good time." So this woman thought she was indestructable because she had lived this way for 25 years? Who knows when she started using.

I am a huge fan of her voice, and i liked her songs, though she was in my mind at heart, a gospel singer who was exploited by the promise of big money. And in her day, she made big money. In 1992-94, the Bodyguard soundtrack was everywhere, and she was everywhere. He voice was straining by the late 90's. So every life has lessons and cautionary tales. I can always find the great days of her youth and a voice that was the jewel of the family. Cissy, Gary, Dionne Warwick ( I love that music- Burt Bacarach and Dionne's rich one of a kind voice mega star in the 60')- The autopsy is in and I'm glad it is public, as it may save us seeing one less Elvis, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, not to mention the many mazing heroin addict/artists we lost in the 60's. Maybe I am just naive and people only learn when it's too late. What is clear is her closest relatives were enablers and could not say no. Do you think it was Whitney out buying the cocaine on Hollywood Blvd (or more likely Beverly Hills). She knew who the so called concierge doctors were I'm sure. I'm just grateful she was not a pain med user because in my state, ordinry people are dying from no access to pain meds. I know three docs, all good men who lost licences. only people in severe chronic pain without street cred know how these Celebrity pill heads are causing haviv and pain to those who truly need these meds.

I know there would be no discussion if she had not once been so talented and beautiful. Heyang, you are right, Drew Barrymore or any number of young rich, stars could reach out to Bobbi Kristina. I know Oprah loved Whitney, and Oprah was a troubled child/teen. I suspect Oprah would open one of her many doors. She could come up with a great show biz job at her network. I hope Oprah is reading my thoughts. To send a girl who cannot remotely carry the musical/actress into show biz and the criticism of the press as a performer is simply sacrificing her to the worst eleement in LA/show biz. Well, I prayed for Whitney way back when, and I was happy when she did her last Album. "I look to you" nasal and limited in range is a beautiful song (R. Kelly wrote? not sure) and it was where she was at. It is maybe her most moving ballad. To understand the fame monster and media intrusion in her life and marriage, (even if Bobbi invited it for the money) I guess we have to take the most famous skater who ever lived (Scott? Kwan? Gordeeva? Witt? Henie? of the modern era) and think how we fans faun over them, suck up to get pictures (you are the best, my favorite, amazing etc) and multiply that by several million times and you get the fame she had since she began. Did anyone not know who she was in the world? I am surprised this doesn't destroy more people.

I never understood people who seek fame for it's own sake and the money (Kim Kardashian/Paris Hilton). Whitney was born exceptional. Only staying in church could have maybe changed the trajectory. As I mentioned before, Gospel and great voices don't get much better than Cece Winans who is only famous to gospel lovers. Whitney saw what Dionne had and Aretha and wanted it and got it. So she lived the life she wanted. Not very smart, nor wholesome, but I have followed the story and now have closure. I was shocked a couple months back-human nature. I think Bobbi has genetics against her and exposure. I know she will battle this a long time. I hope she wins and does something useful with all her resources. I hope people forgive her for 'wreckin' what Oprah called ' a national treasure.' I kinda get how she feels, even now.

Just to mention a voice that was beautiful and very different than Whitney's, I recommend Eva Cassidy. MK lovers know her because of "Fields of Gold." She became famous/popular after her death of cancer at age 33. She has many beautiful covers and her purity of voice (and maybe lifestyle?) comes to mind. Perhaps fame is only good posthumously. Whit has so many broken hearted fans posting under all those youtube vids. I hope this is closure for her ubers. :(

Last edited:
I see that the preliminary autopsy report has come out. She was apparently a chronic cocaine user, and so there was some of that in her system as well as other drugs, both prescription and illicit. None of these were enough to amount to an overdose, though. She also had some signs of heart disease, which is apparently common among drug users. But the main cause of death was that, whatever caused her to lose consciousness or fall asleep, she then slipped into the water, and she drowned. This is the outcome I pretty much suspected. What a shame to lose someone of such prodigious talent. But in some ways, a lot of her had been lost already--which is even more of a shame, I think.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Olympia, the report I heard, I think said there was a possible heart attack? Maybe there will be more on the "tabloid" news than the network news, or clarification. The benzodiazepines cause sleep, or unconsoiusness, and she had these under different names-clearly too many and way more than "regular" people would get from their doctors, but she had doctors likely in jersey, Ga and california, so what happens in one state with schedule c drugs (pharmacies with computers-the chains_which is all we have-independent pharmacies are all but gone inmy area) is easily circumvented. A state may see on puter every drug you filled and the class C drugs are flagged big time to allow pharmacists to track and deny pain meds and benzodiazepines. It doesn't matter in my state if some MD wrote the script, the chains, and we are 'owned' by CVS and Walgreens here will not fill it if you have two doctors presccribing the same class. of drug. The two they care about are any form of opiate and benzodiazepines (sedatives-hypnotics, "sleeping pills.) So even if she was in a data base, she could always go to another state or just buy on the street. Money was no object when it came to cocaine. It has been written many times, Sony was giving her loans, and Clive davis personally. i thought it was so blase of Clive to have his party hours after she died. A lot of people have said, he her voice was gone and she was just like every other addict.

How lacking in compassion. Chronically ill people are treated like this...at first people care, but as the years go on, many disappear. I think those around her gave up, and her SIL basically said she expected this too happen. It is odd that had she been red hot and this happened in the nineties maybe, the outpouring would have been more compassionate. I was saddened by the many truly inhuman comments on Youtube. A lot of new and unseen videos were uploaded in the days after her death. The anonymous comments on youtube are as low and cruel as it gets. I hope Bobbi doesn't ever venture there to see what people had to say. It is tragic in many ways. But I'm glad they can tell the truth in these cases re autopsy. Maybe it won't help a celebrity in the throes of addiction/lifestyle/show biz, but maybe 'lesser' mortals will change their life because they see how someone with every resource was brought down. For those who can quit drug/alcohol use, I think her story will affect them in a positive way. I'll bet many people think about her these last couple months and have sought out rehab. (Which is totally underfunded given the magnitude of the problem in US! :() I'd like to think the coverage saved many lives. I hope I am not just being a pollyanna.:think:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
According to the coronor's report that was reported on every major news source - Whitney Houston's death caused by drowning and effects of heart disease and cocaine use.

I think that's all we need to know. Just because a person is a celebrity, it doesn't mean we deserve to know everything. I will not be looking at the obits and demanding more info on some random person in my town, same goes for a celeb. We ask too much of them as it is.

In a sad way, a partial cause of her death was old age. Whatever mixtures she had been taking all these years wore her body out prematurely, especially her heart and her liver.

Like you, Toni, I'm not especially eager to learn any more details about her sad demise. I can just hope, that as with Judy Garland (who died at about the same age and from similar causes), time will wash away the memory of her final days and will leave only the essential part of her in our minds--her monumental talent.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't think there are any more details, they listed everything they found. I think it is closure for all the heartbroken fans and you are right Olympia, eventually her talent will become paramount again, but people don't forget a long demise - like Elvis. Dying young seems to give an immortality to the celebrities.

I disagree Toni, about world famous people whose life and death is a cautionary tale to millions. Her family (her mother needed to know) and Whitney had a world wide family of fans who loved her. They need to know, because it gives them closure. I am not sure if I heard heart attack, but did hear disease. I hope she is singing in a celestial choir, and that such things truly exist.