Whitney Houston is dead?! | Golden Skate

Whitney Houston is dead?!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Just flashed under nbc program-whitney dead at 48

OMG, I had no idea...I am afraid this is another accidental or mistaken drug overdose...Her little girl. I still watch Whitney's old songs. I saw the reaction to her comeback tour, and it was awful to see she lost her powerful voice with ll the pot/cocaine smoking. But I had hopes this was reversible and I think I read she was looking at movie offers. There are no details yet. I remember her talking about M jackson, and she looked so good when she returned in 2010, went on Oprah, the picture of health, not too thin. I am in shock. strangely, I am watching. 'The Voice" and she had the voice of a generation.

Oh, God, RIP Whitney. I'll google to see if they know how this happened. The G:cry::cry::cry::cry:rammies will be Sunday night. and it will be about her.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I am so sad. I have spent all my life dancing and singing hoping to be half as good as she was doing the latter

sweetskates1

Medalist
I hope Americans remember her voice and start listening to her songs so that they can start dismissing the auto-tune abusing posers.

When I came home and opened my computer, there was the news. What a shock. She was so stunning as a young woman, with that voice and her beautiful face and presence. I still remember the first time I saw The Bodyguard, where she was at her peak as a singer, an actress, and a glamorous woman. In recent years, it's been painful hearing of her decline, watching her unravel physically, mentally, and vocally.

She was music royalty. Her mother, Cissy Houston, was I think a gospel star. Her cousin was Dionne Warwick, Burt Bacharach's muse and one of the great pop songbirds of the 1960s (one of my favorites of all time). How someone with Houston's heritage and stupendous gifts (and a daughter to take care of) could throw it away is beyond me. A dreadful end.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Whitney had enough of this life. With all her beauty, talents, fame, and wealth, she had a very tortured life, full of demons and bad choices. Her soul has passed on to evaluate this life lessons and whatever karma has been balanced. Maybe she would choose an ordinary life next time. I certainly don't know.

While on Earth, she was a gift.

I am no great fan of Madonna's, but when I hear about someone like Whitney Houston, who was completely burned up and burned out both personally and professionally (her voice was pretty much ruined by her bad habits), Madonna looks so good. Though her romantic life has had its share of scandals, she has always been in control, carefully maintaining her health, her career, and her voice. She also seems to have been a good mother. The same is true of Barbra Streisand, whose voice at around seventy years old remains supple and velvety. I'm so sorry that Whitney Houston didn't have that capacity for stability.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Whitney had enough of this life. With all her beauty, talents, fame, and wealth, she had a very tortured life, full of demons and bad choices. Her soul has passed on to evaluate this life lessons and whatever karma has been balanced. Maybe she would choose an ordinary life next time. I certainly don't know.

While on Earth, she was a gift.

i guess belief in reincarnation is comfort to some. I wish I knew for certainty what happens. How many times must we reincarnate do you think? When does the incurring of karma stop? My religion teaches one soul, but somehow reincarnation seems what a fair God would do. If God is fair. She had a lot of love from her fans, her daughter...she really loved her bad boy for a long time, and took her vows seriously. She wasn't tortured, she had a substance abuse problem, and it is hard to be excited when your glory days are gone. Whitney took her voice for granted, and the fame really changed her....all that money and adulation, and she did not use her fame to help others, she married someone who was sexy to her. I recall everyone being mystified as her image was opposite of him, but they seemed madly in love. She was so beautiful, a model before Clive Davis "discovered her." She struggled with her bisexuality and Bobby, though a jerk was a guy who made her feel like a woman. I have read her interviews and listened on youtube. She may have died accidentally, we don't know. It is amazing that she had that voice, and she did not take care of herself, or her beauty. She was feeling "old" at 33. Sad that she did not want to see the world, or push her daughter toward education. They are all drug addicts, mom, dad, child. She truly believed Christ was her saviour, and her family is very religious. I think it was an accident. It happens easily. If you take sleep meds, and an opiate, it can stop your heart. I don't think we know what happened, so it is wrong to speak as if you knew her. None of us know what lies beyond because no one comes back. But she lived a lot in 48 years and achieved her goals as a singer and an actress, and most important to her was her family. being a mom fulfilled her. I have only heard her records, and once I heard Cece (or Bebe-not sure) Winans in person. This person had the power and range but only did Gospel, so she is famous for Black gospel lovers like me. She really could have been a Whitney superstar. I loved that Whitney could sing any song, any style, and seemed to love her gospel moments on stage with others. I never had chance to see her in person. She was a grat entertainer back in her day. My favorite Youtube performance was in South Africa circa 1994 , maybe? She was performing for Mandela I think. It is the very best performance of hr bodyguard hits one can find. I should posst it when i can. I think everyone will enjoy it.

i hope when they do her tribute show someday, the Winans will perform, as Whitney was truly a gospel church singer at heart. The glossy woman we saw was a creation of Clive Davis. Marrying Bobby Brown was a mistake, and he did not uplift her, but she was very much the tomboy, street fighter. I think she loved her best freind, but she wanted to be accepted, be a mother. Sadly, the money, fame, adulation went to her head and changed her. She indeed had it all on the outside, but she did not want to break her marriage vows, and they dragged each other down. Whitney was surrounded in her heyday by enablers like Michael jackson. Waste comes to mind. With every earthly gift and winning the gene pool, she still lost her way, outside her church. Iknow these medications as I have to, but I am not addicted, just in pain. I think it was an accidental overdose, almost 50, one can't use these drugs like at age 25. I really will always watch her videos on youtube as I hear this incredible voice with no weaknesses. Kind of Like Patrick Chan or Yuka Sato had no weaknesses as skaters, she was the perfect voice-9 octaves I believe? I am not trained in music, but i never heard anyone in my life with more power control and range than Whitney, except for opera stars who trained for years.

Like Michael and Amy Winehouse, she could not overcome her addictions. Recent photos show someone under the influence. I feel sorry most for her daughter who is also abusing substances. With her father, I have fear for the young woman who has money, no goals, and access to drugs. I pray someone helps her get thru this. She has already been reported and filmed using cocaine, Bobbi Christina. Rich people do much better when they give away a lot and raise their kids very strictly, like Warren Buffett. Hollywood is a really awful place where people lose their way everyday and die like this, but they are no ones (to the media, anyways.) i think of Nicole Bobek, and hope she will not relapse.

I hope skating again and working at the rink will keep her focused. Whitney was ridiculed when she did her 2010 Euro tour-people walked out. This must have been tough to hear-all the bad reviews and questions re her health. I personally really love her last Albumn with the song "I look to you." She did a good job considering her range is gone. And she i so stunning in the video. She was in a good place then. Many women can relate to staying too long with a relationship that is not good, mutually destructive. I read Bobby Brown said it was her money that got them into cocaine, that he was mainly a pot smoker. So people see him as the villain and really will now that she is gone. I wish she had a great cause in her life that mattered. She lost a second child. Well, I did not really like how Clive davis packaged her. I really would have liked her to sing pure R and B but he knew where the m oney was, so I feel he did not let her become the artist that others had the chance to, like Arethaa, or Etta JAmes, Billie Holiday, or her gospel loving mom, my favorite Cissy Houstin. I was always a huge Dionne Warwick fan as I grew up with those timeless Burt Bacharach SP?) hits I think Olympia mentioned.

Streisand sang all her life, and will probably be called the greatest singer/performer along with Judy Garland. It is a shame Whitney ruined that pure gift from God. I feel these gifts are not our own but meant to be used to help, uplift, and soothe people. RIP Whitney from one of your many true fans. ;(

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just to clarify, when I said Whetney had enough of this life, I didn't mean she took her own life. I have no idea what the physical cause of her death was.

periperi

On the Ice
RIP Whitney! I feel for her family but especially for her daughter. What a darn shame the way things turned out.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I still can't believe it. A Heaven-sent voice now silenced. My heart goes out to her daughter and loved ones. RIP Whitney. :cry:

seniorita

Record Breaker
!!!when this happened?
I remember I learnt Mj death and Ammy's from this forum so I guess this is the third one..I feel sad if she is dead so young from drugs etc, I still remember the first MTV video I saw from her, I m your bb tonight and got amazed by her voice
And then we went with school to watch bodyguard movie and we were all crying.

I'm so glad there's a place to talk about this. I think that a death of someone who isn't just prominent but an artist who has an impact on our lives has a measurable effect on us. We feel a connection to the person, not because he/she is well known but because, as seniorita points out, that person may have brought us to tears or inspired us to dream. Losing a great actor or singer often feels like losing a part of our own past. I've noticed that reaction in myself and others quite a few times. I'm old enough to remember when John Lennon was killed. I felt as though something inside myself had been taken away. I wasn't a huge Houston fan, but I deeply admired her voice (three octaves, I believe) and thought she was just beautiful to behold. As with many of you, her high point for me was her amazing performance in The Bodyguard. The camera didn't just love her; it cherished her. Her face seemed to glow. We forget nowadays that this film was also a bit of a pathfinder: it featured an interracial romance without even bringing up the issue. Well, what man wouldn't look at Houston at the peak of her beauty and fall in instant love with her?

The thought of such an astounding talent being wasted is heartbreaking. There's no reason except ill use for her voice to have shredded into tatters by her forties. As a reality check, Susan Boyle was in her mid-forties when she sang on Britain's got Talent. Streisand is just about seventy, and so is Judy Collins, a folk singer I always loved and heard in person recently. Elaine Page, the British stage star, is at least sixty.

Extra heartbreak: Skateluvr, you say that her daughter is also using drugs? That is dreadful. With parents like that, Bobbi C. never had a chance at a decent start in life. I hope she can be rescued. I think you're very likely right about the cause of death: those powerful drugs can turn on you in a minute. They weaken the body and the heart over time, and any dose can become the overdose that ends things by sheer accident.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Some celebrity gossip and entertainment news source (TMZ) said that she was actually found in the bathtub, where she presumably fell asleep. It's not clear if she was drown or not, up to autopsy to decide. No illicit drugs were found they say. Go figure.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
!!!when this happened?
I remember I learnt Mj death and Ammy's from this forum so I guess this is the third one..I feel sad if she is dead so young from drugs etc, I still remember the first MTV video I saw from her, I m your bb tonight and got amazed by her voice
And then we went with school to watch bodyguard movie and we were all crying.

Happened yesterday apparently. It's so sad... yes she was a drug user and it *shouldn't* be shocking, but it still is... 48 is not old...

heyang

Record Breaker
Some celebrity gossip and entertainment news source (TMZ) said that she was actually found in the bathtub, where she presumably fell asleep. It's not clear if she was drown or not, up to autopsy to decide. No illicit drugs were found they say. Go figure.

First, I was shocked when I heard the news late last night while driving home. The DJ only said that she passed away with no other details and the internet had very little information last night.

This afternoon, I read that they fould Xanax in her room and there were also stories of her drinking at a pre-Grammy party. The theory is that she fell asleep in the bathtub as a result of the Xanax and alcohol.

Whitney was a major talent and greatly influenced several of today's current stars. RIP, Whitney.

Her career was cut short due to her drug use. Some will blame her ex-husband Bobby Brown, but she was an adult when they married and made her own decisions. Also, they split up years ago and while they reportedly had amicable relationship for their daughter's sake; so, blaming Bobby Brown seems to be out of place IMHO. Whitney was another person who lost her way and her family, friends and fans will miss her.

Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for her daughter if the rumors are true about her partying. It sometimes takes years for someone to find the will and strength to put themselves on the path to recovery (i.e. Robert Downey JR) and some will also relapse after several years (i.e. Demi Moore). I hope she finds the support she needs to avoid the woes of her mother.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whitney had a million dollar voice, such a gift. I am as saddened as I was when Karen Carpenter and Michael Jackson died.