loop or rittberger | Golden Skate

loop or rittberger

kosjenka

On the Ice
I do not get it, I allways watch german euurosport and they allways say 3 rittberger, and on Croatian TV too. But in the reports it allways says 3 loop.

Wath is the catch?

thanks,

dunja:)

tdnuva

On the Ice
It's the same jump, invented by Werner Rittberger thus called Rittberger in German, english expression is loop.....

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
According to the book "The Encyclopedia of Figure Skating" it states that the loop jump was being performed as early as the 1880's and is not known who originated the jump.

Perhaps Rittberger, who was born in 1891, was the first to include it in a competition.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
skating lingo

Europe, NA, and Asia have different names for different things...

Loop- is a rittberger in Europe
Flip- is a toe salchow in Europe
Flip- is a Mapes in Asia because it was actually invented by Bruce Mapes
Cherry Flip- Toe Loop in NA
Toe Loop- Mapes in roller skating (once again, invented by Bruce Mapes)

But a Lutz is a Lutz and an Axel is an Axel...

berthes ghost

Final Flight
EU aside, Europe has yet to become one homogenious cultural mass. :laugh:

I've noticed that on Dutch TV, they call the toe loop a cherry flip, but on French TV they call it a boucle pique (picked loop). Dutch TV calls the loop a Rittberger, but French TV calls it a boucle (loop). In the US, the Lutz is pronounced with a short u, like utter. On both Dutch and French TV they pronounce the u like a long o, like in boot. So it sounds more like Lootz to an American.

The BBC seems to use all the same elemant names as the US. I haven't watched enough German TV to notice what they call what.

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
The BBC seems to use all the same elemant names as the US. I haven't watched enough German TV to notice what they call what.

Over here in Britland, commenators on TV call the jumps toe loop, salchow, loop, flip, lutz, axel. However, at rinks I've skated at, a single toe loop tends to be called a cherry flip (or "cherry" for short), although I believe once you're talking about a double or triple it's a toe loop. Also, the first jump you learn (take off forward like an axel, rotate 0.5 to land backwards) is called a three jump in Britain and a waltz jump in the US. Not sure about everywhere else.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It is the same jump; just called the Rittberger in Europe - after the inventor of the jump.