The men's podium in Nice | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The men's podium in Nice

Boeing787

On the Ice
I don't think Joubert will even get close to podium this year. His performance in last worlds was a huge disappointment. He should retire.

I predict Pat/Dai/whoever

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
^ deja vu, people on the boards were saying the same from 2003-2006 about Plush, to send him the gold medal by fax.:rolleye::eek:hwell:

Which was pretty much true. He lost only 1 competition he entered, where he missed almost every jump he tried, and received undeservedly inflated PCS which gave him a many mistake cushion over his competitors, somewhat approaching (but still not reaching) what Chan has now, but the scores for things like choreography and transitions were far less justified than they are for Chan. The difference is Plushenko did almost always skate cleanly or close to it to earn all those titles, despite that he probably didnt have to, and that is why he didnt evoke the controversy that Chan does.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yeah, Chan's falls don't matter! It is crazy how short program is usually so nerve wreaking for most skaters because one fall can cost so much! But that doesn't apply to Chan. I don't think he has any pressure to succeed because he has realized that despite several falls, he can still win, unlike any other skater.

This is totally non-sense! If you don't know how to read protocols or do additions, you'd better learn them first before you pronounce your such baseless opinion!:sheesh:

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The difference is Plushenko did almost always skate cleanly or close to it to earn all those titles, despite that he probably didnt have to, and that is why he didnt evoke the controversy that Chan does.
^ deja vu, people on the boards were saying the same from 2003-2006 about Plush, to send him the gold medal by fax.:rolleye::eek:hwell:
I m not a Chan fan but he is clearly dominating right now, and kudos for that. It is not easy feat! :)
I am with ptfan on this one. Moreover, I find the comparison of Plush dominance with what is going on with Chan stuff a kind of insulting to Plush. He was not just clean, but he was clean when he won. I mean when he wasn't clean, he was punished for his mistakes and lost the gold title. Of course the number of such cases was one or two because he was the most consistent clean skater in FS history. We don't see the same with Chan. He goes free with all his falls, and now they chose not see his falls at all when he falls. That's unique, Chan-brand and not deja vu at all.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I second Blades of Passion's respect for Yuzuru Hanyu, though with some caveats. The guy absolutely has world class speed and flow, with really intricate skating moves. He moves like he was born to the COP, with its emphasis on transitions and difficult jump entries, which he actually is. He is expressive, charismatic, and he has largely fixed his stamina problems. To wit, this year his FS is pretty backloaded on the jumps. And he has successfully executed all those second half jumps in a few competitions now... except for that pesky final triple salchow (which he has yet to land after completing a full program). That is not to say his stamina problems couldn't be better. Having seen him do his final footwork sequence fresh, and having seen him do it after slogging through his whole FS, the difference is pretty stark.

I can totally see the criticism of him rushing moves and elements. He doesn't take the time and care to let a lot of his moves sit, to hold the tension like a note on a violin and let it thrum. Hopefully that part of being a showman and artist will come with time. And I really don't like how his free leg springs back into place after his Biellmann, with such speed one'd think it's coming off. Yuzuru's posture could also use some huge improvement. He can be quite hunched and neck-forward at almost all times.

Does he have enough to land bronze this year at worlds? Absolutely. But I do think that if it were close between him and Javier Fernandez, the judges would give it to Javier. The same is true of Hanyu against the likes of Kozuka, Gachinski, Abbott, Verner and Brezina. He is going to have to skate that much better than all of them to get on the podium. He could, but I am not going to bet on it.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I still find it hilarious everyone is talking about Takahashi as if he is a mortal lock for the silver, especialy after his weak performances at Four Continents. He is probably the slight favorite for the silver, but not even close to a lock, in fact I dont think he will even win the silver as the field (minus Chan) vs him I bet slightly more on the field. As for the idea Takahashi is any threat to Chan, ROTFL! Sorry but just no. Even if Chan has a disaester and Takahashi skates brilliantly, the judges would never score Takahashi the winner.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
^

They meant "wasn't Kozuka the #3 man last year". I don't think Japan had a #3 man last year. I think Kozuka and Oda were both seen equally and very close to Takahashi. Judges generally felt it should be any 2 of the 3 Japanese men on the podium (below Patrick Chan).

The #3 Japanese man had to skate Qualifying last year and Kozuka won the Qualifying Round quite easily, so yes, Kozuka was Japan's #3.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Does he have enough to land bronze this year at worlds? Absolutely. But I do think that if it were close between him and Javier Fernandez, the judges would give it to Javier. The same is true of Hanyu against the likes of Kozuka, Gachinski, Abbott, Verner and Brezina. He is going to have to skate that much better than all of them to get on the podium. He could, but I am not going to bet on it.

Hanyu doesn't have great speed yet or flow yet, and he completely drops his program when he starts doing jumping passes, but these aren't serious flaws for a kid just up from Juniors. However, they will impact his scores unless he skates whistle clean, as Gachinksy did last year. He's certainly very promising but he's not soup - yet.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kozuka was the Japanese Champion last year but that didn't count with ISU. It's all about the international points. However, I doubt judges under estimated Kozuka. Anyways, I just don't buy all this conspiracy and political clout stuff. Takahashi didn't podium and Kozuka won Silver after being 6th (?) in SP based on what they did on the ice.

tampro1

Rinkside
I am with ptfan on this one. Moreover, I find the comparison of Plush dominance with what is going on with Chan stuff a kind of insulting to Plush. He was not just clean, but he was clean when he won. I mean when he wasn't clean, he was punished for his mistakes and lost the gold title. Of course the number of such cases was one or two because he was the most consistent clean skater in FS history. We don't see the same with Chan. He goes free with all his falls, and now they chose not see his falls at all when he falls. That's unique, Chan-brand and not deja vu at all.

Plush was at his best in a different time era and scoring system. They score each of the elements now and the skaters are forced to skate more difficult programs (aside from the jump content which didn't have today's transitions). So when Chan gets ++ on most of his elements, it more than makes up for those falls. They obviously need to tweak the scoring system as crashing into the boards and falling multiple times obviously interrupts the flow of a program :confused: Chan is an amazing skater and we're lucky to have him. I've never seen such speed with control and total command of the blade. He is quite sublime that most people don't see his brilliance (and focus on just the jumps). His programs are constant movement, no stopping, posing and resting. But those falls are horrendous and don't help the sport with the audience!

My picks:
1. Chan
2. Takahashi
3. Abbott

I don't expect Gachinsky (though I'm a fan) until next year to help set him up for Sochi :laugh:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The #3 Japanese man had to skate Qualifying last year and Kozuka won the Qualifying Round quite easily, so yes, Kozuka was Japan's #3.

That stuff is just based on World rankings, which is not completely accurate to how the judges view a competitor at any given competition.

Hanyu doesn't have great speed yet or flow yet, and he completely drops his program when he starts doing jumping passes.

Nope, I disagree completely. This is just made-up crap based upon what you want to think about him (believe me, I didn't think much of him last season either), not what he has been doing this season.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXX7mfeKJ_M

How is he "dropping the program" during those jumping passes (except for the very last one where he is extremely tired)? He is in fact incorporating them into the program beautifully...with SPEED and FLOW too. Look at how carefully he pays attention to the arm movements in and out of the jumps and how they always go with the music (the harder and more violent arms and turns during the first section of jumps and then the willowy arms during the later, softer section) and are delivered with a clear perspective that comes from him. He feels the music and lets it run through him and he creates emotion and tells a story. There is a sensitivity here that is matched only by Daisuke Takahashi and Jeremy Abbott this season.

Last edited:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Hanyu doesn't have great speed yet or flow yet, and he completely drops his program when he starts doing jumping passes, but these aren't serious flaws for a kid just up from Juniors. However, they will impact his scores unless he skates whistle clean, as Gachinksy did last year. He's certainly very promising but he's not soup - yet.

I have to disagree with you about the speed and flow. He goes into his jumps with so much speed and comes out with speed especially the axel and quad (when he does it well). Kurt and other commentators give compliments to his speed and his ability to gain it out of a few crossovers. I'll agree that near the end of his program, he seems to drop the program a little to complete the jumps. I would say that part of that is that the kid is tired, a big detriment to his success in Seniors. I think Hanyu will at least get a top ten finish at worlds, but won't be near the podium.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
Interesting postings. I still maintain my original predictions for Nice given the current state of play:
Top 2 positions: Chan/Dai (with a wee bit higher chances being given to Chan)
No. 3: Russian/Japanese/American (Gashinky/Kozuka/Jeremy).
But I do want sweetie Fernandez to podium though with a heavy heart I don't think he will be in the top 3. :(
Wee ... Five weeks more to confirm our fun predictions. Time will tell as always.