• Elena Liashenko

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flutzilla

Rinkside
Too bad this isn't a multiple choice poll!

...because there are at least 5 skaters/teams I would like to pick! I ended up voting for Michelle (I was in Dallas at Nationals and she was incredible!), with S/Z a close second. :)

Hi Flatzila - Yes, it is not easy voting for any Athlete of the Year, in any given Sport. And for Figure Skating, one has to narrow it down but, in my opinion.....

it should not be a favorite
it should not be based on gold medals alone
it should not be based on most improved

It should be the one who showed that sometihing SPECIAL that made you sit up during the year. - Not easy to do.

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
I voted for Shen & Zhao. There was something special in their skating this year, especially at Worlds (when she skated injured).

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Skaters of the year?!!

I think they all are deserving of it, but this is how I'd break it down...

Shen and Zhao- Most improved skater(s) of the last 10 years. Do you guys remember how unpolished they were in Nagano?

Liashenko and Arakawa- "Out of the ashes the phoenix shall rise..." yeah, that's cheesy, but those two skaters exemplify that for me. I thought Irina and Lu Chen were the only ones capable of something like that, but Liashenko keeps coming back, and Arakawa, I think, was on the brink of being passed by the rest of her countrywomen...

Kevin van der Perren and Jeffrey Buttle- I think these two guys are the cutest in the world. That's all =)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, if we are really looking at this from a "Most Improved" standpoint, I'd definitely have to say Shen & Zhao. They impressed me in 2002 with their progress, but I never expected them to skate the way they did in 2003. In my opinion, their presentation had improved by leaps and bounds and I can now honestly say that I find them to be the most complete pair in the amateur world now. I also commend Liashenko for sticking around and fighting through, although I don't really see that she has had any real dramatic change in style. Elena Sokolova was also impressive. She didn't interest me in the slightest before 2003. I thought her "Samson and Delilah" SP was wonderful! She gave that program and especially her 2003 Worlds performance such a fiery yet cheerful quality. Too bad she went for dark and dreary in the LP (Didn't suit her at all)!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As much as I love Jeff, I had to give this one to Emanuel! What a "hat trick" to pull off! I think Emanuel deserves the figure skater of the year title. Who would have thought he would "hit one out of the ball park" so late in the season? Let's hope he can sustain the momentum.

Sweetie

Rinkside
Shen & Zhao showed both beauty and athleticism, strength and courage. They deserve this crown and honour more than anyone.

The Contest is Over and the Winner is

SHEN AND ZHAO who are the2003 SKATERS OF THE YEAR. They carried more than 1/3 ov the vote.

The contest was not based on favorites but who performed the most signifcant skating among the eligible skaters during the year under review.

Keep watching, we'll do this for 2004 in December after GP Finals.

Joe

Last edited: