Was Czisny's Omission From The U.S. Team for The 4CC's A Snub? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Was Czisny's Omission From The U.S. Team for The 4CC's A Snub?

R.D.

Record Breaker
The debate is not really why they sent Wagner- she was the champ- but why Zhang (4th) was sent over Czisny (2nd). I suppose most were expecting them to go 1-2-3 (Wagner, Czisny, Zawadzki)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If one takes the stance it made sense to send Zhang inspite of finishing 4th at Nationals, then Czisny still should have gone and the team should have been Wagner, Czisny, and Zhang. There was no logic sending Agnes who hasnt skated a decent LP all year, and obviously was below Czisny at Nationals and any other event the two have ever been in together, to 4CCs over Czisny if she wanted to go.

mskater93

Record Breaker
But if you are trying to make sure you get enough ranking points for ALL your skaters, then it makes sense to send Zawadski and Zhang (especially since Czisny has 1) not historically done well at 4CC 2) has used that poor skate at 4CC as an excuse for bad skates at Worlds)

gkelly

Record Breaker
and 3) Czisny still gets to go to Worlds and Z and Z do not, so the opportunities are spread out

emma

Record Breaker
I don't mind the idea of "spreading the wealth" or opportunities around WHEN it involves the 4CC's; I hope the the USFS will continue sending the worlds and olympic teams based on national results with the exception of injury a la Kerrigan as the 'extenuating circumstance.' I would hate, though, to see this become a slippery slope.

What troubles me about this year and 4CCs is that at least some skaters and coaches and apparently a lot of fans were surprised by the selection process. It seemed surprising that the the medalists weren't asked if they wished to participate in 4CC's and the it seemed surprising who was chosen in men's.....so, what I hope is that the USFS clarifies to all the constituencies its policy so that it is clear to all and consistently applied.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
what I hope is that the USFS clarifies to all the constituencies its policy so that it is clear to all and consistently applied.

I think we all agree this is what the USFSA needs to do. We all want to send the best teams and give as many of our good skaters a shot at international assignments. If one of your top skaters is surprised by an assignment decision, then the organization has not done a very good job either explaining or abiding by a clear policy. The criteria for the 4CC selection would have had Alissa picked first, so those are obviously not the factors they are considering. Assignments seem to be moving away from a strict meritocracy, which is fine given the complications arising from some competitions requiring a minimum rank or score. But the skaters deserve a clear policy understand how these decisions are made.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Good point, agreed.

My immediate reaction was that it was the right decision (again, on the ladies side- can't speak for the men) since Czisny seemed like she needed a break. I guess the surprise for me is hearing that she apparently WANTED to go (really?) to 4CC, and was "[a little] shocked" (her word) that she wasn't chosen. Thought she would welcome the break in competition/extra time to prepare for Worlds since she was quite busy this fall and lost time due to injury...