Daisuke Takahashi | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm sorry if my memory is short, but who landed 3 quads in the same program in 2006?
3 quads: Jouby COR 2006
I dont know anyone else
Yes, that's the most recent one. Note that he landed the third quad after the halfway mark! Joubert was in killer shape back then. And yet he hasn't been able to replicate that level of difficulty. For years he'd talk about going for three, but he never did it again, and didn't even do a 4S until this past season. I'm not sure the other guys in the 3-quad club (Zhang Min, Timothy Goebel and Takeshi Honda, all under 6.0) were able to do it more than once or twice. Landing three quads in a program is hard. So again: all credit to whoever tries to push the sports forward, but let's wait until the skaters actually do the jumps in competition before acknowledging the accomplishment.

chloepoco

Medalist
Some of you might have already heard that the JSF issued the statement that they consider the possibiity that Japanese skaters won't be able to go to Cup of China due to anti-Japan protests there. JSF can't guarantee athletes' safety. If things won't get better by the due time, then J-athletes will lose one GP and automatically will be out of the GPF :disapp:. Cup of China is scheduled 2-4 Nov, the list of J-athletes is Daisuke Takahahsi, Tatsuki Machida, Mao Asada, Miki Ando, Narumi Takahashi/Mervin Tran.

Oh gosh, I hope it doesn't come to that! However, the anti-Japanese protest does sound like it's pretty intense right now, and in the interests of the safety of the athletes, there's not much else they could do but pull them out of this competition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have heard about the JSF statement but did not want to bring it up in the Fan Fest Thread. I suppose if we only discuss how this will affect the skaters in terms of skating and don't talk politics it would be ok to discuss. My fingers are crossed that this will turn out ok for team Japan.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I do hope that things will come down. Otherwise GPF in Sochi will be a stupid farce without top skaters. Russia is not interested in it at all. In the worst case scenario, and considering that ISU won't pay for the event's relocation (unless Putin will do it again :laugh:), ISU should reassign skaters as #11/#7 for other GPs. That will be a fair play in this situaton. This ISU keeping quiet is getting annoying. :mad: :bang:
I hope the Japanese skaters can go to CoC and the Chinese skaters to NHK, as both events will be much better for it. However, if that is not possible, why should they be given new assignments? How is that fair to the skaters in those GPs that will be expanded, who will have to compete against bigger and stronger fields than they would have otherwise? The ISU doesn't give new assignments to skaters who miss events due to medical reasons, or because of visa problems; they don't get to go to the GPF - so why do skaters deserve some sort of compensation because they can't go due to political decisions? And these are political decisions; though it's not their fault, it's not as though it is physically impossible for the skaters to go. 2011 Worlds were postponed and moved because it was not possible to hold an event in Tokyo at that time - for anyone. This is not the same situation, and I don't know that the ISU should enact a new policy because of it.

The GPF is often missing top skaters who miss events for medical reasons, because they skip the fall season, whatever. Looking at the seeded skaters (top six from Worlds), you have 1 pair, 1 man and 1 lady who are potentially affected, which won't make the GPF a "stupid farce".

Considering the topic of this discussion is supposed to be Dai, I agree that it would be better to start a thread in The Edge.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I'm just swoon at the fact that Dai's in good shape and things with Morozov seem to go pretty well!

Thanks for the clip. Is Dai skating to Pagliacci in this clip? Could this be his LP? I would double swoon if it is.

One more video of Dai's trainig in Novogorsk, a part of his FS I assume:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFigelUIDcw

Thanks. I have triple swooned. already!!! :love:

(Does anyone know how the verb 'swoon' should be changed for the present perfect tense, btw, please? ;))

Thank you so much, ostile!
Was my first time to encounter with this word. I checked my dictionary but did not mention any irregularity on forms...I figured adding normal 'ed' would be fine but I was not so sure. Since my dictionary is very old ;) I could not help asking kindhearted GS members for help. Again thank YOU! :)

Sorry I missed your question about swoon, but I see Ostile answered your question. Swoon is such a wonderful word, isn't it? It's old-fashioned but nicely extravagant, best used for reactions to splendid music, the best chocolate, or charismatic guys such as Daisuke--anything that makes you metaphorically weak at the knees. Definitely Daisuke is worth a triple swoon! These days it's never used in the "medical" sense in which faint can be used, though I gather that it was used in that sense in the nineteenth century. It's way past time for things that can make us swoon, after a drought of such items during the summer.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks Olympia for explaining the word further! :)

It's always very nice, as well as good to keep my brain working :biggrin:, to learn on its usage, nuance and/or backgrounds of languages/words.
Without ostile using this word, I probably would have had no chance to encounter with this word (oh...another subjunctive mode which I love so much... :laugh:), so again I thank you, ostile !!

I love thinking about shades of meaning of words. The great Austrian-Swiss actor Maximilian Schell was on an American talk show years ago explaining how he tried to translate "The rest is silence" from Hamlet. He pointed out that in English, silence can mean both an absence of noise and an absence of speech, whereas there was no German word that carried both meanings. And I once heard on the radio a music expert going to great lengths to find an English definition for the Italian music term rubato. (I'm still not exactly sure what it means.) Where words are most elusive is in poetry, which is so notoriously tough to translate. In college, I tried translating poems to and from French, and I can see how much harder it is to translate into a language where you don't know all the shades and tiny hairs'-breadths of meaning of words. Different translations of the very same poem can seem like different poems altogether! My hat's off to anyone who does that for a living.

Kalina

On the Ice
And I once heard on the radio a music expert going to great lengths to find an English definition for the Italian music term rubato. (I'm still not exactly sure what it means.)

Rubato means stolen in English. In music, rubato involves speeding up the tempo of a piece and then compensating by slowing it down later, or the other way around, but without changing the overall length of the piece. It's not written down on the music sheet, it's something that is up to the director/musician. It's like you take (steal) some time from one part of the piece and then give it back to another part.
Of course, if you ask what it means to the vast majority of Italian people, they won't know that it's used in music but will answer with its common meaning.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you let's talk, that was so enjoyable to watch. Quite a story!

Thanks deedee for the video clip.