Daisuke Takahashi | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

redwing

Rinkside
I've been a long time fan of figure skating and Daisuke along with Brian are my favorite male figure skaters. I'm glad to see Daisuke win today over Chan. Although the Chan fans will say this was a cheese event and really doesn't mean anything, I hope Daisuke will take this will and train even harder so there will be no doubt next season even with the questionable judging.

christinaskater

Medalist
I was gobsmacked by Dai's performance! Simply phenomenal!

Only Michelle Kwan, Daisuke Takahashi , Akiko Suzuki have this euphoric effect to viewers!

Thank you so much! I had watched it in the lower definition version and was conscious of the distortion, and I thought it was good enough for me to enjoy. But now with this HD video, I can really see how he connects to the music, and it's even more thrilling to watch this. I also love how excited the announcers get. We're always told over here that the Japanese value restraint, but at a moment like this when the announcers are almost bellowing with amazement and happiness, it's delightful to realize how much this performance means to Japanese skate fans. And to Daisuke fans around the world!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, that was lovely.

I am hoping that D&W's and V&M's FDs at least were broadcast on Asahi TV and that a hidef video of them will someday surface.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Now, this is the part I don't get. Why do those aunties hide their love for Daisuke from their husbands? Is that some cultural thing I fail to get?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Now, this is the part I don't get. Why do those aunties hide their love for Daisuke from their husbands? Is that some cultural thing I fail to get?

:laugh: Yes, bc, I would say it's a cultural thing in Japan.

My husband knows I am a huge Dai fan for years. He knows that I always am a Dai fan, regardless of his results. So, when Dai has good performances and I am happy, and he says he is also happy because I am happy. We are just open to each other, unlike the average couples in Japan, who have been married happily over 20 years.

But on the way back home Friday night when Dai won WTT Mens event, my husband spoke less and less in the train, and hardly spoke to me by the time we arrived at home. I did not undestand at first, but eventually realized that he was actually jealous of Daisuke! :biggrin:
So, I can understand those aunties' situation, wanting to try to hide their love for Dai. ;)

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

It's probably more about them being married woman than being Japanese. For one woman in the article, the hubby is the one footing the bill for her to see figure skating when she really just want to see Daisuke.

It also raise a point of what Daisuke will do after he retires. He'll most likely be a show skater but coaching is also possible for him.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Very cute article. Auntie love, I like that!

Olympia I know I can count on you to give our Auntie Love to Dai next season.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Oooh! :rolleye: What a silly funny article! Now I have to be old and Japanese to join that club! :laugh: Well, I am of course happy for all those anties but in fact it has nothing to do with Dai or any other skater. It has everything to do with J- employment culture. The audience on Thursday and Friday in Yoyogi was different than on Saturday and Sunday. On Th&Fr there were very few young people and many obasans. There were no line in men's facilities. I didn't see any kids and school kids. On Sat&Sun men had to wait to use the bathroom too, kids were noisying around. Middle class were shopping for FS-books and souvenirs. And, there were a lot of young couple, for whom attendance of a FS event was a romantic date ;). Some couples were with little suitcases, probably came from other prefectures. Here normally people don't call in sick, like in my home country for example :sarcasm:, when in fact they are going to a fanclub meeting. What I am saying is younger fans of Dai simply don't have time to stalk him at train stations.

Here is SP in HD too, skating start at 1:28
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZYKvE63hA

Btw, Dai is going to China in May for a show and it's gonna be his first show not in Japan after some time. Before that he will have a bunch of shows in Japan over the golden week.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:
Yes, bc, I would say it's a cultural thing in Japan.

My husband knows I am a huge Dai fan for years. He knows that I always am a Dai fan, regardless of his results. So, when Dai has good performances and I am happy, and he says he is also happy because I am happy. We are just open to each other, unlike the average couples in Japan, who have been married happily over 20 years.

But on the way back home Friday night when Dai won WTT Mens event, my husband spoke less and less in the train, and hardly spoke to me by the time we arrived at home. I did not undestand at first, but eventually realized that he was actually jealous of Daisuke!
So, I can understand those aunties' situation, wanting to try to hide their love for Dai.

edited to add:

What I wanted to tell with the above is, in our society, particularly decades ago when it was just natural for women to become housewives and seldom had to work, people would tend to feel OK for men to prefer younger women, and would feel not so OK for women to perfer younger men...

For instance, a celebrity is dating with a girl, say, 20 years younger, people would say with envies, "Wow, what a lucky guy he is!:biggrin:" Then a female celebrity is going to marry a boy, 12 years younger, people would say with embarrassments, "Oh, that young?:unsure:" :laugh:

Well, a lot of things have changed since then, of course! "How lucky she is!:cool:", one of my friedns said when she learned that Madonna dating with A-Rod yeas ago. But for older people, they might still take it unappopriate.

For that matter, and as let's talk mentioned below (about spending their husband's income to chase Daisuke around the world), these aunties would want to hide their love for young Dai from their husbands.

Oh, and fyi, there aren't only aunties for Dai over here; but many other women who would claim themselves Dai's mommies and big sisters. ;)
Dai and Nobu attract many fans who are older, due to their personalities; motherly love, do you say in English? As let's talk says, Dai also has so many young fans, too, but they just can not afford tickets to every competitions Dai enters, air fares, hotels overseas and time.
For Taka and Yuzuru, I would say, they have more fans who are probably in their teens and twenties.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dai looks like he is showing what we all knew he had. This may motivate him now to win Oly gold. Some thought he might retire but I think he will go to sochi now. If he decides and i am assuming he willin 2013 you don't see too many quit one year away. Too bad there is only one OGM; I'd love Dai and Chanto get gold for their body of works- though that's not how it works. Heck we can take back Evan's gold lol.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Didn't he already say he will continue until Sochi, that Sochi is his goal? I think if Daisuke really wins Gold in Sochi I will cry of happiness. But I don't think his chances are that good. Plushenko skating on home ice. Chan and Hanyu are probably gonna get better - Kozuka might even be back on form. I hope Daisuke can keep his good form and continue to land his quad/s in competition. He deserves that Gold so much, but I fear for him. So maybe another Gold Metal at Worlds if it doesn't work at the Olympics? At least one more World Champion Title before he ends his career.

The thing about a skater like Takahashi is that his status in skating will not depend on whether he wins OGM. Like you, MaiKatze, I will cry (and dance!) if he wins. But several of the greatest skaters ever didn't win OGMs, including Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston, Michelle Kwan, and Kurt Browning. Browning never won a medal of any color at the Olympics, and Cranston and Lynn never even won a world championship. Daisuke is one of those magical skaters who sits at the pinnacle of the sport and probably always will, no matter what happens at Sochi.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I didn't want to imply that his status isn't legendary without the OGM. Sometimes I wonder - you know, I would've been so happy if he had landed that quad and showed them all at 2010 Olympics. He could've won, he was nearly there. But then, he would've probably retired after Worlds 2010 or right after the Olympics. I'm kind of thankful that he didn't win Gold, because I want to watch him skate! Every season! And I'm happy that we got to see many more amazing performances and there still will be more. Of course it is not THAT important if he wins, but because I think he deserves it, it makes it hard to watch when he doesn't. It makes me frustrated, because I want the title for him, especially when I think he did good. I want to see him happy and end on a high note. If it won't happen - well, then it won't. It is just wishful thinking, he already achieved so much. But it is not impossible. I still hope. He is already a World Champion and nobody can take that away.