Daisuke Takahashi | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Someone provided the original link to the auction page on the nearby thread. The pics were taken during WTT. So, they don't tell either Dai is in Japan or not. Meanwhile, I am sure if he were in California, at least one of Russian buddies in Morozov camp would have confirmed that on his/her twitter. As for the auction, it seems like Dai will beat Mao. The auction among girls took place a week earlier, so it's closed now. Dai is already gathering more cash than Mao did at the end. Can't say I am surprised much. :)
http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c385143040

deedee1

Record Breaker
We are in a slow peaceful off season, here is something for you. ;)

Yoji's image of 'on ice' Daisuke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8lfMJOPW0

fyi, Yoji Tsuboi is a skater who is 20yo, finished at 16th at the most recent Nats (Dec 2012) and trains daily at the rink in Kurashiki, Okayama, where Dai also grew up, started his skating at age 8 and trained until age 18. Obvious who the idol skater for Yoji is, isn't it? :laugh:

My image of 'off ice' Daisuke: http://www.amazon.co.jp/大和ネットサービス-ビ...5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371392195&sr=8-15&keywords=アヒル
or, https://www.marumiya.co.jp/product/brand/tenori/tenoritama/index.html :biggrin:

deedee1

Record Breaker
There was a concert in Tokyo today (June 23rd is the official 'Olympic Day', btw, I didn't know that): "The Olympic Concert 2013, Toward the Dream!", in order to literally hand the national torch from athletes of summer sports (2012 London) to athletes of winter (2014 Sochi). And Yuzuru attended the concert as one of the representatives of JSF (Figure Skating/Speed Skating/Short Track). :)
http://www.harmonyjapan.com/joc2013/

No Daisuke nor Mao this time unfortunately, but Dai left his message there:

"I want to skate performances full of my heart, so that will be remembered in people's heart for years. That's my wish for the Olympic Games. There is not much time left for me, to be honest. I will do my best every day of my training and I try to enjoy every second of my time leading up to Sochi."

Gooo Daisuke~! :party:

deedee1

Record Breaker

:love:

This one is for let's talk and other fans who miss Dai and his skating during this quiet off season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2ArhpVJLs

The above montage was uploaded by one of his fans when Dai injured his knee in 2008-09 season. I remember this montage helped many of his fans, me included, to keep a positive attitude when nobody was certain whether his comeback was ever possible at that time.

There was another montage featured with the song "The Rose" by Bette Midler that consoled my soul back then. It was deleted unfortunately, though... Let me allow to write its lyrics because is so beautiful.

-----------------------------------------
Some say love it is a river
That drowns the tender reed
Some say love it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed
Some say love it is a hunger
And endless aching need
I say love it is a flower
And you its only seed

It's the heart afraid of breakin'
That never learns to dance
It's the dream afraid of wakin'
That never takes the chance
It's the one who won't be taken
Who cannot seem to give
And the soul afraid of dyin'
That never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snows
Lies the seed that with the sun's love
In the spring becomes the rose

-------------------------------------

Daisuke and his beautiful skating is 'The Rose' for me. Even without an Olympic medal or World title he won. Personally I don't care about another Olympic/World medal, to be honest. I am simply grateful for the fact that Dai and his team can fully prepare for this season without worrying about any injuries this time. And fans can wait for another season to begin in peace and look forward to seeing his skating again. What a difference compared to four years ago! But I, for one, shall be most grateful to skating god if He let Dai skate one more time on the Olympic ice, because that's what he wants and because its venue 'Russia' means a lot to him, his team and his fans.

Russia is the venue where 17y.o. Dai and Utako sensei lived for months and had to share a small cheap hotel room to learn the world top level of skating skills for him and to learn world top level of coaching skills for her. Russia is the venue where Takeshi, now his jump coach, got the unforgettable/unfortunate ankle injury when it most counted, had to withdraw from the Worlds 2005 after the preliminary round, and had to put all burden to young Dai to get Torino Olympic spot(s). And Russia is the homeland for the devoted coach NM and for the devoted fan LT who fell in love with Dai's skating. Just like many of us.

The next morning after his disappointing 5th finish at 2011 Moscow Worlds. When asked about his future by J-media who rather expected a retirement announcement from him, Dai answered instead: http://www.47news.jp/topics/sportscolumn/2011/05/post_206.php

"I may not be able to end my competitive career with the best senario/results as I would hope for. At this point, I don't even know where the limit of my capability shall be. But I want to give it a try and see how far I can go from here. I may drop in the standings yet again, but I still want to fight it out with these fellow Japanese male skaters. I want to believe in potentials left in me."

The same day he and Utako sensei together re-visited the old ice rink and hotel in Moscow where they stayed in 2003, for the first time since then.

At the end of the above montage when asked about his dream, very young Dai answered shyly:
"Dream? My dream...? To get on the Olympic podium. That's my dream."

May an Angel be with Daisuke as he is heading into his 12th (and probably his final competitive) season on the senior circuit.

Pattina

On the Ice
deedee, thank you for link, for song lyrics and for your beautiful words. You really moved me.
I agree with any single word you wrote. I started knowing Dai only at Vancouver Oly games, where he found a place in my heart and never left.
What I wish most for him in next season is fulfillment of all his wishes because he deserves it so much.
I only want seeing him skating at his highest level with calm and peaceful soul and with his gorgeous smile that comes from his heart.

I haven't visited here in awhile. Deedee, thanks for that lovely song, which is one of my favorites. It's such a beautiful tune as well as a wonderful thought, one of hope beyond where one could believe that a good outcome was possible.

Of course I hope for the OGM, but most of all I hope that Dai can do his very best and leaves everything out on the ice, short and long programs, when the music ends, and that his programs are ones that people talk about with admiration for years to come.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone! :)
At the start of 2013-14 season, I would like to do some more translation, which I have longed to introduce you all here.

---------------------------------
Source: SOUL Up Exhibition, published July 2011
http://www.amazon.co.jp/SOUL-Up-Exh...442/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y/378-3256269-0229815#_

Note:
-A couple of books/essay in Japanese on Daisuke were published in the past. SOUL Up Exhibition is one of such and its writer is Dai himself. At the very end of the book was the message from his long time coach Utako Nagamitsu to him that supposedly was written after 2011 Worlds, which was of course originally set at Tokyo in March, but moved to Moscow in April due to the earthquake disaster.
-Please be sure that due to nature of Japanese language (e.g. to avoid direct reference/expressions) I may add up some English words while translating, or, may change a bit in order to give you its general meaning or to sound clearer, instead of a word-for-word translation. Also, very likely it's going to be long translation due to my 'lack' in vocabulary (mind you everyone, 'vocabulary' should be always in singular form!, okay? ;))
-As usual, I will do it little by little and apology in advance for any mistakes on English words phrases and/or grammar I am to make.
---------------------------------

To Daisuke:

We all are relieved to see such long and hard 2010-11 season was finally over, aren 't we? When this season started, you appeared more composed/self-possessed during competitions in a good way. At the same time, however, I felt a bit uneasy because you somehow did not get yourself fully into competitions where you have to go head to head with other skaters, and we did not see your enormous concentration, I thought, that we usually see from you once you arrive at ice rinks for competitions.

Moscow that we had never dreamed of going to compete, and an accident of a screw loosened out of your boot that we had never expected to happen...The (clearly worn-out) left boot of yours was a big concern for our team before we left for Moscow, actually, so that I suggested to bring a spare one just in case. But you made it clear to us that you wanted to skate with that pair of boots you had been skating with. I believe making such a decision on his/her own is very indispesable for an athlete and I saw your determination in this decision as a top athlete, thus my full endorsement are with you. Looking back now, we just have no way of knowing whether that spare one had ever been put on, even if we had brought a spare pair of boots to Moscow. But the blame is still on me as coach for the fact that the team failed to take all possible measures to help you to fully prepare for this important competition.

(cont'd)

Deedee, thanks so much for sharing with us text that we would never even know existed without your efforts.

deedee1

Record Breaker
SOUL Up Exhibition -message from Utako sensei <2>

This unfortunate accident, nonetheless, lead you to make your mind to continue competitive skating until Sochi season. Moscow Worlds has turned out to be an irreplaceable place, so to say, to yet again teach Daisuke something precious and something still missing for your future.

The knee injury and post-surgery rehab trainings affected the physics of your body so much. You had to deal with your new body and look for proper timings for jumps, which seemed just forever changing every day, and it was same for me as coach to look for more suitable instructions for you...it's been as if groping through the fog for us all since injury till today...It's just that difficult to get yourself adjusted to a whole new diffrent timing for jumps, which you so much used to for over 10 years, isn't it? You have to learn again from scratch; that is something you can only learn by experience by piling up jumps after jumps using the new physics of your body. It still needs some more time for this. Taking such time as needed and once your body condition and timing for jumps get more stable, you can perform better than now and more freely without thinking too much in the head. That's my strong belief.

Daisuke's skating has something very charasteristic, which is one and only, that makes us wanting to watch it over and over again. And its origin, probably, is you are not too stoical (with other things) besides skating. I mean, you are not devoted fully and only to figure skating in a good way, so that adds dimensional and profound charm behind of your skating. However, the fact you've decided to continue competing until Sochi season also means you may have to control yourself more strictly than ever and at the sacrifice of a certain amount out of yourself.
Once you are determined to do something for the sake of your skating, then this 'something' simply becomes nothing difficult or nothing tough any longer to you. By doing so, I would like you to go up one more step in your life both as a skater and a person. That's my wish.

(cont'd)

deedee1

Record Breaker
SOUL Up Exhibition -message from Utako sensei <3>

It is thought-provoking/miraculous that we had an opportunity the next day of Mens Free to visit the ice rink and hotel in Moscow where we used to trained and lived for months together when you were a mere 17 year old high school boy. Looking back those days, it must have been very hard for you at such a young impressionable age. I would imagine you must've felt as if you had been imprisoned, and it planted a distrust and strong reject in your heart against dedicating a good amount of yourself for skating.
'Sensei, let's go and visit the old rink and hotel, shall we?', you suggested me to visit these places we had never thought of or you probably had never wanted going back. I felt so relieved to know that you have come such a long way to overcome the trauma which you had to suffer in your youth.

To be notified what's needed, when needed, how much needed and with its conciseness, it is truly fortunate for us all I would believe. Throughout this season, I too was conceited a bit too much (about your good results from the previous season). I had a sort of self-satisfactory feeling as coach that you were in the palm of my hand, that's my regret.

From now on, I will be always behind you and looking at the same direction as yours, just like I have always been. You have set your goal to compete at the next Games in Sochi. Then, I would like you to go out anywhere you would believe neccesary, put yourself to such new surroundings, and adapt to them so that you are strong enough and able to carve your way to the goal. That's my request.

Daisuke, you are standing at a turning point of your life; a big turning point of your long life after taking off your skates, that will influence in either way depending on how you are going to spend these three years, and how deep and large your capacity as a person will be from here. The one thing I want you to know is that I will always be on your side and rooting for you, Daisuke, who I so much believe has room to grow larger and stronger as a person, that's my promise.

May 2011
Utako Nagamitsu

----------------------------------
<Original message in Japanese>

大輔へ

長いシーズンがやっと終わりましたね。今シーズン試合に入ってから大輔は、いい意味では落ち着いていましたが、
どこか他の選手たちと真剣勝負で向き合っていないような、以前のような試合会場に入ってからのすさまじい集中力が見えず、
私にとっては違和感がありました。

まさか行くとは思わなかったモスクワで、まさかのビスが外れるアクシデント・・・。左の靴は大会に出発する前から心配で、
私は予備の靴を持っていくことも提案しましたが、「この靴で滑る」と一つに決めた大輔の気持ちもアスリートには大事なこと。
たとえ予備を持って行ったとしても、その靴は履かなかったと思いますが、万全の状態にできなかったことに
私も責任を感じています。

でもこのアクシデントがソチへの現役続行を決意させたのですから、これからの大輔にとって必要な何かを教えてくれた舞台に
なりましたね。

ケガ以降は体が変わり、体とジャンプの感覚が毎日違う不安定な様子に、私も探り探りの毎日。
10年以上飛んで体に染みついたジャンプの感覚とは違うものを体得するには、新しい体での練習で積み重ねるしかなく、
もう少し時間が必要です。時間をかけて体と感覚が安定すれば、頭で考えず、もっといいパフォーマンスができると
私は確信しています。

大輔のスケートには、何度もリピートして見たくなる確立された個性があります。その魅力を生んでいるのは、
スケート一色ではないストイックすぎないところ。それが大輔の滑りの裏側で奥行きの深さを作っていると思います。
でもソチまで現役を続けると決めたからには、今まで以上にもっと自分を律して犠牲にする覚悟が必要だと思います。

覚悟を決めれば「スケートのため」が苦ではなくなるでしょう。
そんなスケーターとして自分で自分をもう一次元高めてほしいと願っています。

大輔が17歳の頃、二人で練習に来ていたモスクワのリンクやホテルに、今回訪れることができたのは不思議です。
高校生の多感な時期に、まるで牢獄のような生活は、大輔に、スケートのために何かすることへの拒絶感を
根付かせてしまったのかもしれません。
でもロシアの試合の翌日、二人とも二度と訪れることはないと思っていた場所に、自ら「あそこに行こう」と言った大輔を見て、
そのトラウマからは脱した成長を感じました。

必要なときに必要な啓示をわかりやすく与えてもらえるのは幸せなこと。
今シーズンは私自身にもどこか慢心があったと反省しています。私の手の内にいてくれることに指導者として
自己満足していた部分もありました。

これからも私は今までどおり、大輔と同じ方向を向き後ろに立っています。でもソチ五輪を目指す今後は、
様々な環境に大輔が自ら出向き、自分自身で道を切り拓いていく強さと厳しさを身に付けていってほしい。

ここからの3年間をどう過ごすか、人間としての容量をどのくらい増やせるかで、
その後の君の長い人生が大きく変わるターニングポイントに、今大輔は立っています。
今後さらに大きく強く成長していくであろう大輔を、私はずっと見守っていきます。

-------------------------
(end)

note: I haven't finished this yet, but since I want to post some information on Dai's new programs, let me allow posting it anyway. Will come back, modify and finish it later. Thanks in advance for understanding! :) And don't read it just yet, pls. ;)
-> Now finished! Thanks a lot for your patience. ;) deedee, Jul 16

deedee1

Record Breaker
Do you know this?
Daisuke's new SP will be Mamoru Samuragochi's Sonatina for Violin choreographed by K.Miyamoto

LP will be Beatles medley: Yesterday, Come Together, Friends and Lovers, In My Life, Winding Road by Lori Nichol

Seems true. Source, though in Japanese: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20130711/fig13071116120001-n1.html
Info on Mr Samuragochi from Wiki: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/佐村河内守

Samuragochi is a Japanese composer born in Hiroshima in 1963. His parents (both) were exposed radiation in the atomic bombing which hit Hiroshima on Aug 6, 1945. It was not clear if their son was affected by this bombing, but he eventually started losing his hearing ability asince age 17, and completely lost it by age 35 (around 1998)...
In 2003 he composed 'Symphony #1 HIROSHIMA'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQP...m/watch?v=pED5OICGVp0&list=PL57DD265BA51A64A5, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6rEeASHo64&list=PL57DD265BA51A64A5
He composed 'Piano Sonata Requiem' dedicating to all the victims of Mega Earthquake which hit Eastern part Japan in March 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HylUl28mBg8

Additional info on Dai's SP: Mr Samuragochi composed the above Sonatina for Violin just for a Japanese girl violinist of age 12 who congenitally doesn't have her right arm below elbow. Dai himself picked up the music among a couple of candidate pieces which he also selected by himself (sorry, my mistake) Kenji Miyamoto.

giulia95

Medalist
Additional info in Dai's SP: Mr Samuragochi composed the above Sonatina for Violin just for a Japanese girl violinist of age 12 who congenitally doesn't have her right arm below elbow. Dai himself picked up the music among a couple of candidate pieces which he also selected by himself.

If I remember correctly , once Mao skated an EX while this violinist girl was playing and they were amazing! I'm trying to find the clip!:)

deedee1

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly , once Mao skated an EX while this violinist girl was playing and they were amazing! I'm trying to find the clip!:)

Thanks a lot, giulia! Right! I too remember a couple of years ago Mao skated with the little girl playing violin to...'Over the Raimbow', wasn't it? :yes:

Dai has left for US yesterday (Thurday, Jul 11) to join Morozov camp, then flies to Canada to meet Lori to get his new Free tweaked. Team Nagamitsu plans to have Summer Camp early August as usual, and says he will be there, too.

News clips on Dai's departure from Osaka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_E04Y5e84g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ1S9rqsvwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j81qLOGq_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLNchOnYujc

Dai says in the news clip that his first mission at NM camp is "to do presentation of my new programs in front of Nikolai and to get an 'approval' from him." :biggrin:

ETA: It's nice to hear from you, Blue. :) especially in this Fan Fests threads! iirc you have not posted any for a long time even at Patrick's thread here, haven't ya? The new season is about to start, finally. Let's hope the new season is going to be great, happy, fruitful, healthy and injury-free to our favorite skaters and to all skaters in the world!