Daisuke Takahashi | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

The Elvis of Japan, I hear. (And I don't mean Elvis Stojko.) It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I have to say, if I were standing near Daisuke, I probably would behave very badly myself. To invent a new word, he is definitely a faint-worthy skater. (He deserves at least a dead faint at his feet, doesn't he?) I don't scream very well, but I'm sure I could manage to lose consciousness in his honor.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here is a column by Takeshi, summing up Mens competition at Nice Worlds:

-------------------------------------
Sources: Asahi shimbun, Apr 3, 2012
Author: Takeshi Honda, 2-time Worlds medalist, 4th at 2002 SLC Olympic Games, 6-time National champ

Reminder to readers: Japanese is a rather indirect language. In order to make more sense in English, I may add and/or replace some English words in the process of translations. Also, I am no expert in stanslation, please ignore grammatical errors if any. Thanks!
------------------------------------

<<Takeshi's Eye>>

At this point of history of Mens figure skating, it is not surprising at all to see, (and if you ask me, it becomes necessary again) for men not only to go for quad(s), but to land it (them) successfully. In Mens Free Skate that night, I counted over 10 men who successfully landed quad(s) or close to it. Out of these men, 5 went for 3 quads in their programs, SP+FS combined.

Here is a question: 'What's the next stage, then?'
My answer is 'Add something to your quad(s) if you want to win.'

Patrick Chan, who had made this stream for quads <=set the bar> at last year's Worlds in Moscow, landed 3 quads at the recent Worlds in Nice. He included 2 quads in his Free; the first one as solo 4T, and the second in combination 4T+3T. What is the most remarkable about Patrick's quads is 1) he can jump while doing complicated transitions/steps as its entry without destroying the program, and 2) its distance and beautiful flow upon landing to earn huge GOE. He collected almost 30 points, out of his total score 176.70, with his first 2 jumping passes.

Chan made 2 visible jump mistakes later in the program. However, both Yuzuru Hanyu who literally went 'perfect' in jump-wise, or Daisuke Takahashi who almost went clean <scratchy landings here and there, but> with such a brilliant performance could not beat him in the Free. Why? Becasue of the whopping points earned by his 2 high-quality quads.

For Takahashi, one of his targets <=goals to achieve> at this Worlds was to land a quad itself in a competition; something he has been struggling to get it back after knee injury. He did land one in SP, and another in FS. One accomplishment. What's his next accomplishment?

Up until now, Takahashi has to concentrate a lot to land a quad. He pays much attention on his rhythm upon approaching it, as we can see it. With his success in Nice, Daisuke has gained confidence for his qauds. What he needs to do next is to make it more stable, so that he can just go for it 'unconsciously' <=without thinking too much>.
That enables him to work on its quality <e.g. height, distance and/or flow on landing>, and add more transitions/steps as its enrty to earn huge GOE, like Patrick. That is his target for next season.

Summing up Mens competition, I see it this way: Takahashi stands at the starting line in order to catch up with Patrick. He is ready for it. Finally.
---------------------------------------------
by Takeshi Honda

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here is a Column by Daisuke himself, recently published in Sankei Express, in case some of you may be interested in what he thought about the Worlds.

Fyi, Sankei Express is a Japanese newspaper, which publishes a serial column by Dai fsince 2010-11 season; not on a regular basis but from time to time.

------------------------------------------
Sources: Sankei Express, April 9, 2012 (online)
Author: Daisuke Takahashi
Composition: Naoko Kashiwagi, freelance for SE

Reminder to readers: Japanese is a rather indirect language. In order to make more sense in English, I may add and/or replace some English words in the process of translations. Also, I am no expert in stanslation, please ignore grammatical errors if any. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------

Nice Worlds: A Competition I wished I could have watched as one of the audience, just like you! <1>

Fisrt of all, I feel relieved of myself now, that I could win the silver medal at the recnet Worlds in Nice. I am also glad I finally landed a 4T in the Free for the first time this season. It's been indeed a long way for me to put a quad in both SP and LP after knee injury; too far away from the reality, I sometimes wondered. So the fact that I could put a quad in two programs and landed them was a good accomplishment to me. Now I see myself finally getting back to the 'point' <or, 'my form' in other word?> where I left in the fall 2008.

I have to admit, however, it was the wrong choice to make to add 3T in the combo in SP. In a fraction of a second, I thought to myself; without hitting a <perfect> 4T-3T in SP I had zero chance to win...While I do not regret my choice to go for a combo, I rather feel mad at myself <becasue I missed that combo>. But I learned my lesson. I take it as one of learning experiences that are necessary for me to go through for the future.

I aimed for the silver medal this time

As some of you know, the World Championships is very important for every federations, because the number of slots for next Worlds are to be determined there. You will see every skater to look more determined, well-trained, well-focused and so tensed up, compared to other competitions.
As one of the those skaters myself going head-to-head on behalf of each federation, I did my best, I went for all I could have done at that time. I did enjoy every minutes of this particular competition; from the first till the end. It's been a while I could feel that way again.

Everyone around me told that Mens competition was so exciting and much livelier overall to watch; sounding a great competition that I wished I could have also watched as one of the audience just like others.(laugh)

The medal I got this time is actually the second silver in my career, after my very first medal at 2007 Tokyo Worlds, you know. But this time's medal does have a whole different meaning to me.
At 2007 Worlds, everything was new to me. I had no experience prior to it; <to skate for the championship in front of home crowd, or to skate with a realistic chance to get on the podium>. So I just went for it, freshly focused on myself only, without hesitating anything, and could win the medal. I felt no other feelings but really happy.

For this time, I planned everything, such as training schedule, by myself to prepare for Nice Worlds and made myself really focused on <what I previously planned to do>. Though the color was silver, I am glad I could win a medal as a result.
I always said in the past that "if I do not aim for the gold and go for it, I will never win it." Of course I still believe so. But considering my position <among all the competitiors> so far this season, the reality also tells me the gold seems too far for me to capture in Nice. So I set my goal to aim for the silver this time, and I did it. It means a lot to me.
----------------------------------------------------
(...continued)

carignan

Rinkside
Thank you so much, deedee1!!:)

And Daisuke held a benefit show with Kenji Miyamoto and some other Kansai-based skaters in Kobe yesterday. They had the same show last year just after the quake in Kobe where pepople have already recovered from a huge quake about 15 years ago. Shizuka Arakawa, Yamato Tamura, Tatsuki Machida, Keiji Tanaka, Shion Kokubun, Satsuki & Kana Muramoto and Nobu!! who shed tears hearing "Welcomback!" from the audience, participated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMggbGRCjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJWjWbG1h4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3suoVORqWA

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, deedee1!!:)

And Daisuke held a benefit show with Kenji Miyamoto and some other Kansai-based skaters in Kobe yesterday. They had the same show last year just after the quake in Kobe where pepople have already recovered from a huge quake about 15 years ago. Shizuka Arakawa, Yamato Tamura, Tatsuki Machida, Keiji Tanaka, Shion Kokubun, Satsuki & Kana Muramoto and Nobu!! who shed tears hearing "Welcomback!" from the audience, participated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMggbGRCjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJWjWbG1h4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3suoVORqWA

Wow, I was about to post on this benefit show..You shoot me! Thanks a lot carignan!

So glad to know Nobu came back to the ice! Hope he will not go for everything in a rush this time...

I thought Dai would skate to EX The Crisis. Instead, he skated to Roxanne version 26, did not he? Oh, I really envy those who attended the show yesterday...
I am going to donate a small amount of money later today.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you deedee1 for the translations and carignan for the video clips. So nice to see Oda on the ice again!

deedee1

Record Breaker
------------------------------------------
Sources: Sankei Express, April 9, 2012 (online)
Author: Daisuke Takahashi
Composition: Naoko Kashiwagi, freelance for SE
-------------------------------------------
Nice Worlds: A Competition I wished I could have watched as one of the audience, just like you! <2>

When I finished my Free skate, I thought it was my best of the season in performacne-wise. But the marks I got was not <=SB, but only 1point better than at 4cc>; only came into 3rd in the Free and I kind of have bitter feeling a bit about it. I have recognized, once again, the necessity to put 2 quads in my Free, and the importance to up the quality of each of my jumps. I take these things, <which addressed to me by judges this time>, as my homework for next season.

I heard Yuzuru's Free skate was so amaging that impressed a lot of people.
During my warm-up in the backstage <until the final group getting onto the ice>, I normally put earphones to concentrate on myself. But the music I played stopped in the middle of his performance. I happend to catch a big applause! It did give me one more pressure...
Yuzuru is a skater who is good at creating an atmosphere to draw the audience in. He is also a tough competitor. If I am to stay as the same skater as myself now, I do not think I can beat Yuzuru in the future.

Not being too much obsessed with winning

I am often compared to Patrick Chan, who has won the Championship this year, by people. Or, many tend to consider me as his main rival. But for me, I have to compete with other skaters, too; a lot of them, actually, going against head to head besides Patrick.

The current state of my mind-set is, however, I remind myself not to be obsessed too much with 'who's the rival?' and/or only 'winning'. If I let myself aware of winning or wanting it badly, I may rush to perfect myself, in order to get an instant result. Being hasty or impatient, these things do me no favor at this point of my career. So I am trying to balance my mind-set as best as I can: 'Don't forget that your goal is to win', 'Don't ignore your rivals', but more importantly, 'Don't be obsessed with it too much.' I would like to think this way until Sochi season. No rush; taking enough time as needed. Taking one thing at a time and achieving it at a time.
This mind-set has helped me and brought a good result in Nice; winning the silver medal, I believe. When I decided to continue my competitive skating one year ago, I did not have to worry about other things <such as 'Should I retire?' or 'Do people think I should retire?'>. But I never expected or imagined at that time that I could be a skater as I am now, or get such a good result one year after. It took me three full seasons since coming back to competitive skating after knee injury. Now I can see myself standing at its starting-line towards Sochi Olympics finally, just like everbody else.

about our 2nd Charity Ice Show by skaters

On April 10th, 2012 we, the local skaters here, are organizing the 2nd Charity Ice Show in Kobe for the victims of Earthquake/ Tsunami.
It's been a year since then, but there are a lot of people who are still suffering from it and there are many places where remained damaged. I am not one of the those who had to suffer from it. Or, there may not be much I can do by myself for them. But the important thing is we remind ourselves what hit Japan a year ago, and how it damaged its people, cities and others, we share the feelings of these people, and we have 'a sense of unity' among us for them. That is our intention to organize the charity ice show, and I am more than happy if I myself could be of a small help for them.
---------------------------------------
Edited to add:
Daisuke Takahashi, Born Mar 16,1986 at Kurashiki, Okayama pref. Japan, Blood type A, Graduate School Kansei University
Records: World junior champion 2002 (first Japanese male skater), World silver medalist 2007 (first Japanese male skater), World champion 2010 (first Japanese skater), Olympic bronze medalist 2010 (highest ranked Japanese male skater), 5-time National champion 2005-07, 2009 &2011, 4cc champion 2008 & 2011, ISU's best total score (as of 2008) 264.41 at 4cc, Out for the whole 2008-09 season due to injury
For this season (2011-12): NHK Trophy gold m., Grand prix final silver m., Nationals gold m., 4cc silver m., Worlds silver m.
---------------------------------------------------
end

Last edited:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Good interview. I like Dai's honesty about how he felt about his score in the FS and how he will do his "homework next season". Also interesting is what he says about Hanyu. Dai does not wear rose tinted glasses, his vision is clear and he knows he has his work cut out for him next season. Dai sounds motivated and confident, I like that.

Thank you for the translation!

It's so great that you're giving us the opportunity to learn about Japanese skaters in this detail! I am impressed by Dai's maturity. How wonderful that we'll be able to watch him compete through the Sochi Olympics.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I like the bit of interaction between Dai and Pat and particularly the part where he went to hug Patrick's coach Christy Krall.
:bang:Oh god. In Dai fan thread in one sentence Dai got mentioned once, Patrick twice plus Pat's coach. Yeah, all fan threads should be renamed into Chan fan threads because they exist only to let chan ubers say how much everyone love Pat-boy!:hb::jaw:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
i love how Dai is just so comfortable and personable towards his competitors at all these events.

Me, too. Dai seems to be such a gentleman.

I agree. When he retires they should create a position just for him as the Ambassador to Figure Skating.

Thanks for the link SF.

let's talk thanks for the current video of Dai, he looks very relaxed and happy.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's been over 2 weeks now since the Worlds, so it is getting a bit old news, i am afraid...let me finish some translation before WTT starts this coming Thurday.

Below is wrap-up column after Mens competition by a sport writer of Asahi shimbun, one of Japanese major newspapers.
Most of the article is nothing new. But what's caught my eye is how Dai sees the current state of Mens field and competitions in general. So I decided to drop the translation here.

-----------------------------
Sources: Asahi shimbun, April 2nd, 2012
-----------------------------

<<Return of Takahashi:
A valuable Silver medal for me, says Takahashi with deep emotion>>

"That was such a performance that makes me feel grateful with my decision to have decided to continue my competitive skating one year ago." says Takahashi with a calm smile and sigh of relief.

Landed a quad in the Free. Confidence restored.

Takahashi finally landed a quad as his first elemet ih the Free, which has been his emeny element he struggled with to land throughout this season. Then continued his brilliant performance, almost perfectly, with step sequences and spins that looked clearly improved to the eyes of spectators this season.

After the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010, Takahashi was leaning towards retirement. What made him stop that thinking was the last year's Worlds in Moscow where he lost his world title with a landslide margin of points.
In Moscow Patrick Chan, the newest world champion, captured his first title with the highest scores ever in front of Takahashi.
"To be honest with you, I felt myself behind him. Considerably further behind him, after witnessing Chan's two winning skates."

Since then, the former champion emptied his bucket of 'unnecessary' pride within himself, accepted the reality he now faces, and re-started his trainings by reworking on his basic skating.
In the initial plan prior to this season, his team did not include a quad in his Short program. As the season progressing, Takahashi realized he was not going to to win anything without hitting a quad in the Short, thus he's changed this strategy in the mid season and decided to put a quad there.

Other than his desire to win, there was other feeling in his mind. Ms. Koyabashi of Japan Skating Federations admits as follows:
"He is aware of the current state of Mens field, which appears somewhat worrisome a bit. He thinks: 'We can not show a rather predictable competition to the audience who gets to pay for and come to the competition, before even it gets started.' 'Some of us need to rise to the occasion, contest a close match with the current champion, so that Men competition gets more exciting to watch and rouse more interest in figure skating among people.' That's what's in his mind, and Daisuke wants to be one of those skaters to challenge Patrick, I suppose."

Takahashi believes his Free skate in Nice was his best of the season, and got satisfied with it in performance-wise. But Chan still was ahead of him by almost 7 points in the Total Scores.
"I have two more seasons. I want to improve myself further as best as I can, to catch up with Patrick and other top contenders in two seasons.", he commented.

While suffering a few bitter setbacks on its way, the former world champion will make his every effort to fortify himself towards his ultimate goal.
-------------------------------------------
(end)

Last edited:
Thanks, deedee1! As always, this makes for great reading. This section gives wonderful insight into Dai's motivation.