ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Page 14 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I heard it's really hard to get it back once you give it up.
A child of Japanese has a much faster track in getting it back. And the status "child" in this case doesn't have any age limits.
Dual citizenship is not allowed because overwhelming majority of naturalization applicants are Koreans and Chinese.
:eek: So? I don't see what your point is.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia is in huge trouble here. They don't have their best men, pairs, who knows who is the top dance team and heck arguably they don't have their best ladies. Potentially and arguably Russia in four events don't have their top skaters.

They are going to come in last probably. Do they really care that much? Doubtful.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it can be shown that Mervin is the only thing that stands between Japan and the 2014 Olympic Gold medal in the FS Team Event, then even the ocean can filled and the mountain can be moved as well. Unlike other countries, the only medal Japan cares in the Olympics is the one in Gold color as the team's success is measured not by the number of total medals but how many Gold medals they get (which is usually 0 in the Winter Olympics)

Even if Tran were given citizenship, Japan wouldn't have a realistic shot at the Team gold because their dance team (the Reeds) is not in any way competitive with the dance teams of the other major figure skating federations. And Takahashi/Tran wouldn't even be likely to place first in the Pairs event anyway. I am sure Japanese officials are quite well aware of this.

Japan has never granted citizenship to anyone based on special merit, and I am afraid that Mervin Tran is not going to be the first recipient.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I am trying to be realistic here. At the end of the day, the Olympics is just another major competition. They have a lot of potential to win more medals at the World Championships (if they improve on their inconsistencies), and they should focus their energy on that. Their success should not be defined by whether or not they make it to the Olympic Games.

Japan will host Four Continents 2013, so a medal there would be especially exciting for Takahashi/Tran and their fans. I agree that T/T's success should not be defined by whether they ever have the opportunity to become Olympians.
But I do not agree that the Olympic Games are "just another major competition." Athletes from many sports have said that they cherish not only the gratification of performing in an Olympic event, but also the totality of their multi-faceted experiences throughout the Games.

Becki

Medalist
Japan will host Four Continents 2013, so a medal there would be especially exciting for Takahashi/Tran and their fans. I agree that T/T's success should not be defined by whether they ever have the opportunity to become Olympians.
But I do not agree that the Olympic Games are "just another major competition." Athletes from many sports have said that they cherish not only the gratification of performing in an Olympic event, but also the totality of their multi-faceted experiences throughout the Games.

What I meant by "the Olympic Games is just another major competition" is that the games is not life or death for most athletes. There is always going to be life after the Olympics, and even though a victory at the Olympics might glorify or define your career, it's not going to be the end of the world if you don't participate or do horribly. It's another competition, and should be faced with the same attitude and spirit as any other competition. It's the "just another competition" mindset that's going to put off the pressure, and help the athletes enjoy the wonderful Olympic experience :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What I meant by "the Olympic Games is just another major competition" is that the games is not life or death for most athletes. There is always going to be life after the Olympics, and even though a victory at the Olympics might glorify or define your career, it's not going to be the end of the world if you don't participate or do horribly. It's another competition, and should be faced with the same attitude and spirit as any other competition. It's the "just another competition" mindset that's going to put off the pressure, and help the athletes enjoy the wonderful Olympic experience :)

Tell this to Kurt Browning, Brian Joubert and Carolina Kostner.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I disagree. If you bomb at Worlds you can come back the very next year but if you bomb at the Olympics it might be the only time you ever have a chance since the Olympics only come every 4 years. For for most athletes their peak might be that one Olympics only and they might never get close again.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Even if Tran were given citizenship, Japan wouldn't have a realistic shot at the Team gold because their dance team (the Reeds) is not in any way competitive with the dance teams of the other major figure skating federations. And Takahashi/Tran wouldn't even be likely to place first in the Pairs event anyway. I am sure Japanese officials are quite well aware of this.

Japan has never granted citizenship to anyone based on special merit, and I am afraid that Mervin Tran is not going to be the first recipient.

me too, I don't know why so many are jumping in the bandwagon that T/T are now a potential pairs Olympics podium :confused:
they won bronze with the many mistakes of the other top pairs, I don't even think they will top this WTT, a clean B/L and D/R will outscore a clean T/T

while T/T are talented; right now they still need more consistency and prove their bronze win was not a fluke
If they can still be outscored by S/H , I don't think they are that good yet

regarding the Reeds, they will surely score a new SB here, based on the lack and not that many competitors regardless that they did not even qualified for the SD in Worlds, lol. btw, Ice Dance only gets to perform their FD in WTT, correct ?

deedee1

Record Breaker
regarding the Reeds, they will surely score a new SB here, based on the lack and not that many competitors regardless that they did not even qualified for the SD in Worlds, lol. btw, Ice Dance only gets to perform their FD in WTT, correct ?

No, not only FD.
All four disciplines are to get to perform SP(SD) + FS(FD) at WTT.

WTT kicks off with Short dance on Thu, Apr 19 at 15:15 (Japan time).

Sorry, I cannot find any link in English for you. Attached below is the only link I can find now.

http://deep-edge.net/event_detail.php?No=525

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, not only FD.
All four disciplines are to get to perform SP(SD) + FS(FD) at WTT.

WTT kicks off with Short dance on Thu, Apr 19 at 15:15 (Japan time).

Sorry, I cannot find any link in English for you. Attached below is the only link I can find now.

http://deep-edge.net/event_detail.php?No=525

ISU site has the WTT schedule in English:
http://www.isuresults.com/events/WTT2012_TimeandPrachticeSchedule.pdf
[Yes, the original ISU url has a typo in "Practice".]

And I've copied and pasted below the text from the WTT announcement that was issued in Dec.
The times of the competitions are the same below as in the PDF, but my disclaimer is that I have *not* cross-checked the times of practices, meetings, etc.
21. EVENT SCHEDULE
- Tuesday, April 17, 2012
All day Arrival of teams​
- Wednesday, April 18, 2012
07:00 Official Practice
14:00 Team Leaders Meeting
17:00 Referees and Technical Controllers Meeting
18:00 Judges Meeting
19:30 Opening Ceremony & Reception
- Thursday, April 19, 2012
08:30 Official Practice
14:40 Opening Ceremony on Ice
15:15 ICE DANCE Short Dance
16:35 MEN Short Program
18: 40 LADIES Short Program
- Friday, April 20, 2012
15:00 PAIRS Short Program
16:25 ICE DANCE Free Dance
18:00 MEN Free Skating
- Saturday, April 21, 2012
Official Practice [no time specified]
09:00 Round Table Discussion ICE DANCE
10:15 Round Table Discussion MEN
15:15 PAIRS Free Skating
16:50 LADIES Free Skating
App.18:35 Award Ceremony
21:00 Prize Giving Ceremony and Closing Banquet​
- Sunday, April 22, 2012
07:30 EXHIBITION practice
09:30 Round Table Discussion PAIRS
10:15 Round Table Discussion LADIES
14:00 GALA EXHIBITION
Subject to changes

FlattFan

Match Penalty
me too, I don't know why so many are jumping in the bandwagon that T/T are now a potential pairs Olympics podium :confused:
they won bronze with the many mistakes of the other top pairs, I don't even think they will top this WTT, a clean B/L and D/R will outscore a clean T/T

A potential is a potential. If they are clean, they have the potential to be on the podium. What don't you get?
They won bronze with many mistakes themselves

Let's look at B/L. They have been on the senior level since 2007. How many times have they been to the GPF? 1. How many times have they been to Worlds? 3. What was their highest placement? 5th. No fluke after so many attempts?

If T/T were clean in the SP (get their normal level 3 flip twist, didn't double ft their throw), they would have beat B/L's PB in the SP.
If T/T were clean in the LP (didn't get downgraded and -GOE on their 3Sal, didn't get -GOE on 3T, didnt' get negative GOE on their throws, they would beat B/L's PB in the LP.

Both scenarios, assuming their PCS stay the same. And their PCS were lower than B/L's, of all people. B/L should get 3 or 4 for their PE/CH/IN. They are constantly overscored.

D/R need more polish, but they have advantage over TES. But a clean D/R will not outscore a clean T/T.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So is intended to be an every year event? Every other year? Was supposed to happen in Tokyo last year but cancelled because of quake.

ISU has announced that the following WTT will be held on April 11-14, 2013, in Japan.

Does anyone know where this will be broadcast or streamed?

FYI, per tweet today from @skatingpj [PJ Kwong]:
... hi - just double checked today and CBC is not covering World Team Trophy...
4:24 PM - 13 Apr 12

deedee1

Record Breaker
ISU site has the WTT schedule in English:
http://www.isuresults.com/events/WTT2012_TimeandPrachticeSchedule.pdf
[Yes, the original ISU url has a typo in "Practice".]

And I've copied and pasted below the text from the WTT announcement that was issued in Dec.
The times of the competitions are the same below as in the PDF, but my disclaimer is that I have *not* cross-checked the times of practices, meetings, etc.
21. EVENT SCHEDULE
- Tuesday, April 17, 2012
All day Arrival of teams​
- Wednesday, April 18, 2012
07:00 Official Practice
14:00 Team Leaders Meeting
17:00 Referees and Technical Controllers Meeting
18:00 Judges Meeting
19:30 Opening Ceremony & Reception
- Thursday, April 19, 2012
14:40 Opening Ceremony on Ice
15:15 ICE DANCE Short Dance
16:35 MEN Short Program
18: 40 LADIES Short Program
- Friday, April 20, 2012
15:00 PAIRS Short Program
16:25 ICE DANCE Free Dance
18:00 MEN Free Skating
- Saturday, April 21, 2012
Official Practice [no time specified]
09:00 Round Table Discussion ICE DANCE
10:15 Round Table Discussion MEN
15:15 PAIRS Free Skating
16:50 LADIES Free Skating
App.18:35 Award Ceremony
21:00 Prize Giving Ceremony and Closing Banquet​
- Sunday, April 22, 2012
07:30 EXHIBITION practice
09:30 Round Table Discussion PAIRS
10:15 Round Table Discussion LADIES
14:00 GALA EXHIBITION
Subject to changes

Thank you, golden411!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Reading their blog, I am afaird the Reeds, Japanese Dance team, may have to withdraw from the upcoming WTT...

After Worlds, they came back to New York and started their training to prepare for WTT without any problems, but now Chris has an inflammation in his right leg, once again. He tried a painkiller but it did not help at all. Then tried a compress with steroid paste (idk if it's the right English word, anyone?) and that seems in effect, helps to cut down the pain to some dgree.

His sister Cathy says in their blog that Chris had inflammation in his right leg two months ago, and his going back to full intensive trainings for Worlds too early, before having it fully healed, caused this time's re-inflammation.

While I apppreciate their every efforts to participate in the WTT after such a disappointing result at the recent Worlds, it sounds to me rather worrysome...WTT is not a Worlds or Olympic Games, you know. He had knee surgeries three times already at such young age, and had another surgery on his right foot this January. Health issue comes first. Chris should take care of his injury and rest enough as needed. I know the Reeds feel a sort of 'obligation' to the fed, because literally, they are the Japan's sole ice dance team on the international circiut. But I fear this kind of rushing things may backfire them and shorten their eligible career in the end...

What happens if the Reeds withdraws from WTT beforehand? No substitutes listed. Does that mean Japan does not fulfill the WTT requirements, so that Japan does not qualify to participate in WTT?

evangeline

Record Breaker
What happens if the Reeds withdraws from WTT beforehand? No substitutes listed. Does that mean Japan does not fulfill the WTT requirements, so that Japan does not qualify to participate in WTT?

Well....according to Wikipedia, Japan had three dance teams that were not the Reeds competing at their Nationals this year. Maybe the JSF will summon up Bryna Oi/Taiyo Mizutani at the last minute? Since the Japanese are forking over the cash for this event, I highly doubt they will withdraw their entire team.....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mizutani & Tsubara competed in the JGP last season...Mizutani is now ice dancing with Curran Oi's sister, and finished 1st at Japanese Nationals, since Cathy & Chris had withdrawn.

Junior skaters can also be used, if age eligible, and there was a team that competed in Juniors at Japanese Nationals, Komatsubara & Tsuji.

I don't know if they are ISU eligible...

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot, evangeline & doris.

I hope ISU allows Japan to add Oi/Mizutani as a substitite in the last minute if that is the case, and they are ISU eligible...Fingers crossed!

Here in Japan, Mao's absence from WTT this time already affected media's lesser attention on this event.
If Japan is to withdraw as the whole team, I fear it only adds more damage, and we shall see lesser coverage on TV, also see emptier seats at the venue though tickets are sold out.

Ever since 2011 Worlds in Tokyo was canceled due to the quake and nuclear power plants accident, I was really looking forward to going to this event. Am sure many others feel the same way. I already took care of things at office with my colleagues, was ready to take off in the afternoons on Thu & Fri. Just fingers crossed.

I do hope that things are covered as much as possible on TV in Japan, deedee1, so you can enjoy it and also can report to us!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Here in Japan, Mao's absence from WTT this time already affected media's lesser attention on this event.
True. They invited Miki to skate at gala. They want to have some more recent female megastar to be on the ice too, not Shizuka only who shows up at any event possible. But I think Miki would have probably beeb invited for gala anyway. As for withdrawing the whole team, I don't think even for a second that it's possible. No way! :yay:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I do hope that things are covered as much as possible on TV in Japan, deedee1, so you can enjoy it and also can report to us!

Thanks Olympia!

Actually I am going! :yay: for three days except the Gala on Sunday.

Been a while since I attended an international competition last, which was Grand Prix Final in Tokyo end 2009. (I cannot affort expensive airfare or express trains, so normally I attend competitions in/near Tokyo area, only.)

Am looking forward to seeing world's top skaters live again, especially first time for my husband and me to see Carolina and Patrick live! :yay:
Cannot do PBP but will surely drop a report here later. :agree: