ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Page 9 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Meryl Davis tweet re going to Japan

This morning, @Meryl_Davis tweeted:

"From the Cote d'azur to the Big Apple, we're finally homeward bound...whew! So ready <3 Next stop: Japan!"​

[So not 100% confirmation that D/W will compete in WTT -- but it gives hope to ice-dance fans!]

ice coverage

Record Breaker
D/W will compete at WTT - Meryl said so back in Nice

This morning, @Meryl_Davis tweeted:

"From the Cote d'azur to the Big Apple, we're finally homeward bound...whew! So ready <3 Next stop: Japan!"​

[So not 100% confirmation that D/W will compete in WTT -- but it gives hope to ice-dance fans!]

Turns out that Meryl already had give the definitive word days ago:

During Q & A at FD small medal ceremony in Nice, she said that D/W will compete at WTT. (Answering the same question, Scott had just finished saying that V/M will compete there.)

"annafedorovna" yesterday posted YT video of the ceremony (thanks!).

Harder to hear what Nathalie said, but sounded to me as if P/B fully intended to compete at WTT as well, as long as France qualified (which was not yet known at the time).

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think KeyholeTV is the only way to watch.
It seems like that. The TV guide is here: www.tv-asahi.co.jp/figure/wtt/ On 19th and 20th starts at 7pm, on 21st and 22nd starts at 6:30pm and 6:56pm Japan time.

For those who are in Japan the two other Asahi channels (not available online) will also show the event: BS Asahi www.bs-asahi.co.jp/figure_kunibetsu2012/ and the sky channel Asahi Newstar www.tv-asahi.co.jp/newstar/ on 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd starts at 00:00.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Excuse me for sounding rude, but what is the purpose of this? It's mandatory for all the top skaters to go to it, but it's not even being shown on the Internet? This is just a fun contest for the Japanese, who have the most dedicated fans now?

It seems like an awful lot of work to put on a show that nobody's watching in most of the world.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It used to have the biggest purse in skating, so it paid for the skaters to go.
Plus it earns ISU points & qualifying scores, and for skaters who didn't go to Worlds, that's big.

Is IN going to broadcast it?

In any case, it ends up on youtube rapidly, because Japanese fans are wonderful :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Excuse me for sounding rude, but what is the purpose of this? It's mandatory for all the top skaters to go to it, but it's not even being shown on the Internet? This is just a fun contest for the Japanese, who have the most dedicated fans now?

It seems like an awful lot of work to put on a show that nobody's watching in most of the world.

It used to have the biggest purse in skating, so it paid for the skaters to go.
Plus it earns ISU points & qualifying scores, and for skaters who didn't go to Worlds, that's big. ...

And isn't getting all parties involved more accustomed to the concept of team competition also a goal of this year's WTT -- in preparation for the Sochi 2014 team event?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually I am a little nervous as there are indications of impending quakes in Japan. But the event will be held in Tokyo, right? The buildings there are earthquake proof. The main cause of the disaster last year was not the quake but the Tsunami and resulting nuclear meltdowns.

Nothing is really earthquake proof - maybe resistant. Just like bullet proof is bullet resistant. You don't want to learn the hard way :rolleye:

luvsk8ing_12

Spectator
The US announced their team for WTT today. Looks like Gracie Gold is in and Alissa is out! Smart move I think! Here's the full team:

Meryl Davis and Charlie White
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold
Jeremy Abbott
Caydee Denney and John Coughlin
Adam Rippon

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's an awesome low-stress way to introduce her to international senior fans/judges. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's an awesome low-stress way to introduce her to international senior fans/judges. :)

I'm excited for Gracie! It will also give her the opportunity to assert her presence among U.S. skaters. Obviously the fed has a lot of faith in her for choosing her over other U.S. skaters, but if she skates well here, surely she'll get some GP invites. (And also we will have a sense how Gracie will fare internationally compared to others U.S. senior ladies, apples-to-apples.)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Obviously the fed has a lot of faith in her for choosing her over other U.S. skaters, but if she skates well here, surely she'll get some GP invites. (And also we will have a sense how Gracie will fare internationally compared to others U.S. senior ladies, apples-to-apples.)

The USFSA chose her over other skaters ............... or other skaters declined.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I agree this is a great way to introduce Gracie to Senior competitions. I hope she will have her Senior Programs ready. She may earn some nice money too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The USFSA chose her over other skaters ............... or other skaters declined.

That's true. But it's noteworthy she was even considered in the first place given that she had never done a senior-level program.

I think she will have a great chance to do well here.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Gracie fails to deliver will people who have been hailing her as the US savior go into a deep depression all summer long? Without Gracie there is no hope left for the US.:laugh:

wallylutz

Medalist
I wonder if Gracie fails to deliver will people who have been hailing her as the US savior go into a deep depression all summer long? Without Gracie there is no hope left for the US.:laugh:

Come on, be a little more compassionate please. After Nice, the USFS will take any good news they can get or spin. Otherwise, more predictions of apocalypses (to the CoP) will be coming soon!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I imagine other skater's declined. Alissa was not ready for any kind of competition after last week's disaster. As for Agnes and Caroline i would imagine they declined though i would think they might have wanted one more event to show what they can do. But i can't blame them if they want to take some time off before next season.