International Challenge Cup - The Hague, Mar 8-11 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

International Challenge Cup - The Hague, Mar 8-11

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Brian, thrilled for him and this should be a confidence boost for him going into Worlds.

Poor Jeremy I wonder if his back is still bothering him. Great PC's tho.
Congrats to all of the medalists.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Jeremy best PCS score(nearly ten more than Joubert) and eigth best TECS :think:

What's about jeremy's health?

Brian :clap: Didn't I recently read something like he's done :laugh:
Well, he had to WD from 4CC and it doesn't seem like he was in great shape this weekend. So I hope he's okay.

I think this was a training run for some skaters, to try different things - especially in the SPs. We'll see what Abbott decides to do with his quad and whether or not Joubert's 4S will be making any more appearances...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy was basically too tired for 4CC and needed to rest. He must have figured he had rested enough to go to this event before Worlds. He messed up almost all his jumps here.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
I thought Jeremy withdrew from 4CC because of back/hip injury caused by overtraining, that was what I believe his team stated. I did not realize he was just tired.

emma

Record Breaker
I thought Jeremy withdrew from 4CC because of back/hip injury caused by overtraining, that was what I believe his team stated. I did not realize he was just tired.

I don't have links, but I think it was reported that he was experiencing back spasms (maybe hip pain too) and then Yuka said something like the doctor's checked him out, it is not a serious injury, and this happens when he gets overtired (or overtrained and tired...something to that effect suggesting it wasn't a serious injury, but something that required rest so as to not aggravate more).

Any news on Amodio's withdraw? Congrats to Joubert, I'm very happy for him. It is strange to me that he struggles not just with the quad-triple combos tending to do a double on the end, but also the triple triples...but, great to see him do well (or I can't wait to actually see him...).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
All right, some skaters talks more or less about their injuries/private problems. I prefer the less talking.

Though medaling will be tough for them, I really want Brian, Jeremy, Samuel, Jorik, Peter etc do well at worlds :yay:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Pathetic! I can't stand Carolina for her being overscored repeatedly with a novice level jump layout. She has been quite 'consistent' and 'successful' for the past 2 years by massively scaling down the jump difficulty. It's beyond pathetic.

Her jumps are just alarmingly simple. It's one thing for Kostner to get better as a skater it's another where she just stops pushing herself. That's the issue with Kostner. The total lack of reaching for any kind of jump goal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
^ Kostner's doing all the triples but the 3Lz. You'd think, to read the complaints, that she is the only lady with an incomplete jump arsenal.

Any news on Amodio's withdraw? Congrats to Joubert, I'm very happy for him. It is strange to me that he struggles not just with the quad-triple combos tending to do a double on the end, but also the triple triples...but, great to see him do well (or I can't wait to actually see him...).
Amodio suffered a groin injury in practice this morning. He went back to France for treatment, no further details.

I'm guessing Joubert has been focused on getting the 4S; he didn't even try to max his combos in the FS.

I don't think the competitors of the late 80s could have attempted 3 triples in the SP with any regular success.

I'm tired of hearing complaints about Kostner's jumps. She doesn't do the lutz, and only does one flip. She covers a helluva lot of ice, does far more complex spins and steps than skaters of previous eras, and goes for 3-3 in the SP.

I'm not a huge fan of hers, but to look at mere # of triples, or types of triples and equate COP skaters to skaters of the late eighties is just way off base.

skateflower

Match Penalty
^ Kostner's doing all the triples but the 3Lz. You'd think, to read the complaints, that she is the only lady with an incomplete jump arsenal.

This is pathetically untrue only used as a justification for Kostner's pathetic jump content. We are talking about Kostner's 1970's jump content not simply because she didn't try 3lutz. In her long program these days, she repeats the simplest jumps 3S and 3T twice(her jump layout is 1 3flip, 1 3lo, 2 3s, 2 3t and 2 2a. I'm sure she's like to repeat those 3S and 3T three times if rules allowed. Yes, not many senior ladies have 5 different triples, but they usually repeat the harder triples such as 3lutz, 3flip or 3lo twice. Kostner is getting away with it because of the miniscule difference between the harder triples and simple triples, point wise.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Caro is skating within the rules of COP, which is our current skating system. She is not breaking any rules with
her jump layout. Maybe you don't like it or think it is pathetic and you are entitled to your opinion, but it is what it is.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Please invest in a thesaurus.

And learn to look at protocols beyond the jumps.

Obviously, it is not all about the jumps. That is undeniable. But it is frustrating when I see a skater that tries to take a risk and do more difficult jumps. Yes, that skater may fail but at least he/she tried. However, Kostner has been skating for a very long time. Has a tremendous amount of experience so shouldn't she step it up a little? I see skaters all the time working on new jumps or elements. Women attempting lutzes, 3 axels, even quads. Kostner does not progress with jumps though. Does she have high pcs? Yes. Now go and do two flips in a program or two loops. Don't just do 3t-2t combos.

Mao88

Record Breaker
RESULT - MENS FREE SKATE

1 Brian JOUBERT (FRA) 227.28 (FS = 148.49 (73.83 74.66 0.00))
2 Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) 223.78 (FS = 145.81 (61.63 84.18 o.00))
3 Samuel CONTESTI (ITA) 221.97 (FS = 144.82 (66.66 78.16 0.00))
4 Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) 213.39 (FS = 137.42 (69.58 68.84 1.00))
5 Peter LIEBERS (GER) 209.52 (FS = 139.76 (68.58 72.18 1.00))
6 Ivan BARIEV (RUS) 205.51 (FS = 134.04 (65.38 69.66 1.00))
7 Ryuichi KIHARA (JPN) 183.72 (FS = 124.40 (62.06 62.34 0.00))
8 Kim LUCINE (MON) 174.06 (FS = 118.06 (55.22 62.84 0.00))
9 Paul FENTZ (GER) 167.20 (FS = 112.06 (56.42 59.64 4.00))
10 Laurent ALVAREZ (SUI) 164.55 (FS = 103.38 (52.36 52.02 1.00))
11 Stéphane WALKER (SUI) 161.99 (FS = 107.71 (54.21 53.50 0.00))
12 Julian LAGUS (FIN) 136.63 (FS = 82.45 (39.27 46.18 3.00))
13 David RICHARDSON (GBR) 132.10 (FS = 81.18 (35.02 46.16 0.00))
14 Taras RAJEC (SVK) 123.73 (FS = 83.08 (38.56 44.52 0.00))
15 Viktor ZUBIK (FIN) 121.97 (FS = 83.41 (42.41 42.00 1.00))
16 Florent AMODIO (FRA) WDR

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her jumps are just alarmingly simple. It's one thing for Kostner to get better as a skater it's another where she just stops pushing herself. That's the issue with Kostner. The total lack of reaching for any kind of jump goal.

That's partly why i'm not impressed with Kostner. If she has to simplify her jumps just to skate clean she's not World champion caliber as far as i'm concerned. I want to see skaters who can do the difficult elements and push themselves not hold back because they can't get it done unless they take it easier. It really tells you how weak the Ladies field is right now that she's the favorite to win Worlds this year.

leigh466

Spectator
I think Kostner has the two best ladies programs in the world this year and, jump content or not, I would be perfectly fine with her being world champ this year. Her programs are simply superb. Kostner deserves one for the body of her work over the years too., kinda like an Oscar LOL. I like not seeing her skitter all over the ice like in years past too. Although, I am an Alissa uber fan and hope the world for her.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It really tells you how weak the Ladies field is right now that she's the favorite to win Worlds this year.
I think that's a fair assessment. However, I must say that I find Kostner's efforts inspiring rather than disappointing: she was inconsistent in the past, but this was more mental than physical, and she did have some beautiful performances with very strong tech. But she did poorly in the Olympics, and then she lost her two most difficult jumps to injury - and the 3F was a very good jump for her, so that must have hurt. But instead of giving up, she found other ways to win, became more consistent and a more confident performer, and eventually even got the 3F back. I agree with Leigh that Kostner's programs this season are superb and really showcase her abilities well.

I imagine she will step it up a bit for Worlds. I don't think it's worth getting upset about a bit of overmarking at a senior B.

macy

Record Breaker
That's partly why i'm not impressed with Kostner. If she has to simplify her jumps just to skate clean she's not World champion caliber as far as i'm concerned. I want to see skaters who can do the difficult elements and push themselves not hold back because they can't get it done unless they take it easier. It really tells you how weak the Ladies field is right now that she's the favorite to win Worlds this year.

my thoughts exactly.