International Challenge Cup - The Hague, Mar 8-11 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

International Challenge Cup - The Hague, Mar 8-11

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just saw the marks & the scoring for the Mens FS, but still awaiting the videos, which will tell me the true story of what happened.

For now, reading the judges scores, it doesn't look like a well skated FS either. Even Brian looked to have had some trouble on his 3A, though it seems he did his 4T without problem, and was the only man to successfully land a quad in the FS. :thumbsup: After that it looks like falls all over the place once again. :(

Obviously what saved Jeremy is his drop dead gorgeous once-in-a-lifetime FS, outscoring Joubert by 10 pts., whereas what saved Brian is his technical, outscoring Abbott by 12 pts. in that regard.

All in all not a well skated event by the men. Brian needs to go back to his programs from last year. And they ALL need to skate C-L-E-A-N.

Imho none of these guys will make top 5, let alone top 10 with the way they skated here. :(

Jeremy needs to drop the quad, which messes up everything else when he doesn't land it, whereas if he skates *clean* with a lower jump content, but FABULOUS artistry & programs he has a realistic shot at making top 5, even perhaps a bronze medal if those above him falter (aka Takahashi, Gachinski, Kozuka, Song). Chan's a lock for the gold, but bronze is possible by a darkhorse like Jeremy. Jmho. Oops, as well as Joubert, if he brings back his old routines from last year, skates *clean* with one or two quads, depending on how everyone else does. He & Jeremy are in the same position imho, just different strengths. :)

Now I'm off to watch the Ladies SPs. :)^)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Scores now online for the first three groups; Janet who's tweeting from the arena reports a massive score for Kostner, who skated first in the final group.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WOW 197.73 that means Caro got 130+ for her freeskate. GO Girl!!!

Good luck to Alissa!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just watched the top 3 SPs from the ladies. :)

Ahhh, watching Carolina was a delight because she's a natural organic jumper, always has been. :love: I recall the first time I saw her skate I compared her with Oksana Baiul in the sense that she's a diamond. Fast, quick, light on her feet, with TWO 3/3 combos. in the old days. Just a delight to watch. :)^)

Then came Alissa, whom dare I say is even a tad better than Carolina when it comes to artistry, leastways in this program (it's honestly like comparing apples to apples, they have the same strengths). "La Vie en Rose" should be Alissa's signature piece, by far my favorite program of her ever (even eclipses her "Swan"). However, Alissa is not a natural organic jumper like Carolina, never has been, thus I honestly don't enjoy watching her jump, but to watch her skate & spin is another matter all together. :) If she had skated clean here in the SP, I might've given her the lead by .01, or else tied them, that's how close they are imho. :)^)

In contrast, Valentina Marchei was spicy & energetic, nice performance, but not comparable to the other two imho.

NOW ONTO THE FS, OLE! :cool:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I know it is not official yet but a big CONGRATS to Caro, cant wait to see the video.

Very happy for Valentina for coming in 2nd. Sad for Alissa she gets the bronze but just not her day.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Aye yi yi, reading the tweets from Sebastian Mellab (btw thanks Buttercup) makes me very very worried that the USA may not make the magical #13 at Worlds this year in order to guarantee 3 spots for next year. :cry: And this goes for BOTH ladies & mens! :eek:

Honestly, now I'm wishing Gracie Gold will replace Alissa, if that's possible!?! :confused2: Because I think Alissa is still suffering from injury in the same way that Rachael Flatt suffered from injury last year and still skated anyway, thereby bombing at Worlds, and also receiving a penalty from the USFSA for not disclosing it right away so that Mirai Nagasu could have replaced her...

Seriously, I know Agnes Zawadzki placed 3rd at Nationals, but Gracie's the ONE that should go. Jmho...

I wonder what the USFSA is going to do. :think:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Extremely disappointing scores for Abbott and Czisney, no hope for success at worlds. I hope they prove my bitter remarks unfounded but .. sigh.. they will not.. :no:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Alissa is suffering from an injury she's just not reliable. Which has been the story for most of her career.

Nadine

Record Breaker
ps: and if Evan Lysacek had come back this year I would have replaced Jeremy Abbott at Worlds with him, Evan, citing injury. But since he did *not* come back, the Mens field is really shot. :cry: Unlike Ladies, whom have Gracie Gold to take Alissa's place.

Here's hoping the USFSA does what the Russian Federation is currently doing, monitoring & tracking & testing the best ONE to go to Worlds, as far as their Ladies go...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Aye yi yi, reading the tweets from Sebastian Mellab (btw thanks Buttercup) makes me very very worried that the USA may not make the magical #13 at Worlds this year in order to guarantee 3 spots for next year. :cry: And this goes for BOTH ladies & mens! :eek:

Honestly, now I'm wishing Gracie Gold will replace Alissa, if that's possible!?! :confused2: Because I think Alissa is still suffering from injury in the same way that Rachael Flatt suffered from injury last year and still skated anyway, thereby bombing at Worlds, and also receiving a penalty from the USFSA for not disclosing it right away so that Mirai Nagasu could have replaced her...

Seriously, I know Agnes Zawadzki placed 3rd at Nationals, but Gracie's the ONE that should go. Jmho...

I wonder what the USFSA is going to do. :think:

Abbott's TES is abysmal but his PCS are saving him, but the problem this really speaks to is skaters getting held up at Nationals. Zhang skated better than Czisny at nationals and as of late is a much more consistent jumper, as is Gold. Rippon won't get anywhere close to the scores he got at Nats internationally and considering he's 0 for 4 in his quad attempts this season (not even getting credit for rotating any of them even) and his 3a is still problematic, the entry is still stalked, and even when he lands it cleanly (which is not that often), it's still small, tight, and he gets no flowout on the landing. Dornbush had an off-season but Miner would probably be the better choice to send, his international PCS are the same as Rippon's and he's more consistent and can at least land a solid 3a. After JW i'd even be tempted to send Josh Farris, his 3a is so much better than Rippon's and his PCS are nearly the same. All I'm saying is I'm gonna be shaking my head at USFS if Czisny and Rippon end up placing 9th and 12th at Worlds because they can't land their jumps and the international judges won't hand them huge components for mediocre performances like the US judges do...:disapp:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless Alissa and Jeremy get their act together we are looking at only two slots for US Mens and Ladies again. :eek:hwell: