NBC's SMASH | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC's SMASH

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If Lion King is in your area, go see it. Best Broadway tour I've ever seen. And it's more than just the Disney movie... it's amazing... I went four times when it was here in Alaska. I'd love to see it in New York.

Close second is The Producers... FANTASTICALLY done...

You don't have to be in New York to see a fantastic production of a Broadway show.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was actually watching "Lion King" on abcfamily-did not see it all. I have no kids so I am disney deprived. "Simba" made me cry as my beloved cat was 'Simba' and it still hurts. I have Otis the giant sleeping Orange tabby but he's kinda dull.It is tough times for smaller venues. We get some shows here, but by the time I know, tix are gone or rediculous for bad seats I can't climb up to.

Yeah, the Producers would be great. I'd love to see Lion King, Wicked, any Les Mis revival, any Phantom. There is lots of good off broadway without huge tix prices. It is hard for me to plan ahead, due to my health, and when event somes up, there are no tix as venue is small to insure full houses at our newish Theatre.

Wow, Beach Boys are on Leno and sound good! What a surprise-good harmony to 'In my Room. Oh sorry maybe that was Jimmy Fallon late night. 12:40 pm. GS can be time consuming. Hope I sleep.

Gonna look for sneak peak at Smash finale. Bum -mer!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anchorage is a small venue and we've gotten some pretty big shows the last few years... Beauty and Beast came through this year... understandable why they were soooooo much cheaper ticket wise than Lion King for the same seats... it just doesn't compare... the guy playing Gaston (the baddie) and the guy playing Lumiere were my favorites... oh and Le Fou was good too... but most of it was really just... I dunno... not as good as I thought it should be, but I went in with lowish expectations.

Lion King exceeded expectations and blew my mind. I want them back up here sooooooo bad....

only other Disney musicals out there right now are Mary Poppins and Newsies... won't be surprised if they don't make their way up here eventually (I don't think Newsies is currently touring, they're too new) every show was practically sold out for TLK and BatB.

heyang

Record Breaker
I believe the 'hot' Broadway ticket is still The Book of Mormon, which is very irreverant. Disney's Newsie's was just nominated for several Tony awards.

Just heard that How to Succeed in Business is closing.

Les Mis and Phantom are always wonderful. Rock of Ages is doing well.

Off Broadway - Stomp and Blue Man Group are perennial favorites.

If you're in NYC, the best place to go for same day tickets is the TKTS booth in Times Square. Most tickets are discounted, but choices are limited. They post the names of the productions on the electronic board - pick your top 3 choices and hope there are tickets still available by the time you get to the front of the line. For best selection, you want to get on line early and the booth opens at 3pm for evening performances. Cash only. The line moves fast once it opens; so, if you're willing to take anything you can get there at 4pm and see what's available.

The shows that have been around for a long time have prettty good last minute availability on weeknights Tues- THurs. Most shows are dark on Monday's.

During the summer, there's 'Shakespeare in the Park'. Tickets are free. You want to get on line by 10 am for ticket distribution at 1pm. 2 tickets per person. If you need more as a group, then you need 1 person for every 2 tickets to be together online - no saving places. So, if your ticket buddy gets there late, they will make you go to the end of the line if you're trying to get 4 tickets. I dont' recall the early summer production, but late summer is INTO THE WOODS starring Amy Adams. I plan to take a day off to go to this show and check an item off my bucket list.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Anyone watch SMASH finale last night? I so wanted IVY as Marilyn. Ellis did the pesanut thing and was fired by Angelica-what is her SMASH name? Karen finds out Dev slept with Ivy. Ivy thinks for a minute, she has it, but again Karen comes thru. She does OK with what wwe see. And Ivy closes out the season with a pile of pills. Will she take them? My hope is Derek realizes he loves her before she suicides and lets her do the role when they get to broadway. McPhee is good but Marilyn was not tall thin and smallish breasted. McPhee does not ooze sexpot which Megan Hilty does. She is a great singer and I think her body is closer to Monroe. I am wondering ho is the CD? Don't want to buy it but. At least i can rewatch this series-I never watch TV online, but this has some great musical numbers.

anyone watching? what did ya think?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ivy identifies so much with Marilyn that she now attempts to end her life like her idol, at a much younger age. Poor girl has a mother she can't measure up to, slept with the director, fought for and had the dream role of Marilyn, lost it to the movie star, realized her insignificance to the director, thought, naturally, that she had the role when the movie star quit, got dumped by the boyfriend director in favor of upstart Karen for the role, sabotaged her rival emotionally, got the role back ever so briefly and lost it before she even started. She acted guilt ridden about sleeping with Karen's boyfriend but had the presence of mind to take and keep the engagement ring to use it to destroy Karen when the occasion demanded it. When the attempt ultimately failed, she was herself destroyed.

I'm glad the story will continue next season.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I LOVE this show, particularly how negatively (truthfully) it depicts just about everyone.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
LOL Blades. I read a bit of the memoirs of the grande dame Patti Lupone and she mentioned understudy horror stories without much detail and of course nom names. I wish she had told whatever happened. I remember when no one told her that Glenn Close had been chosen to take her place when 'Sunset Boulevard' opened in LA. I liked Glenn Close but she is no Patti Lupone. I think there are lots of affairs on Broadway and movie sets and of course skating tours. I wonder, did Johnny Weir spill any stories in his book? I wish there were a tell all of the SOI tour in its hey day in the 90's with all the divas and the men like Scott who were wild. I truly want to know if a certain Canadian superstar did in fact get kicked off the tour for a year for cheating on his wife with a certain Russian superstar who had the heart of the Skate God.

Well, it is a bit like Smash, no?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I loved the finale and everything about it. I think Derek is a dog, but deep down I think he's a softy... I kinda want Karen and Dev to work out even with all the crap he's shovelled on her as of late. McPhee, I think, does a great job of portraying a more "real" Marilyn as opposed to the Persona of Marilyn. Which I do agree Hilty looks the part, and does a great job giving us the voice (Uma Thurman I think got closest, though)... I dunno I think "Karen" works better in portraying the Marilyn of Bombshell... whether or not Tom and Julia agree.

Anyone want to bet that Ellis is going to go to Eileen's (Huston) EX at the start of next season and sues for the rights of Bombshell?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
ur right toni, he said he'd be back. i'd love a smoothie, no joke..peanuts included

heyang

Record Breaker
I read somewhere that SMASH will be a mid-season replacement. It's not on the fall schedule.

I was bummed by the selection of Karen. I guess I found it unbelievable that they would pick someone who hadn't even practiced most of the #'s and expert her to execute all of them well in less than 24 hrs. Especially since there was someone there who had learned and rehearsed all except the new #.

As 'bad' as Ivy behaves, I generally sy mpathize with her over the disappointments that Karen experiences. I really hope that the writers realize they need to make Ivy and Karen frenemies - those were some of the better scenes overall IMHO. Ivy can't be just bad and Karen can't be just innocent.

I hope that Ivy ends up dumping the pills down the drain. I'd much rather see her as a strong woman. Given that she was 'blackballed' for flaking out during Heaven on Earth, it would be even more unrealistic for a production to rely on someone who has recently attempted to injure herself. The temptation to take the pills should be a wake up call to Ivy....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think we're going to see a different Karen next season... my one fear is they're going to put her with Derek at some point. I don't ever want to see that, though I think McPhee and Davenport have great on screen chemestry... but shoot he has great chemestry with everyone... even the awkward pairing of him with Keira Knightly in the Pirates films.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When I talk chemestry I don't mean in a sexual or romantic way. More so just how the actors seem to really click in their character interact etc...

I'm not sure that Derek is so much in love/lust with Karen - though he seems to think he is - so much as he just really is attracted to her clean/fresh air in his apparerntly dark/twisted/sad sort of life... she's the light in his darkness so to speak... that being said I doubt the writers will work it that way lol

ETA: Not happy to hear that Frank will ultimately be leaving Julia. I wonder if her throwing up isn't morning sickness and we find out it's Michael's kid? Though the link says he'll also be toast this season... hmmmm

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

It is ridiculous to get rid of characters because fans dislike or are angry with them. Have some artistic integrity please. So now a show can't have villains or questionable characters like in real world? And good actors have to worry for their jobs when writers begin to give their roles negative behaviors?

This is going to be the job market for Idol alumni.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It is ridiculous to get rid of characters because fans dislike or are angry with them. Have some artistic integrity please. So now a show can't have villains or questionable characters like in real world? And good actors have to worry for their jobs when writers begin to give their roles negative behaviors?

They have villains, Dev is completely unneeded... there's WAY too much drama on this show... for as few episodes we've had they've used up five seasons worth of storylines. they need to SLOW IT DOWN.

Ivy's still around to hate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I too find too much drama and too many bad turns of characters on this show but it's the writing that should be changed, not taking out roles acting out the writing. They can be given more depth as the story and characters develop instead of the show reacting to viewers' reactions to the roles.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
while I agree - I like Dev - I don't think they need to be mainstays - and really they never were. They were true secondary characters. I could see Ellis being around much longer than Dev.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
OMG I am going through withdrawls of this show... been watching it almost non-stop on hulu!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
is hulu free? does one get bombarded with ads?? reruns of smash would be great diversion.

yes. lots of drama but it's a show about actors and their lives with the musical a mere backdrop with a song maybe per episode. people read the news and this is 'reality' for show biz folk...i am most interested in seeing the original songs/set numbers and this is definitely breaking some ground. anything is good when reality crap tv-repo man, mob wives, gypsy trashy weddings, ad nauseum take up the channels. The talent competitions are not so bad but the format has gotten tedious. Idol has many guests, surprises but ultimately disappoints in the winners. well, this year any way. smash could be written better but i'm just happy there is a drama I like without gruesome murders and fictitious law enforcement types being caring/dramatic. tak about fake drama. there is a huge appetite for murder apparently and police forensics. dark, very very dark. what does that say about American TV viewers?

I wanna be programming czar!