Plushenko's health issues spring 2012 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's health issues spring 2012

deedee1

Record Breaker
These stories based on experiences from some of you scare me, too.

I just hope Evgeni will get proper feedback; prior to surgeries, on both the 'best' and 'worst' scenario from his doctor. And get second opinion by the professional in this area. Even third opinion if necessary.

I know he loves competing which put him on fire. He may feel he left something unsolved and undesired in Vancouver, and wants to prove again to the world and to himself in his own way.

Of course, as a figure skating fan, I would love to see him compete in Sochi. I would be much thrilled if he get the fourth Olympic medal in front of his home crowd. No one can do that feat except Evgeni.

But life and health issue come first. He has a family. He has a much longer life after retiring from competitive skating. He should be very careful about what he is doing concerning injury and surgery.

Evgeni is the Legend in skating, the King of Ice. I just do not want the Legend in a wheelchair in his thirties.

Whichever choice he and his team is to make, my best wishes for a complete recovery.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
.... I'm not the biggest fan of Plushenko, but if he skates like he did at Euros? Absolutely. What the guy is capable of is simply beyond my comprehension. No one competing in Sochi will likely be as mentally strong as he, and that's a significant portion of the battle right there.

I am not a big fan of his skating either, and I agree with you.

I think even a Silver is possible. With the home crowd cheering for him crazily and putting so much pressure on his opponents; Patrick, Yuzuru, and even on Arthur, who all are aiming and fighting for their very first Olympic medal.
The tensions created among the competitors at the 'once-in-every-four year' Olympic game is nothing like the usual Worlds.

Considering the reports on his knee injury prior to the competitions, what he did at the recent Nationals and Euro was just amaging.
The moment he took the ice and looked straight into the eyes of judges at the opening pose, I saw icy flames burning up in his blue eyes, and knew instantly that this guy would never fall or pop any jumps...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I cannot imagine a scenario in which he comes back from surgery and doesn't get hurt again from the pounding his spine takes landing jumps. A regular person, who doesn't wear a steel blade and jumps on hard ice, has a tough time recovering from this type of injury.

Plushenko is not a regular person. He has proved it numerous times. If anyone can do it, that'll be Plushenko. He might be against all odds, and comeback strong and compete in Sochi and win another Olympic medal.:yes:

IP, do you think Plushenko, if he recovers from surgery and skates like he did at Euros has a realistic shot at the bronze in Sochi? I mean earning it, and not some political backroom deal, as I am afraid this will happen at these next Olympics in the judged sports.

I absolutely believe that if Plushenko skated like how he skated at this year's Europeans, he'd be on Olympic podium at Sochi.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Plushenko is not a regular person. He has proved it numerous times. If anyone can do it, that'll be Plushenko. He might be against all odds, and comeback strong and compete in Sochi and win another Olympic medal.

What I meant was that someone who isn't continuing to punish their bodies doing triples and quads would have trouble recovering from back surgery. This really has nothing to do with Plushenko's will or dedication. I think if you have had a back injury you would understand that this isn't a matter of fighting through the pain, because it really isn't about the pain. It's more that you could end up partially paralyzed, dead nerves in your legs, sciatica, and other irreversible conditions. He's 29 and probably has the back of a 50 year old.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What I meant was that someone who isn't continuing to punish their bodies doing triples and quads would have trouble recovering from back surgery. This really has nothing to do with Plushenko's will or dedication. I think if you have had a back injury you would understand that this isn't a matter of fighting through the pain, because it really isn't about the pain. It's more that you could end up partially paralyzed, dead nerves in your legs, sciatica, and other irreversible conditions. He's 29 and probably has the back of a 50 year old.

this is where my dad is with his neck. His right side goes numb randomly, and is constantly in that state of "waking up/tingly" feeling. If he takes a fall wrong or has aany type of accident really he could become paralyzed all the way down... it's scary. All because at sixteen he was stupid and didn't wear a seatbelt and he and his buddy went joyriding... and he played hard after that too... still does, except now his body has just said "NO MORE!"

hurrah

Medalist
Reading this thread makes me aware that figure skating is a really dangerous sports.
I hope Plushenko gets very, very good advice from doctors. He's already a legend, and having just won Europeans at 29 years of age with rave reviews, if he were to never return to competition, it would have been a very good way to end his career.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's Plushenko's decision to make. If he's determined to be a bionic man, he should also consider that even Superman succumbed to spinal injury. Christopher Reeve's determination didn't reverse his condition.

spikydurian

Medalist
Indeed, it is Plushy's decision to make. And I also agree that if he skates the way he did in Euros, he can still medal in Sochi. I have never written him off. He's a legend and very driven to win as Skatelurv pointed out. It's good for figure skating and competition if he skates at Sochi. I am sure the Russians will look forward to supporting their legend in full force. On a positive note, perhaps his operation may not be as serious as we think? Maybe the press twisted the facts? And it's just a routine knee surgery? We will know in two years' time. Again, good luck to Plushy on his operation. The legend will get the best doctors. Heal fast and well.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I am not saying his life is meaningless, but he is a skater who cannot seem to stay in retirement, Seniorita, would you dispute that? He is a skater, a champion, it is his life's work, and clearly, he does not find show skating or ANYTHING else so far fulfilling enough to let go.....
No you didnt say anything wrong, it just sounds oversimplified to me, like I cant find a reasonable excuse so it must be this. I just disagree. I can tell you skaters that are at Evgeni's age with no so frequent or at all podium finishes( if a win is an extra motivation to keep going) and still have the drive to compete for some reason. Kristofer Brentsson retired at 28 (and he was so missed at Euros). KVDP seems not to retire again! (for what I read about Worlds). Joubert doesnt retire (I hope he doesnt retire anyway) even if he has accomplised a lot the past ten seasons and has been injured a lot as well, he just not talks about it at all, contrary to Evgeni. If they stay till Sochi it will be their 4th Olys too. Most important, Pfeiffer doesnt retire, yey..although he skates the last ten years (people know how much i love him:laugh:). Weir is coming back, Evan is probably coming back, it looks the trend now.
Back in 2009 I was reading how Plushenko, 26 then, doesnt let go at this age, and now lets see how many top skaters are 26 or older now but people dont mind them not retiring.
I cant explain why he wants to compete, if it was me I would buy a house in Costa Rica and stay there. If I knew the reason for his first comeback, even more the second, I d be Olympic Champion too. But even after Torino he looked far more ambitious than skating to Ice Age which is the norm for Oly Champ in Russia so who knows..
I can assume that he was pissed off with Vancouver, the medal and /or the critics and the extra motivation is fact that Olys are in Russia where he has rarely skated in a big event in front of home crowd. He was very active for the Sochi bid. Plus there is not a deep field in Russia and other then Gatsinksi I dont see anyone challenge him at Nationals. If Olympics were in another country maybe he wouldnt care. But I cant go as far as speculating that he doesnt find anything interesting besides that so he keeps competing. I think this reason alone cant get you out of bed to train. And I dont know if Putin has promised him a medal in Sochi, but if that is his motive, what did they had promised him for Vancouver and he bothered anyway?
And no, I wouldnt take a bullet for any guy, even more for a stranger.:laugh:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about this latest health issue that Plushy is facing, he has been through so much for this sport, one can surely surmise that he loves to skate and compete.
Wishing him a quick recovery.

deedee1

Record Breaker

seniorita

Record Breaker
That was fast!! But it is great news!! Now please someone tie him down for 2-3 months!!:biggrin:

hurrah

Medalist
I wonder if it was both knee and back?? Great news that his operation was successful!

bestskate8

On the Ice

No you didnt say anything wrong, it just sounds oversimplified to me, like I cant find a reasonable excuse so it must be this. I just disagree. I can tell you skaters that are at Evgeni's age with no so frequent or at all podium finishes( if a win is an extra motivation to keep going) and still have the drive to compete for some reason. Kristofer Brentsson retired at 28 (and he was so missed at Euros). KVDP seems not to retire again! (for what I read about Worlds). Joubert doesnt retire (I hope he doesnt retire anyway) even if he has accomplised a lot the past ten seasons and has been injured a lot as well, he just not talks about it at all, contrary to Evgeni. If they stay till Sochi it will be their 4th Olys too. Most important, Pfeiffer doesnt retire, yey..although he skates the last ten years (people know how much i love him:laugh:). Weir is coming back, Evan is probably coming back, it looks the trend now.
Back in 2009 I was reading how Plushenko, 26 then, doesnt let go at this age, and now lets see how many top skaters are 26 or older now but people dont mind them not retiring.

Plushenko didn't compete 4.5 years in total between 2006-2012, why people don't subtract those years.
Plushenkos body even with those who are 24-25 now :p
Almost every skater has health problems, but media likes to follow Plushenko very close because he is so popular.

After watching him at Euros live, tell you, NO one can match his presentation and interpretation. He dominated like tiger. :laugh: imho

Wish him fully recovery and compete for GOLD in Sochi! :thumbsup:

periperi

On the Ice
And who would deserve horrible. But it happens to the good and bad alike. It is called life, and if one lives long enough, horrible is often in the mix. He is choosing with much knowledge and I am sure the best of care. In the end, it is his life and health, and he isn't harming another or doing something illegal. his life is apparently rather meaningless without competitive skating.

You're right, no one does. That was a poorly worded statement on my part.

I hope his life without skating isn't meaningless, but it does seem as though he may be finding it difficult to move on from being competitive in the sport he obviously loves dearly. It's gotta be tough to continue to have a blazing motivation to do more while you're body is basically giving up on you.

And it seems that the spinal surgery has been done? Unless it's for his knee, it's seems no one is sure. Well, I wish Evgeni the best of luck.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Not only does Plushenko skate because he just plain loves it. He said in an interview once that skating and competing gives an adrenaline rush. It's like race cars for others or extreme sports. Life is boring without it.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I cant explain why he wants to compete, if it was me I would buy a house in Costa Rica and stay there. If I knew the reason for his first comeback, even more the second, I d be Olympic Champion too. But even after Torino he looked far more ambitious than skating to Ice Age which is the norm for Oly Champ in Russia so who knows..
I can assume that he was pissed off with Vancouver, the medal and /or the critics and the extra motivation is fact that Olys are in Russia where he has rarely skated in a big event in front of home crowd. He was very active for the Sochi bid. Plus there is not a deep field in Russia and other then Gatsinksi I dont see anyone challenge him at Nationals. If Olympics were in another country maybe he wouldnt care. But I cant go as far as speculating that he doesnt find anything interesting besides that so he keeps competing. I think this reason alone cant get you out of bed to train. And I dont know if Putin has promised him a medal in Sochi, but if that is his motive, what did they had promised him for Vancouver and he bothered anyway?
And no, I wouldnt take a bullet for any guy, even more for a stranger.:laugh:

Not only does Plushenko skate because he just plain loves it. He said in an interview once that skating and competing gives an adrenaline rush. It's like race cars for others or extreme sports. Life is boring without it.

I think multiple retirements and come backs are more common than people might think.

Not only Plushy but Lambiel also came back in 2010 Olympics. Remember Michael Jordan? He is equally or perhaps more legendary than Plushy; Jordan's comeback and pursuit of former glory died hard.

Among tennis players, Kim Clijsters, Justin Henin, Lindsey Davenport all mounted come-backs with various degree of successes. I've once heard from "legendary" John McEnroe that many athletes wouldn't know what to do after retirement. Those are highly competitive and driven people who pursued a single goal with intensity for sustained amount of time. Not many other live pursuits provide that level of intensity and gratification, I suppose, as least to those athletes.