Cain and Reagan End Partnership | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cain and Reagan End Partnership

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Not surprised. When I saw them at JGPF a couple of years ago, I thought she was relatively tall then, and told my fellow competition-watcher that if she grew much at all, the size difference was going to shrink to the point where it would be a problem. She's got to be at least 5'-5" maybe 5'-6".

Pinkie

Spectator
I hear Cain was shocked by Josh's decision and never even knew it was coming! She was committed to skating with him their entire career.

Pinkie

Spectator
Thanks this is my first time to post anything. I just looked on Ashley Cain's Team USA bio. She is 16, so she is quite young. She still has time to find a taller partner with better skating skills.

feraina

Record Breaker
Thanks this is my first time to post anything. I just looked on Ashley Cain's Team USA bio. She is 16, so she is quite young. She still has time to find a taller partner with better skating skills.

I agree. Meagan Duhamel made the switch to pairs much later and is now doing well largely due to her strong singles training. I don't think it will do much harm to Ashley's long-term pairs prospects if she focused only on singles for the next season or two. I think additional growth in height will be much more harmful for a pairs career. So maybe she might as well improve her singles skills/standing for now and see where her height takes her. She has beautiful presentation and carriage, she already gets really good PCS for her technical content. If she focuses on her singles technical skills, I think she can really improve her skating and results. Maybe being dumped by Josh was really a blessing in disguise.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear this, especially seeing how obvious it was at this year's Nationals how good they were, both technically & artistically, but especially the former. :) I honestly felt worried for my fav pair Donlan & Speroff because I could see Cain & Reagan overtaking them in the future with the consistency they have on their technical goods, though D&S are better artistically. But as jumps are harder to learn & maintain they, C&R, obviously had the greater advantage. Jmho.

That said, I think Reagan may end up kicking himself in the future (or even going back to Cain) because she's a better jumper than Caitlin imho. ;)

And remember it's not necessarily a huge "height" difference that makes a better pair, rather the strength of the male pair partner (aka Han & Coughlin). Jmho. :)

Good Luck to them BOTH! :)^)

lcd

Match Penalty
Strength in the jumping abilities of the girl is definitely a key asset, so we will see. I cannot imagine that it was always straight forward and easy though, for him to be part of a team where the coach was the girl's father. In that situation, the priorities must have always been a bit of a paradox for Josh, with Ashley skating both singles and pairs. When she went off for her Junior Grand Prixs, he was left to train by himself. Not an optimal way to prepare for Senior Grand Prix events in pairs, and if you are him, you are wondering whether the compromises are not sufficiently aligned to your goals.

Good luck to them both. Need more strong pairs and if it took cleaving and re pairings, that seems the nature of the sport in the US unfortunately.

Pinkie

Spectator
Cain is a great jumper. I am a huge fan. Cain and Reagan had a coaching team that included 4 coaches, so I think Reagan would have alot of additional help and support. In this situation I would hope Reagan would be smart enough to work with one of the other coaches while she was away to improve some of his own skating skills. I believe she competed in 2 Grand Prixs this past season in singles and they did 2 Grand Prixs in pairs. Wish they were still together but hope for nothing but the best for each of them in their perspective futures. I will be following!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Caitlin better be waiting outside Joshua Reagan's rink with a giant net. A rapid-firing taser would also be prudent, to use on the hordes of partnerless pairs women no doubt trying to poach Joshua.

Anyone know why Ashley and Joshua ended their partnership? Does Ashley want to focus on her singles skating? Did she get too tall for Joshua?

LOL, just looking at this thread, so funny SB!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At this point, we haven't seen any press releases or interviews, discussing what Josh's exact plans are. But definitely inquiring minds want to know.