Any News on Laura Lepisto? | Golden Skate

Any News on Laura Lepisto?

russell30

Final Flight
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew of Laura Lepisto's injury, if it has heeled, doing light training or just enjoying "normal life" at the minute. I hope all is well for her.

Such a shame she has missed 2 seasons :disapp:

glam

On the Ice
She will make the decision of her competitive career during this spring/summer. She wants to do shows first in order to find a spark to start the competitive training. So, I think we will hear about it after some months!

I do hope she comes back. I hate for skaters to be forced into retirement by injury. And I love the idea of Finland as a multi-skater country, with Laura and Kiira both active.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The weight of a horrifically undeserved Bronze medal at Worlds 2010 angered the Gods of Skating. They decided that gravity should become twice as heavy for Lepisto in order to stop any further injustice. As such, she has been getting injured when trying to train difficult moves for the past two years. She is currently seeking the counsel of various liaisons to the Gods, to see if they will release her from the curse. The blood of many goats across Finland have already been spilled to try and obtain appeasement.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I still preferred watching her to Kira. Kira has that face but watch how she moves. Laura had more elegance and I miss seeing her. She won bronze under CoP because so many skated badly. It happens, I've seen less deserving people get bronze. Look how they held up the silver medalist?

lcd

Match Penalty
Isn't it the truth. Anger of the Gods of Skating. And what? She happened to skate energetically and clean. Others did not put it out there. Too head shakingly true. Hope she is on the mend.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Isn't it the truth. Anger of the Gods of Skating. And what? She happened to skate energetically and clean. Others did not put it out there. Too head shakingly true. Hope she is on the mend.

Cynthia Phaneuf, Miki Ando, and Carolina Kostner all skated far better. I believe Mirai Nagasu should have placed above her overall as well, with her Short Program lead.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If you feel like it blades, post the videos of the skate. I doubt many of us recall all these skates. i will look at Mirai again. The skating was generally very bad i recall, as it usually is after Olympics with who is left. I remember Miki was very off, that yuna got gifted with silver, that mirai was in the lead after the short (is this right) and really blew it, but my memory is not good now, so I will look at the skates to see what merit your post expresses.

OT, how is the weather in CA? We are in snow, Lucky Blades!

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Cynthia Phaneuf - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ65cEPvg7E - The performance of her career. Not a single -GOE or missed rotation to be found here and skated with real confidence and strong technique. Deserved to win the Bronze medal.

Miki Ando - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MIZYn_Z6Rk - Sketchy choreography but energetic and technically strong. She deserved to place 4th.

Carolina Kostner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49l915RUHPY - A solid, almost effervescent performance. There are some flaws throughout the whole performance technically but none of them are huge and the attempted content was relatively high. Deserved 5th place.

Laura Lepisto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Z1j5-opgU - A very nice opening and then mostly underwhelming for the next 3 minutes, with no Triple jumps at all and no especially brilliant non-jump elements or choreography or performance quality. She deserved to place 7th overall.

It should be noted that Lepisto did place lower than Phaneuf/Ando/Kostner in the Long Program, and won her Bronze on the strength of the Short Program, but I believe she was overmarked in both segments of the competition. She totally messed up her 2Axel in the Short Program so it's not like she even deserved to have a huge lead over the other ladies in that segment and then in the Long Program she received too much +GOE (the step sequence was good, not amazing, she doesn't have great spiral positions and the spins were average) and PCS. In terms of that second mark, for both the SP and LP, I feel Lepisto rushed some of her movements and was awkward with the arms in places and just overall doesn't bring any kind of truly special interpretation or movements to the performances. Her edges are good but not better than any of the other top ladies.

Mirai Nagasu deserved to place 6th overall. What really killed her was how unfair underrotation calls were back then. Her Long Program performance wasn't good, but it wasn't exactly disastrous when compared to Lepisto leaving out so much content. Nagasu's brilliant Short Program deserved to keep her ahead overall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2R_HqZnz4.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am not into the scores, too late, too tired, but I agree CP did a much better free than Laura So did Kostner, and I watched some of Miki. But CP lost it in the short Iguess? as did Caro? That was a very good LP from Cindy. Not sure about the judging. Laura is lovely, gets beauty points, very nice presentation but next to nothing in that program. Maybe they wanted to give bronze to the European. Mao won her gold. Yuna was held up by two arms and bronze goes to...The region or host country. I used to think bronze was for the host country. I'll bet a lot of bronze medals were given this way, not earned.

Sigh 2010 Mirai, blows up the place in her SP. So strange she was not nervous in the Olympics. Miki was program and costume challenged that year. Her world skate seemed like some was left out. I think they didn't care at all for her program/costume-nor how she skated it.

But not having SP-hard to say. I think you can make a case for Cynthia having strongest free skate. Could not find her SP, read she didn't do well.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Cynthia's SP had a hand down on the 3Lutz-2Toe combination and a slightly wobbly landing on the 2Axel. It was a pretty good performance. Lepisto did an excellent 3Toe-3Toe and a strong 3Loop but then all but fell on her 2Axel. The performance had more excitement to it because of how well it was going until the 2Axel mistake, but it wasn't wildly better than Phaneuf's performance and the non-jump elements weren't stronger either. I would have put Lepsito 6th in the SP and Cynthia 9th. Whereas in the LP I'd have Cynthia 3rd and Lepisto 7th, with a far greater margin in points between the two than in the SP (meaning Cynthia easily pulls way ahead of Lepisto).

russell30

Final Flight
This thread was about Laura's status, NOT a recap on who should have got what at World's 2010.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not to cause problems but I guess Laura's status to some is she should not have got the bronze in 2010 (sorry to mess things up). LOL Right place or not, I agree with BOP about what the results should have been. She seems like a nice person but I think she should be thrilled with her bronze and count her blessings. A lot might depend on how many spots the Finss have next year.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think laura was gifted by the skate Gods in 2010, as *they* knew what was coming re her injury. She has been out for two seasons. I suspect she won't be back.