Shooting costumes again | Golden Skate

Shooting costumes again

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There I was tonight, watching Four Conts ladies long on icenetwork, taking embarrassing screen shots of my friends and I, and it suddenly hit me that the costumes, especially in the close-ups of the American ladies, looked much better on icenetwork than they did in the pics I took live with my 12 meg camera. Can anyone explain this phenomena, besides the fact that I can't shoot straight? Is it the effect of video?
(Jennifer Wester doesn't just target shoot, by the way, she held 20 national and state records at once, setting 17 of those in one day at a match in Pennsylvania where she was a fill in. The only reason she didnt get the title of state champ was she wasnt from Pennsylvania...she was skating in Delaware at the time. She can take a high powered rifle and knock over a steel silhouette of a pig at 500 meters, no problem. The only reason she took up skating was to improve her balance as her form of silhouette shooting is done all offhand (standing up). Mine is done sitting , shooting off of cross sticks, cause I am an old man.:laugh: Daniil is soooooo lucky:biggrin:.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
correct exposure, bumping up the color saturation both help, as does the proper white balance.

Last edited:
Jennifer Wester sounds phenomenal! Though guns aren't my thing, I admire anyone with a special talent, and she's obviously got one--two, since she also skates. Isn't marksmanship one of the few sports where men and women compete together internationally? I looked Jennifer up on Wiki, and I wonder whether she could ever qualify for any Olympic-level marksmanship sport. It would make her a contender for a summer medal as well as a winter one. Two women got medals for speed skating in winter and cycling in summer--that's a famous cross-training combination. Eddie Eagan won in the 1920 Summer Games for boxing and the 1932 Winter Games for bobsledding. One guy won for sailing in summer and ski jumping in winter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympians_who_won_medals_in_the_Summer_and_Winter_Games

Sheila Young won gold in speed skating in the 1976 Winter Games and then won a world championship in cycling, but in those days, there were no women's cycling events in the Olympics. Nonetheless, she was, according to Wiki, the first athlete to win world championships in two different sports in the same year.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In her shooting disipline, I think the men and women shoot the same classes, and compete equally, but I will ask to be sure. In mine, where we shoot metal cutouts of animals out to 1,000 yards, men and women and children compete equally, and there are many fine women shooters. You are correct that if she took up Olympic target shooting, she could indeed have competed in summer and winter Olympics. I think folks that did two
sports very well were more common back in the last century than they are now....now I cant imagine someone doing pairs and ladies at the same time.....

Jennifer Wester sounds phenomenal! Though guns aren't my thing, I admire anyone with a special talent, and she's obviously got one--two, since she also skates. Isn't marksmanship one of the few sports where men and women compete together internationally? I looked Jennifer up on Wiki, and I wonder whether she could ever qualify for any Olympic-level marksmanship sport. It would make her a contender for a summer medal as well as a winter one. Two women got medals for speed skating in winter and cycling in summer--that's a famous cross-training combination. Eddie Eagan won in the 1920 Summer Games for boxing and the 1932 Winter Games for bobsledding. One guy won for sailing in summer and ski jumping in winter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympians_who_won_medals_in_the_Summer_and_Winter_Games

Sheila Young won gold in speed skating in the 1976 Winter Games and then won a world championship in cycling, but in those days, there were no women's cycling events in the Olympics. Nonetheless, she was, according to Wiki, the first athlete to win world championships in two different sports in the same year.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
correct exposure, bumping up the color saturation both help, as does the proper white balance.
Well, certainly all those things help in shooting. But even looking at the shots of world famous skating photog David Carmichael, there is something
lacking in the camera's ability to bring out the 3D effect of video....

Thanks for the info on marksmanship events, Chris. I have a vague memory of reading about a pair of competitors, man and woman, in I think 1984, who ended up with a tie score, and then there was some judging rule that said they couldn't tie, so the guy was awarded the gold medal. Very touchingly, during the medal ceremony, he made the woman come up to the top step of the podium and stand with him, because he felt that they had both qualified equally for the win. That's what made me realize that this sport is coed. The other sport where men and women compete together that I can think of is Equestrian, all versions including the strenuous and rough three-day eventing (Princess Anne's sport). I'm not sure about archery, though. Would the pull of a power bow be something that men and women couldn't execute equally?

About equestrian sports, I wanted to write a story set after WWII where people competed in riding at the Olympics, and I read to my amazement that not only were national equestrian teams all-male, but until I think 1952, they had to be cavalry officers! I still think I must have misread that, but I've gone back several times, and that's what it says.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, certainly all those things help in shooting. But even looking at the shots of world famous skating photog David Carmichael, there is something
lacking in the camera's ability to bring out the 3D effect of video....

they also shoot in high definition... there's a process you can do in camera editing but it doesn't work with sports.

And I have no idea who David Carmichael is. My favorite sports photographer is Jeff Schultz (actually he's one of my favorites for all types of photography) and the magic comes from shooting correctly in the camera...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here is a cute story about Jennifer....she was born in 1985, I think. But in about 1991 she was shooting at the National championships in sub-junior catagory...here is what one shooter said about her....
"There are a few of us who remember the pretty little blond girl as a sub junior on the firing line, her proud dad David spotting for her...I think first at Raton, '91 natls...and watching her blossom into a beautiful, personable, accomplished shooter over the decade of the '90s at numerous state and natl matches. David Wester treated a number of us JennFans to her skating video he brought to the '03 Texas state match at HC. Though we'd like to see her return to silhouette shooting, we none the less wish her the best as she continues to excel in international skating. (2005)"

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
they also shoot in high definition... there's a process you can do in camera editing but it doesn't work with sports.

And I have no idea who David Carmichael is. My favorite sports photographer is Jeff Schultz (actually he's one of my favorites for all types of photography) and the magic comes from shooting correctly in the camera...

David Carmichael is a famous international skating photog. He has some great shots on his website.
http://davecskatingphoto.com/

He is also a very nice guy. He came around the rink before Ice dance practice one day at 4 conts and told us none of the michigan contingent had showed up yet and indeed were holed up somewhere and wouldnt show up for awhile.
We left and made good use of the time at the two margaretta dinners!

Last edited:
Now there's a way to increase the skating fan base that I never thought of! Have a marksman (markswoman? marks-kid?) switch sports and bring shooting fans along with her. That's a delightful story, Chris, and it makes me want to pay attention to this talented athlete.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
About equestrian sports, I wanted to write a story set after WWII where people competed in riding at the Olympics, and I read to my amazement that not only were national equestrian teams all-male, but until I think 1952, they had to be cavalry officers! I still think I must have misread that, but I've gone back several times, and that's what it says.
I am not suprised.....around WWI or II, many pistol shooters were army men. IIRC, One lost his shooting hand in war after winning an OGM and then won another one shooting with his off hand.

In 2010, a woman won the mother of all shooting competitions.
SGT Sherri Gallagher, winner of the 2010 NRA High Power Rifle Championship at Camp Perry, was recently named the U.S. Army's Soldier of the Year. The first female to win the award, the Soldier of the Year competition is an intense twelve month event evaluating simulated battle operations, urban orienteering, first aid, marksmanship, and other basic soldiering skills. The competition concludes with the top 24 soldiers vying for the title in Washington, D.C.

Last week, Sherri appeared on the Fox News show Fox and Friends to discuss her accomplishment as well as her history in the competitive shooting world. A shooter since she could hold a gun, Sherri's older sister, mother and step-father are all national champion shooters. Now a member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, Sherri is getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan where she will put her skills to use training the Afghanistan National Army in marksmanship. The video of her is interesting.....
http://www.nrablog.com/post/2011/01/10/Camp-Perry-champion-Sherri-Gallagher-on-Fox-and-Friends.aspx

Sherri Gallagher sounds like a splendid athlete and a splendid soldier.

I love Olympic history! It's the only sport(s) besides skating that I really enjoy. The marksman who won gold with either hand was I think Karoly Takacs of Hungary. He was injured in a training accident and rebuilt his competitive career. One of the most famous military Olympians was George Patton, who competed in the modern pentathlon in 1912 in the Stockholm Games.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sherri Gallagher sounds like a splendid athlete and a splendid soldier.

I love Olympic history! It's the only sport(s) besides skating that I really enjoy. The marksman who won gold with either hand was I think Karoly Takacs of Hungary. He was injured in a training accident and rebuilt his competitive career. One of the most famous military Olympians was George Patton, who competed in the modern pentathlon in 1912 in the Stockholm Games.

Thats right...boy, you are sharp!
Here are some of my "skatin' costumes!:rofl:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/shooting/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maybe we could add biathlon2 to the winter games. Jen Wester wins, skating to Cotton Eyed Joe, interspersed with shooting at silhouettes of judges every 30 seconds.

Bet we could get a crowd for that one, and Tshirt sales would be amazing.