Junior Ladies - Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies - Short Program

alexeifan

On the Ice
I thought Julia was amazing, I see her for Sochi gold, Gracie was very tenative, still has a lot to work on, Adelina was very sloppy, she must have not been working as hard on her spins, she was so much better last year.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Gracie Gold's music.
Sorry but I just don't see the appeal to Sotnikova's skating.
Perhaps that's a bit harsh considering her age however I do think she's a bit overrated on this board.

Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvXYJVTePQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3XPHBTzw2A

I never really got it until I watched her exhibitions either. I feel like without them I would appreciate her but not love her.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I just saw Adelina's spin, that cost her a lot, got level 1 ? , her jumps were big
but what happened to her spinning position , that position looked awkward and she went slow

Actually, I felt Julia L's layback spin positions were fugly. She has good extension and gracefulness, but her skating does not really excite me, nor inspire much emotion. She looks good, but there is something missing for me, whether it is a lack of maturity or a studied almost overdone approach to musical interpretation -- I'm not sure.

I agree with macy's #126 post, re assessment of Julia's music, choreo, and costume.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Okay I watched Gracie again and I actually found myself liking her short and seeing improvement. Hopefully this will translate to the long program.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Despite Vanessa Lam's fall, I think she has better line, positions, and presentation than many of the skaters in front of her.

Nadine

Record Breaker
here's the ladies short program press conference, sorry if it's been posted already. they're all beautiful girls! julia is stunning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VJ3OTa3iM&feature=g-all&context=G2ddd5e2FAAAAAAAACAA

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

Lol I didn't even recognize Gracie Gold with her hair down (first time seeing it like this) and she is simply S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G in an all American glamour girl way. :) Seriously, she should get a LOT of endorsements & sponsors leading up to Sochi. In fact I think they should do it right now before they let her get away. And to add to that, her poise & composure & speech are amazing. The other two seemed like little kids in comparison to this woman. :D

And what more can I say about Adelina Sotnikova...she's exquisite...a timeless face for the ages. :cool: Add to that her adorable charm (reminiscent of Lilia Podkopayeva) and a touch of teenage awkwardness & insecurity, it goes straight to the heart. :love:

As for Julia Lipinkskaya, she reminds me of an adorable little ferret. http://animalstown.com/animals/f/ferret/wallpapers/ferret-wallpaper-02.html :)^D

Can't wait for the FS!!!!! :party:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie is classic American glamour girl. give her a stunning gown for a red carpet and she would fit in as a movie star
Adelina has grown so much, her face has become womanly and has become more beautiful and her humbleness I admire
Julia is beautiful, and looks very happy and is taking her performance here with delight

lovely Top 3 girls indeed :)

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Julia did indeed fiutz. And I too don't get it, if they call Gao's a flutz, Julia's is just as flutzy.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
she does flutz sometimes but its not that visible because she has a good technique on her lutz
than compared to say Adelina's flutz

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well Jr. Worlds is in Minsk, Belarus after all. ;)

No biggie, the cream always rises to the top, it will sort itself out after all is said & done. Gracie just has to be better than the rest, not just as good as, but better WAY BETTER (now's her time to shine). It kinda reminds me of Zhenya at the 2010 Olympics in terms of location, it wasn't on his side, bad luck of the draw. :( Here's hoping Gracie has better luck in the FS! :thumbsup:

Btw, I noticed in that conference link one of the reporters asked them all about the 3Axel jump. Gracie said it was still a new & scary jump for her, and she had only tried it out in a harness, but "yes" she has worked on it in practice, whereas Adelina said she only tried it after last years Jr. Worlds and it didn't go so good. Julia said nothing or else the translator didn't translate. :D So what does this tell me? It tells me another one of my all-time faves, Mao Asada, has nothing to worry about. She's still the only woman in the world that can do the 3A in competition when she's on, which is about 70% of the time. :cool: But that said, the only other woman I think can challenge her out-of-the-blue when it comes to the 3A is Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. We shall see...

Back to Jr. Worlds, GOOD LUCK TO ALL! :thumbsup:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
But that said, the only other woman I think can challenge her out-of-the-blue when it comes to the 3A is Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. We shall see...

one of the reasons Mishin pulled Elizaveta out was to prepare her for the net season including working on her 3A
and Tukt is now busy practicing her 3A so she can use it in the competition

Nadine

Record Breaker
I know, and if anbody and I do mean *anybody* in the world wants to learn how to do a correct 3A, Mishin's the man. :cool:

That said, as has been said ad infinitum in the past, practice is practice is practice, it's a whole other ballgame to birng it out during competition with the music, the program, the timing, the transitions, the spins, the other jumps, the moves, et al.

It's not as easy as it may look, that's why there's only one woman in the world today & yesterday & yesterday before that that has ever done the 3A in competition this century, and that's Mao. :rock: And only Mao. :bow:

BRING IT ON!!!! :thumbsup:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that is true, landing it in the competition is a different ballgame
even in Garcie's interview she said practicing a 3A in harness is still scary and she doesn't really practice it often.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Btw, I noticed in that conference link one of the reporters asked them all about the 3Axel jump. Gracie said it was still a new & scary jump for her, and she had only tried it out in a harness, but "yes" she has worked on it in practice, whereas Adelina said she only tried it after last years Jr. Worlds and it didn't go so good. Julia said nothing or else the translator didn't translate. :D
Adelina said she landed 3A in practices, it was underrotated, but landed. Julia said she has never tried one and if she's ever gonna try something like that it would be 4T more likely than 3A.

Well done by top 3! I really enjoyed Julia, she is so polished, confident and has tons of "it". A clear winner of the SP! Everything was clean and effortless.
Adelina's program is full of transitions and difficult entrances to the elements, she just didn't perform it the way she did at Nationals, but I'm okay with her scores, if she skates LP better she will get higher PCS I think.
Gracie is strong technically, has good basics and speed, but she needs better package. It was the worst version of the Nutcracker I've ever heard, her program is rather empty and I didn't like her posture. She can do very well in seniors because the basics are there, but her presentation needs work

shine

Record Breaker
Gracie is strong technically, has good basics and speed, but she needs better package. It was the worst version of the Nutcracker I've ever heard, her program is rather empty and I didn't like her posture. She can do very well in seniors because the basics are there, but her presentation needs work
Her program is really no emptier than the skater that placed ahead of her.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Wow, what a performance by Isadora Williams, an American who skates for Brazil. After finishing 41st in last year's Junior Worlds, and barely making it out of this year's qualifying round, she's in 14th place! The long program should be interesting for her; she's one of the few girls who gets an edge call on her flip but not on her lutz.