Junior Ladies: Long Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies: Long Program

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As impressive as Julia is she's still a little girl compared to many of these other ladies. She's still tiny so you have wonder how will she fare with the puberty monster. Gracie is mostly done growing and Adelina has had problems this year adjusting to her new body. We've seen many dynamite 13-14 year old skaters who didn't survive and Julia has a lot to overcome in the next few years so i wouldn't proclaim her the next Olympic champion.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Her layout worked fine for her this year, obviously, since she won every competition internationally. But the system needs to reward difficult combinations.
Repetition of the same jump combination should not be encouraged--an issue needs to be addressed in the rule, I think.

christinaskater

Medalist
Congratulations to Julia! 2012 World Junior Champion! I guess they are crowning her as Sochi champion as early as now.
She outscores Adelina, Elizaveta and the 2 Polina's!
She really is special. The flutz edge call should be given though.

Hopefully Gracie can take the Yu-Na route and for the next year, she would dominate and the momentum would be for her next year.

The GP season and worlds for next year is going to be amazing.

I am so proud of GRACIE GOLD's SILVER MEDAL- in her first major ISU competition. Brilliant! This girl flies on the ice and she has improved leaps and bounds in her skating! Congrats to her for scoring a new personal best in Junior Worlds! This is a good thing since there is less pressure on her shoulders. She needs to up the ante in her artistry and work on that loop-add a combo of 2 double jumps in case it does not work. She is really the most gorgeous girl on the ice!

I am really proud of Adelina as well. It's really hard to defend your world title but she has done really well to handle the pressure. The Olympic line up for the Russian ladies is looking more and more interesting.

I love Satoko! She is a dynamite and so is Ziujun!

christinaskater

Medalist
It's too early to crown her as Olympic champion but she is the frontrunner as early as now, considering that she is still junior.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL.
It's interesting to recall that Caroline Zhang dominated juniors this same way in 2006-07. I really hope Julia's physical maturing is not as difficult as Caroline's.
Rachael Flatt won Junior Worlds, too. We'll see how Julia and the others do when they get to the "big show."

skatinginbc

Medalist
This is Adelina's Lutz record: Five out of the seven Lutzes she attempted this season received an edge call. One of the Lutzes that did not have an edge call was a 1Lz, and the other was in her Junior World SP, where many thought the judges should have given her an edge call. As apparent as her problem with Lutz was, she could rack up huge points (e.g., 11.30 points in the LP even with an edge call > base value 11.10 points). Strange system, isn't it?

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Congrats to Julia! What an amazing season she's had. No major errors in ANY competition? That's crazy good. No matter how she might develop further her season and her win here are amazing accomplisment.

Kudos to Gracie on her silver medal. Impressive to do so with such little intentional experience!

As for Adelina, I don't think that she'll learn to compete any better by not competing. She had her best LP of the season here. She's had setbacks before and I fully believe she'll come back stronger than before. Despite her growth and injuries this year, her big tricks are still there, AND she added a 3T+3t.

Irishflip

On the Ice
I hope Adelina takes a good rest and come back strong with her confidence next season
because she is capable of SO MUCH more, Adelina will always be my sentimental favorite, I get depressed when her skates are not that good :disapp:

I know it wasn't her best skate but landing both the 3Lz-3R, the 2A-3T and getting straight +2s across the board for the 3F is far from a nerve destroying performance. She'll always be special to me no matter what anyway as she is exactly the same age as me (born the same day, same year):biggrin:

Nadine

Record Breaker
That's really interesting, Irishflip. :)

Seriously, I know of only one person that was born on the same day & same year as me (i.e. my late father's best friend's daughter). I recall how in awe her mother was when she found out because we were the best of friends, both social workers, and she said "ahh, that's why, that's why". :love:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I know it wasn't her best skate but landing both the 3Lz-3R, the 2A-3T and getting straight +2s across the board for the 3F is far from a nerve destroying performance. She'll always be special to me no matter what anyway as she is exactly the same age as me (born the same day, same year):biggrin:

thats so nice of you
and welcome to goldenskate :thumbsup:

oleada

Record Breaker
I havent seen the skate, but I can't believe her jumps get better GOE than Gracie's.

Maybe we should watch before making judgements ;) Per the protocols, it seems like Gracie doubled one jump and struggled on the landing of another, and Julia did not. Besides, it's not all about the jumps. Julia is a much better spinner.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Kostner isn't doing too bad and she has struggled with confidence. Adelina is young, she will be fine. Juniors is juniors, it's all about seniors. I am sorry but Julia is overscored. I havent seen the skate, but I can't believe her jumps get better GOE than Gracie's.

I'm sure they were or she would not get such high goe. As you can see, Gold did make mistakes in the long. And in the short, Julia's jumps were better than Gold's who landed poorly. It is quite possible.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The Belorussian channel is showing girls now. Links are in the thread "Junior Worlds online/video" (post #5) in this subforum.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thrilled for Gracie! Not surprised Julia ran away with the title, she is a phenom. Happy Adelina was able to medal even if she wasn't her best. Kudos to Shelepen for pulling up so much but once again she does not medal. Worlds status is probably borderline at this point.

Wish Gao and Lam had better showings though, they are both capable of much better. Particularly bummed about Lam not making top 10 and Christina not breaking 100 for the FS.

What in the World happened to Risa Shoji??? I know she was struggling a little this season, but she scored 102+ for her FS at the JGP in Estonia and 104+ for her FS at Japanese Nationals, and now she scores a 69? Either the puberty monster has arrived and giving her a very hard time, or she's injured/had a completely random meltdown out of the blue. Completely shocked to see her finish so low.

Funny how the OES's seem to fair better at senior versus junior internationals. Monika S and Juulia T both scored significantly better at Euros, and Juulia even won the senior ladies field at Nordics and scored quite well Worlds last season (again after struggling at JW). Interesting.

Overall it appears to have been a well skated event. Happy for the medalists.

bekalc

Record Breaker
it's my opinion and no i don't have to get over it. at 13 Sasha had better presentation skills too. you're allowed your opinion and i will have mine :p

Yes Sasha may very well had better presentation and a better layback. But there is PLENTY of things that Julia does better than Sasha did at 13. 1. She has better skating skills. 2. Way better jumps 3. Competitive. Plus Julia has this way about her that commands attention. Star Quality.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes Sasha may very well had better presentation and a better layback. But there is PLENTY of things that Julia does better than Sasha did at 13. 1. She has better skating skills. 2. Way better jumps 3. Competitive. Plus Julia has this way about her that commands attention. Star Quality.

That's an opinion though. Everybody has their own preference in skaters.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Polina Shelepen had the same experience with Polina K. at the Euros.
bombed the sp and pulled up with a clean LP, will these be the same scenarios for senior Worlds ? lol

I think Shelepen had a decent junior worlds, she has the 3rd highest TES in the LP but does get get low PCS
still I she is a better bet than Makarova for senior worlds.