Junior Ladies: Long Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies: Long Program

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So? This whole forum contains our opinions. Everyone has a different view. What is not opinion is as bekalc noted- better jumps. Plus she is more consistent.

Exactly. I'm not knocking down your opinion at all. Everybody sees things differently. You are allowed to have your opinion just as I'm allowed to have mine.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina Shelepen had the same experience with Polina K. at the Euros.
bombed the sp and pulled up with a clean LP, will these be the same scenarios for senior Worlds ? lol

I think Shelepen had a decent junior worlds, she has the 3rd highest TES in the LP but does get get low PCS
still I she is a better bet than Makarova for senior worlds.

If both Polina K and Polina S (providing she goes) bomb the short, what are the chances of one of them or both not making it out of the sp? That would be a disaster. I think that would be my concern if I was the Russian Fed. On the other hand, Makarova long program is terrible, do they really want to subject the world to that program again? lol

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here again, silly exuberance with anything related to 'R'. Yeah, I guess Sasha didn't have star quality?

Hey let everybody have their opinion. But I agree with you, just b/c someone thinks that someone has star quality doesn't mean the whole world does. I think Julia is fine at 13. I just prefer to watch skaters once puberty hits.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes Sasha may very well had better presentation and a better layback. But there is PLENTY of things that Julia does better than Sasha did at 13. 1. She has better skating skills. 2. Way better jumps 3. Competitive. Plus Julia has this way about her that commands attention. Star Quality.

We must be watching different programs. I think Sasha definitely had star quality when she was young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ6xEyAyiXM <----junior nationals program 1999

So? This whole forum contains our opinions. Everyone has a different view. What is not opinion is as bekalc noted- better jumps. Plus she is more consistent.
Nobody was arguing that Sasha had better jumps or consistency than Julia. The point was that she had more artistry even at an early age. And yes, star quality.

BUT - I just watched Julia's FS and it's the best I've seen from her by a long shot. She finishes everything off with such beautiful arm and hand movements. Hopefully soon she'll point her toes in the layback! Anybody want to bet she'll be doing Swan Lake next year?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Here again, silly exuberance with anything related to 'R'. Yeah, I guess Sasha didn't have star quality?

I never said Sasha didn't have star quality. Although my posting was a little vague. I was mainly arguing that while Sasha may have been better presentation wise than Julia, but that Julia was much better technically than Sasha was at 13. And that while maybe not as good as Sasha presentation wise her presentation is extremely good and she has this huge charisma when on the ice. I think Julia is closer to Sasha presentation wise at 13, than Sasha was closer to Julia at the technical stuff. Not to mention Julia's ability to deliver when it counts-something Sasha NEVER had.

Who knows if Julia will survive puberty but if she does....The others should be shaking in their boots. That girl seems to have a very Witt like competitive ability about her.

In the end Sasha was a gorgeous skater but skating isn't just about lines/positions. Its also about skating skills, jumps etc. Julia's lines are very very good.

Skaters need to be well rounded especially at a young age. Julia is very well rounded, and I have no doubt her presentation will continue to improve-she's a beautiful skater.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
just saw Adelina's LP
her first half was good but at the middle part she started wobbling on her jumps, had trouble with her spins ( it looked labored) and a fall

DianaSelene

Medalist
Nobody was arguing that Sasha had better jumps or consistency than Julia. The point was that she had more artistry even at an early age. And yes, star quality.

BUT - I just watched Julia's FS and it's the best I've seen from her by a long shot. She finishes everything off with such beautiful arm and hand movements. Hopefully soon she'll point her toes in the layback! Anybody want to bet she'll be doing Swan Lake next year?

I didn't say we were arguing that. It's just that I was explaining to DobrinFan that most of the things we say on this forum is opinion. However, there are some things that are not such as jumps and consistency.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I just watched the medal ceremony on the Belarus channel. I was just wondering about Gold - Has she ever seen an ISU medal ceremony before? Like the Olympics or worlds? I thought it was common for a skater to congratulate one another (even if it is just shaking the hand, you don't have to hug). However, she didn't even look in Lipnitskaya's direction. Maybe I'm thinking this over too much and she was nervous or forgot. But it was kind of disrespectful.

Irishflip

On the Ice
just saw Adelina's LP
her first half was good but at the middle part she started wobbling on her jumps, had trouble with her spins ( it looked labored) and a fall

Just watched it too seems to me like she loses focus for one element, falls/almost falls then rushes her timing on the other elements and it gets messy the twizzles being a prime example considering she has plenty of stamina its sad but next year she'll be ready and most likely she'll come back like Mao did after last year. Also a medalling in every event this year is pretty good in my opinion :bow:

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I just watched the medal ceremony on the Belarus channel. I was just wondering about Gold - Has she ever seen an ISU medal ceremony before? Like the Olympics or worlds? I thought it was common for a skater to congratulate one another (even if it is just shaking the hand, you don't have to hug). However, she didn't even look in Lipnitskaya's direction. Maybe I'm thinking this over too much and she was nervous or forgot. But it was kind of disrespectful.

It was probably just nerves, considering her lack of international competition experience. Gracie doesn't seem like the diva type - quite the opposite, actually. I'm sure she didn't mean any disrespect.

Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone respond to the q of what happened to Risa Shoji? Her score was appalling and I didn't think her skate was that bad. She fell going into one of her triples (not on the actual jump) once and singled all the second and third jumps in her combinations. I've seen worse meltdowns that scored better.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone respond to the q of what happened to Risa Shoji? Her score was appalling and I didn't think her skate was that bad. She fell going into one of her triples (not on the actual jump) once and singled all the second and third jumps in her combinations. I've seen worse meltdowns that scored better.

Maybe she underrotated quite a lot? She's done that before.

jaylee

Medalist

That's exactly what killed her score: Popping all those 2nd and 3rd jumps (one of those single toeloops was actually supposed to be a triple toeloop), doubling a 3S attempt, and then falling on another salchow attempt without getting a single rotation. The only thing more costly than a singled jump, or a fall on a popped jump, is a fall on the jump attempt without getting any rotation at all. 0 points in base value and then a 1 point deduction.

Yes... but then her PCS all tanking? IDK, it seemed a bit like overkill.

DianaSelene, you're right, she got an UR call on her 3T as well, I hadn't noticed that. So she only had 2 triples, an S and a T.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't say we were arguing that. It's just that I was explaining to DobrinFan that most of the things we say on this forum is opinion. However, there are some things that are not such as jumps and consistency.

I didn't bring up jumps or consistency so I didn't need it to be explained to me. Go back and re-read my posts.

Irishflip

On the Ice
That's really interesting, Irishflip. :)

Seriously, I know of only one person that was born on the same day & same year as me (i.e. my late father's best friend's daughter). I recall how in awe her mother was when she found out because we were the best of friends, both social workers, and she said "ahh, that's why, that's why". :love:

I think its always really cool to find someone so similar to yourself the fact that i love her skating is icing on the cake:love: