Moves you miss seeing since CoP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Moves you miss seeing since CoP

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Dragonlady has a point though. Spins were horrendous under 6.0. Skaters twirled around two times and called it a day. People also say that footwork was much faster, but it's much easier to be fast when you're only doing two footwork elements. It's a bad sign when spins and footwork are known as "breather" or "rest" elements.

?????
ERM, there were many far better spinners with more atractive spins under 6.0 Switzerland alone brought us ''Lucinda Ruh and Lambiel. My gosh, spinning was very seriously trained. Nearly all elite skaters had good well centered scratch spins. The lists must be long going back further, you'll find moree beautiful spinners before triple jumps became de rigeuer. Denise Bielmann was fast. Todd Eldredge was the best spinner of his time. Pick a male or female skater pre-cop and you will find classic fast blurred spins.

Sasha was a 6.0 skater and one of the few who really accelerated her spins. She was a better spinnner than any youg mostly C0P lady today. MK was not fast, but she spun inboth directions which is very hard to do.

Dorothy, Sumners did great scratch spins...anyone think off top of head who were the great spinners of the sport since ''Sonia? Henie had wonderful spins! How about the men? Historically, gmeyers, Doris, MM...I know you know who was best and where they hail from? Thanks GS folks!

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Remember Jill Trenary's one-foot axel into triple sal?

I LOVED this, glad you mentioned it, brings back wonderful memories of her fabulous program "Boots Are Made For Walking" (my late father's favorite song; he always wore cowboy boots). :cool:

IIRC Jill skated this one year at "Ice Wars" or one of those pro-ams, dressed up as a 1960's go-go girl, complete with sparkly green dress, beehive hairdo, and white boots, classic. :thumbsup: And her 1ft. axel into 3S came out of nowhere, fit the music perfectly. Ahhh, memories. :love:

The aforementioned reminded me of the year that Sasha Cohen did a 3T/.5R/3S, unusual & super cool. :cool:

So many unusual combos. & sequences out there, one just has to have the guts and the creativity to put it on ice. :)

ps: regards spinners being horrendous under 6.0, that's just a lie, plain & simple. When I read posts like that I don't take them seriously. Either a.) the poster is ignorant or b.) has an ulterious motive like "neener neener COP is God, 6.0 horrible, therefore my COP skater is the bestmostfantasticsuperduperskaterinallofmankind. :)^D

mskater93

Record Breaker
Disagree on spins being horendous under 6.0. Yes, some skaters barely paid any mind to them other than what they had to do to check the box, but there were some lovely, lovely spins (and spinners) under 6.0. Beyond Ruh's and Lambiel's amazing spins, no one can touch Angela Nikodinov's classic layback for position, centering, pure speed, and beauty; the height (and his ability to "suspend" at the top of the fly) and beauty of Brian Boitano's death drop, Ito's speed and centering in her spins, and so on...