Junior Men-Long Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Junior Men-Long Program

shine

Record Breaker
And I really hope Song can perform like he did at his GPs at Worlds and make the top 10 because I'd love to see him and Han Yan both go to Worlds next year. All of a sudden China is looking to be a force in singles between Yan, Song, and Li!
And there's also He Zhang who finished 6th here who also just turned 15 at the end of last year. He beat several skaters with much harder jump content than him based on the strength of his program components. If he gets a 3A in the near future, he'll be one to watch out for, too.

yousunny

Rinkside
It's obviously possible to speculate about every subject under the Sun. However, the whole point of going into a forum like this is to discuss, debate, analyse, and assess the 'what if's'. What would be the point of debate forum like this, without that? The fact that Brown does not have a triple axel is highly relevant in terms of why he lost this competition, and acquiring one is key to his future development.
Maybe Brown should try to get a quad toe first, because he is strong in triple toe jumps. For some skaters such as Patrick Chan, quad toe is easier than triple axel.

Art&Sport

Medalist
If you have a subscription to IceNetwork, they have posted vids for the final group of six skaters in fp: Jr. Worlds NOT!

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Could please you post the link? I only see the videos for JGPF.

Aargh, you are right! Joke's on me b/c of course I was looking for Jr. Worlds and see that link and I'm fooled. They also have a Jr. Worlds event page with no video links, just articles. Not sure why they didn't offer Junior Worlds for the subscription prices they charge.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone please get Jason Brown to a jump coach who can teach him the 3A. That's the only thing keeping him from being among the top 5 US men Seniors included. He already has more skills then someone like Miner for instance. Someone this talented might need to go to a more established coach now to take him to next level.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Thanks for posting the links to what's up on youtube. Wonder why it takes so long to post medalists like Han Yan and Jason Brown? The youtube user is already posting free programs for the Junior Worlds ladies, so I suppose Yan and Brown are not this user's favorites. Anyway I'm glad there are some links available. Does anyone know why Junior Worlds was not made available for universalsports or icenetwork, or at the least on the Junior FS youtube channel, like for the JGPF?

Art&Sport

Medalist
Someone please get Jason Brown to a jump coach who can teach him the 3A. That's the only thing keeping him from being among the top 5 US men Seniors included. He already has more skills then someone like Miner for instance. Someone this talented might need to go to a more established coach now to take him to next level.

I hear your frustration, but I don't think it is as simple as that. In the first place, I think Jason has a wonderful bond with his coach Kori Ade, and I don't think he would consider going with someone else, at least not now (and maybe not ever). In the past, Brian Boitano stayed with his long time coach, Linda Leaver, but their relationship allowed for him to receive additional coaching to improve aspects of his skating (in addition to help with choreo) without the necessity for him to switch coaches altogether. Today's climate, I think seems to put more pressure on skaters to make quick coaching changes, which I don't think is always to their benefit. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it might be necessary to stick with the coach you have. As long as Jason and Kori have such a strong bond and relationship, surely he can seek additional coaching help for jumps without leaving Ade for someone else.

Just b/c Jason does not yet have a 3-axel is not a disaster. He is 17-years-old, and I think although it might be tempting, it is still presumptuous to want him to win everything now and to say "Darn it! If only he had the 3-axel." IMHO, Jason is such a complete skater with beautiful presence on the ice, all the basic elements, all the basic jumps (quads and 3-axel are not basic jumps -- they are advanced jumps), wonderful consistency, and superb musical interpretation, a unique style and unbeatable charisma. With what he has right now (and especially with his consistency and above average choreo to great music), Jason is actually better overall than everyone he skated against already -- So what 3-axel? So what quad? None of those jumps IMO trump what Jason puts out there right now. It is just that Han and Joshua have a level of polish, finesse, speed and dynamic appeal to go along with their 3-axels (and quad for Han), and so ISU judges feel that is enough to put them ahead of Jason, which sends the message to Jason that the judges expect him to at least put a 3-axel in his arsenal. But I don't think that means he has to put so much pressure on himself to perfect a 3-axel immediately, right now, yesterday, or to have him say to himself, "Wow, I could have won with a 3-axel." Actually, there are no givens in this sport.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hear your frustration, but I don't think it is as simple as that. In the first place, I think Jason has a wonderful bond with his coach Kori Ade, and I don't think he would consider going with someone else, at least not now (and maybe not ever). In the past, Brian Boitano stayed with his long time coach, Linda Leaver, but their relationship allowed for him to receive additional coaching to improve aspects of his skating (in addition to help with choreo) without the necessity for him to switch coaches altogether. Today's climate, I think seems to put more pressure on skaters to make quick coaching changes, which I don't think is always to their benefit. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it might be necessary to stick with the coach you have. As long as Jason and Kori have such a strong bond and relationship, surely he can seek additional coaching help for jumps without leaving Ade for someone else.

Just b/c Jason does not yet have a 3-axel is not a disaster. He is 17-years-old, and I think although it might be tempting, it is still presumptuous to want him to win everything now and to say "Darn it! If only he had the 3-axel." IMHO, Jason is such a complete skater with beautiful presence on the ice, all the basic elements, all the basic jumps (quads and 3-axel are not basic jumps -- they are advanced jumps), wonderful consistency, and superb musical interpretation, a unique style and unbeatable charisma. With what he has right now (and especially with his consistency and above average choreo to great music), Jason is actually better overall than everyone he skated against already -- So what 3-axel? So what quad? None of those jumps IMO trump what Jason puts out there right now. It is just that Han and Joshua have a level of polish, finesse, speed and dynamic appeal to go along with their 3-axels (and quad for Han), and so ISU judges feel that is enough to put them ahead of Jason, which sends the message to Jason that the judges expect him to at least put a 3-axel in his arsenal. But I don't think that means he has to put so much pressure on himself to perfect a 3-axel immediately, right now, yesterday, or to have him say to himself, "Wow, I could have won with a 3-axel." Actually, there are no givens in this sport.

Bravo! :clap::clap: ITA with you. :rock:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So the only medalist I get to watch is Joshua Farris and I really like what I see. In fact, I like it better than what Rippon and Brown have shown me. He seems to be all round and able to bring it at the big event. Hopefully he will be just as cool for the Seniors'. :thumbsup:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So the only medalist I get to watch is Joshua Farris and I really like what I see. In fact, I like it better than what Rippon and Brown have shown me. He seems to be all round and able to bring it at the big event. Hopefully he will be just as cool for the Seniors'. :thumbsup:

ITA. He is a very complete skater and in that sense he is similar to Abbott, or a Rippon with a much better 3a. Krall and Allen are doing a great job with Josh and I think training with Patrick Chan really inspires him to work hard and do well. It seems they all encourage his resilience and prevent him from getting too down on himself when he makes mistakes. Also, it was said that Josh trained VERY hard for and was very focused going into this competition after being disappointed with how he skated at Nationals, and his scores and medal here show his hard work really paid off, and that is very promising. To go from 16th at Nationals with 197 to 2nd at Junior Worlds with 221 in 6 weeks is really impressive.

Art&Sport

Medalist
ITA. He is a very complete skater and in that sense he is similar to Abbott, or a Rippon with a much better 3a. Krall and Allen are doing a great job with Josh and I think training with Patrick Chan really inspires him to work hard and do well. It seems they all encourage his resilience and prevent him from getting too down on himself when he makes mistakes. Also, it was said that Josh trained VERY hard for and was very focused going into this competition after being disappointed with how he skated at Nationals, and his scores and medal here show his hard work really paid off, and that is very promising. To go from 16th at Nationals with 197 to 2nd at Junior Worlds with 221 in 6 weeks is really impressive.

I really like Joshua too. He could have won JGPF except for a couple of falls (the fall on footwork was very out of the ordinary). And, Josh nearly won here at Jr. Worlds as well. At JGPF, Jason was the most consistent of the men and his other amazing attributes helped put him on top when both Josh and Han made more errors there than they made at Jr. Worlds.

Josh is a well-rounded and very elegant skater. In Josh's case, it did wonders for him to switch from Tom Z. to Krall and Allen, w/o having to leave Colorado. To come back from a disappointing showing at Nats definitely shows Josh's mettle and confidence. I would echo that for Jason too, since his miscues at the tail end of his fp at Nats obviously did not follow him either. Jason was able to take from that Nats experience and keep moving forward, and he was able to maintain his amazing consistency.

I am very supportive of all the U.S. guys -- they are all quite wonderful, and I'd love to see them all progress and be successful. The sport truly needs to rethink and adjust to the amazing depth of these athletes. They all (especially the men in U.S. and Japan) need more opportunities to shine.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Great post Art&Sport :)! All great points, and I agree about the US and Japan (and now Russia and maybe China soon too) needing more chances to showcase their broad spectrum of talents.