Jason Brown's Future Prospects | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown's Future Prospects

AmuChan363

Rinkside
After seeing Jason at JW this week, he reminds me a bit of Patrick back in 2008. He is praised for his choreography, edges, and musicality and the strength of his overall skating but he doesnt have the jump content to take him farther. As much as people say that you need PC scores to do well in competition, much like for Patrick in 2008 he needs the jump content to take him to the top. And looking at Patrick now with a good 3A and 4T he's owning the skating world.

And also when you mean be competitive, in what way? He was 9th at senior nationals, to be competitive do you mean for him to make the world team, top 5 at nationals? What about junior worlds, to win? It depends on what you mean by that.

babyskate

On the Ice
I hear what everyone is saying. I do not think it is fair to judge Jason without seeing him skate in person. At 2011 Nationals he as a virtual unknown moved an entire audience. My section was standing before he was done saying who is that? He was more entertaining and interesting to watch then any of the top three. You can't teach that. He has that "it" factor. You can teach the 3A , 4T, and imo he will learn it and learn it well. Leave the boy alone. He is a nice person too who attends regular high school who is so kind to his fans. I still feel he is the one to watch.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I didn't misunderstand you, Bluebonnet. The question is how you interpret his lack of that jump.

Fact: Jason lacks a 3A. His other jumps are solid and his flow, line, interpretation, and musicality are exciting to many fans and are getting respect from the judges.

Opinion: Lack of a 3A is "the cake." Everything else he has is just "icing." That is how you put it. How did I distort your words?

As for turning personal - well, it's bad enough that the "Chan Patrol" snaps back whenever anyone dares to criticize him on this board. But when I see you turn around and criticize Jason to the point that his fans back off, then I want to speak up.

Is it fair to criticize skaters sharply? Then enough with the Chan Patrol. Is it unfair to criticize skaters sharply? Then enough about Jason being nothing but "icing."

Ok, so you are arguing which should be cake and which should be icing?:biggrin: Take it. Take the whole cake and with icing. Lip works won't give Jason the 3A he needs. I certainly wish him well.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's ridiculous to compare Jason's hairstyle with Kevin Reynolds. Jason's hair is smooth, neat and doesn't fall into his face when he's skating. Kevin's hair is a messy bird's nest that flops down into his face, obscuring his eyes. Jason looks elegant. Kevin looks anything BUT elegant.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, imho, Jason and Kevin have different looks that they obviously like or picked. I personally neither looks great in them or as aesthetically pleasing as it could be. As long as they are happy in respect to their personal lives; but as for competing well I suppose it affects the impression. I am not sure Jason's attitude (pony tail) is elegant. clean, simple, practical and off his face for sure. Maybe a side part would be better or no part. As for Kevin, I guess in fairness he has a "piecier" look of Daisuke.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's ridiculous to compare Jason's hairstyle with Kevin Reynolds. Jason's hair is smooth, neat and doesn't fall into his face when he's skating. Kevin's hair is a messy bird's nest that flops down into his face, obscuring his eyes. Jason looks elegant. Kevin looks anything BUT elegant.

I agree but I do think Jason could benefit from a side part, Vanessa Lam too. The hair so tightly pulled back with a part right down the middle is too severe a look for both of them.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall you get very annoyed when anything negative is said about your favorite Patrick.

Yes, you are very wrong on this account. I'm a Patrick fan, but I've let great many talks about Patrick went by and passed without saying even a word about it defending him or otherwise. But I did pick some occasions to confront some posts which I thought were easy to respond because they were obviously absurd.

...So Patrick fans all have gotten names?! I wouldn't go that low as starting to call Brown fans names but it really angers me sometimes that many people who dislike Patrick Chan seem to having the liberty and habit of using offensive name calling.:disagree:

Last edited:

I think the main difference between them is that you forget Jason's hairstyle when he's skating - he's that fascinating. Kevin Reynolds is far from that, no artistic skater, not consistent with his impressive jumps so you notice his hairstyle when he's skating.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno - Jason's hair bothers me. Not to the same extent as Kevin's, though. Jason's seems like a stylistic choice I just happen to dislike. Whereas Kevin's hair.... well, less so.

Becki

Medalist
I thought the answer to this question is rather obvious...

YES he does. Every competitive male skater (both jr and sr) needs a Triple Axel.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The thread question is if he needs the 3A by next season to remain competitive. My answer is it depends on if he will be competing in the Junior or Senior rank and if being competitive means to win or to contend for a medal.

Without a 3A, he is far from a contender as a Senior and may win the Junior crown only if the field is weak. It's likely Yan will move on, with a new choreo possibly by Nichols. Ten too. Not sure about Farris and others up and comers.

Anyways, it's highly likely Brown will have his 3A and stay Junior next season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, you are very wrong on this account. I'm a Patrick fan, but I've let great many talks about Patrick went by and passed without saying even a word about it defending him or otherwise. But I did pick some occasions to confront some posts which I thought were easy to respond because they were obviously absurd.

...So Patrick fans all have gotten names?! I wouldn't go that low as starting to call Brown fans names but it really angers me sometimes that many people who dislike Patrick Chan seem to having the liberty and habit of using offensive name calling.:disagree:

It seems as if you bring Pdiddy into every thread, regardless of what it's about (even into the JW Men SP thread). OF COURSE a Chan uber is going to compare every other skater to Chan and find him wanting. You made your point, such as it is. But the rest of us will take it from whence it comes and toss a bit of salt over the shoulder.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay, well certainly a 3a would make Mr. Brown more competitive but one can be competitive with a single toe - the question is HOW competitive? LOL - if we are getting technical.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Didn't really want to get back into this thread, but a thought:
I feel the forum title is a bit limiting given that it's a yes or no question. Doris (or other mods) maybe we can change the thread title to something like "Jason Brown's future prospects." That way, people can talk more about Jason Brown's skating and competitive prospects — pro + con —  as a whole.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Okay, well certainly a 3a would make Mr. Brown more competitive but one can be competitive with a single toe - the question is HOW competitive? LOL - if we are getting technical.

The main strength of the triple axel is that its GOE scales with the the Quad jumps (save the Quadruple Axel) GOE range. With a maximum of three GOE points, the already high base value of the triple axel jump is that much higher. Two good axels, with one in combination, can make a significant portion of a skater's technical score.

The forward edge allows a skater to enter the jump with a variety of entrances and build up GOE. The jump's spacing and entrance requirements are lenient enough to allow flexibility in where the jump is attempted, such as Patrick Chan initiating the triple axel in the width of the skating rink and in front of the judges during his Tango de Los Exiliados short program. In short, the jump enjoys some of the bonus a quad jump receives but doesn't have a quad's setup and spacing requirements.

Of course, the difficulty of the jump can vary person to person since the take-off edge is so different from the other jumps.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Didn't really want to get back into this thread, but a thought:
I feel the forum title is a bit limiting given that it's a yes or no question. Doris (or other mods) maybe we can change the thread title to something like "Jason Brown's future prospects." That way, people can talk more about Jason Brown's skating and competitive prospects — pro + con —  as a whole.

Yes, I'll do that, since the thread has morphed considerably.

If you're talking about me, I don't dislike Patrick at all! He's a great skater! I just don't happen to think he's the greatest ever or even the most exciting to watch today. He's high on my list, though.

If you want my opinion, a few Patrick ubers are so defensive of him that they not only make it unpleasant to discuss him but making some folks, at least speaking for myself, less enthusiastic about him than they otherwise would be. This handful of fans is so determined to rule Chan-talk that I've nicknamed them the Chan Patrol. I don't like this attempt to control and silence other posters. It's worked with me -- I'd rather avoid Patrick threads than get attacked by this group for dissenting from The Truth. But hey - I'm not going to spend my life dwelling on this - a, it's not fun, and b, I' d like to appreciate Patrick for the skater he is and his fans just get in the way of that.

BUT - when it comes to Patrick fans trying to make it hard for people to praise other skaters in the same breath as Patrick (even daring to say they like them better... blasphemy!), and causing them to exit conversations about those other skaters, then it's gone too far. Let's have some respect for all the skaters who aren't Patrick Chan as well as their fans. Let Jason Brown's fans enjoy him and admire him. It's not all about Patrick... or you.

As always, I speak for myself.