Should Skate Canada send Osmond to Worlds instead of Lacoste ? | Golden Skate

Should Skate Canada send Osmond to Worlds instead of Lacoste ?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I find that Osmond should go to Nice instead of Lacoste.

Kaetlyn is much more confidence in her jump and have a great presence on the ice compared to Amelie.

What are your thought : Should Skate Canada send Kaetlyn Osmond at world instead of Amelie Lacoste ?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No.

Kaetlyn had a respectable junior worlds debut finishing in the top 10 and ensuring Canada of two ladies spots for junior worlds next year.

However, her performance hardly justifies replacing Lacoste. First of all, she didn't be Amelie at Nationals. Second of all she has ZERO senior international experience. While she has a lot of good things going for her (namely a 3T-3T), she still has plenty of work to do. She made quite a few errors in her FS and it seems that Lutz is not 100 percent yet.

emma

Record Breaker
no.

Can't wait to see Osmond next year, but Lacoste earned this trip.

For what it's worth, I wish they would. I get the fairness arguments but I put more emphasis on merit and doing what's best for the team. Sending Kaetlyn would be a better investment for Canadian skating. I can't see that Amelie has much of a future - she's very average. Cynthia has more going for her, I guess, but at the moment, Kaetlyn is the future.

Unfortunately though, they made their decision, and even I don't think it would be appropriate to undo it now. :)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For what it's worth, I wish they would. I get the fairness arguments but I put more emphasis on merit and doing what's best for the team. Sending Kaetlyn would be a better investment for Canadian skating. I can't see that Amelie has much of a future - she's very average. Cynthia has more going for her, I guess, but at the moment, Kaetlyn is the future.

Unfortunately though, they made their decision, and even I don't think it would be appropriate to undo it now. :)

Yes, but isn't this an individual sport?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeees... but not entirely. Individuals earn or lose spots for the team, giving the team more or fewer chances to medal, and the teams' medals are tallied as someone just pointed out in here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?36416-Medal-Table. The national feds are building up their whole teams.

Yes, but hasn't Amelie been through enough with the skate off between Cynthia at 4CC to earn her spot? Only to then be told that they are sending a junior instead cause they don't think she's good enough. And who knows how Osmond would skate at Senior Worlds with the pressure of getting two spots or else on her shoulders. I guess I could understand if Amelie was told that they would decide the World team after Junior Worlds and it was between her, Osmond and Cynthia for the spot but they didn't. I could only imagine Amelie mental state (and anger) if this was to happen. For all we know Amelie just might earn 2 spots for Canada.

I'm not really arguing with you as (like I said) I don't think they should change their decision now that they've announced it. I just wish they had a different process that invested in a young skater with bigger potential instead of the older mid-pack skaters. JMO.

For what it's worth, I wish they would. I get the fairness arguments but I put more emphasis on merit and doing what's best for the team.

Yes. Let them have a skate-off and then decide.

To me, the "team" means, what is the best selection policy for Canadian figure skating.

Concocting a different ad hoc procedure every year, depending on which individual they want to push forward or hold back -- that is no way to run a national sports administration body.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not really arguing with you as (like I said) I don't think they should change their decision now that they've announced it. I just wish they had a different process that invested in a young skater with bigger potential instead of the older mid-pack skaters. JMO.

I know you're not. I just don't think it's fair and maybe every country should re-evaluate how they select their teams for Euros, 4CC, Worlds. Maybe evaluate an entire season and not just rely on national results. Russia is going through it right now with Voronov and Makarova.

To me, the "team" means, what is the best selection policy for Canadian figure skating.

Concocting a different ad hoc procedure every year, depending on which individual they want to push forward or hold back -- that is no way to run a national sports administration body.

Nice point. They should find a system that works and stick with it.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

The only issue that I have with this is that so many young skaters flame out that it's hardly worth investing in a skater who yet hasn't had that great of results. But I may be biased because I think they have screwed over Amelie all season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not this year. But next year, if Osmond earns it? Then certainly. If she keeps skating like this, I feel like she will probably beat Lacoste at Nationals next year anyways, unless Lacoste miraculously manages to find consistency on her toe jumps (the rest of her package is good and probably stronger than Osmond's at this point IMO, but Osmond is very young).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No. In fact, I'd like to see Osmond stay on the junior circuit for one more season. If she wins Nationals (realistically, Canada likely will only have one slot next season) than certainly.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
No, Osmond doesn't have enough international experience yet, and she didn't win Nationals (which is probably the most important factor). She could choke under pressure. Plus getting 10th at Junior Worlds would probably put her below that at Senior Worlds, which would only get Canada one spot anyhow. If Osmond wins nationals next year she should go to Worlds though!

deedee1

Record Breaker
No. Please.

I like Kaetlyn, too.
She is young and very talented. I believe it is just a matter of time that she will surapss Amelie, even Cynthia.

While I can't wait the Nationals next year, where these girls, including 'regrouped' Cynthia, going haed to head, Amelie has rightfully earned her spot at Worlds.
She deserves to represent Canada as the National Champion this year.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LaCoste deserves to go to Worlds this year. She earned it as Canadian champion. However i can see Kaetlyn passing up both Amelie and Cynthia fairly quickly if she continues to improve. Since Amelie and Cynthia have a hard time landing jumps Osmond is already becoming a better jumper. It remains to be seen if she can handle the pressure though that's always the question with young skaters.

skateflower

Match Penalty
If Canada wants to make a breakthrough in ladies skating, the federation needs to make those girls mentally though. The first thing they need to do is to ditch the interntioanl assignments based on reputatio. They need to ditch Amelie but pick up Kaetlyn for the world championships. Neither Amelie nor Cynthia has shown any mental toughness. They need to go.