Should Skate Canada send Osmond to Worlds instead of Lacoste ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should Skate Canada send Osmond to Worlds instead of Lacoste ?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
At this point of time, I don't think anyone can guarantee that Cynthia will podium given her current state.

This statement is hilarious. As if Cynthia even at her absolute best would be a good chance, never mind a guarantee to podium. A more accurate statement would be Cynthia would probably not be top 10 in her current state, not surprising as she has only been top 10 at Worlds once in her whole career anyway. Which LaCoste probably wont be either, but she does deserve to go over Cynthia this year.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I've been following this thread, and amazed at the double standard between comments on choices for the ladies for Worlds, and the choices for the pairs. On one hand, we have Lacoste who has had the best results of the Canadian ladies all season, consistently. She won Nationals. She won a skate off at 4CC that many felt was rather odd in the first place. Like people were looking for reasons not to send her to Worlds. Just look at the title of this thread. None of these ladies is likely to finish in the top 10. There is not much on the line this year. And Amelie, by any measure, has earned her spot and is the best choice.

With pairs, there is a lot on the line - 3 teams to world's next year. But there is no extra attention here. Nope. Have to go with Nationals results. There's no consideration of the most consistent, most likely to score highest, skate offs just to be sure, etc. And we are leaving the team with the 2nd best results all season and higher international ranking at home. There's no talk of what's most beneficial potentially for team Canada. It's baffling to me.

I'm with Mathman and others. Skate Canada needs to do a much better job of defining and following a standard selection process. It should be clear to all, and consistent. It should probably include more than just Nationals results. It should be absolutely in the best interests of the team Canada, and future opportunities for the broader team. Amelie would have been spared the insult (have to wonder what this has done to her confidence; hope she has a season's best by a mile in France), and perhaps a better decision could have been made in pairs. I'm not getting this current process. Simply ridiculous.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The difference - the team you refer to was not third by the slimmest of margins, thus justifying a second place skate off. They were fourth. They have once again peaked at the beginning of the season. They haven't earned the right to a skate-off. I'm not convinced that three spots is a lot on the line. I want the third spot, but I'm not desperate for it.

pangtongfan mocked spikydurian for his podium comment, but I'm gonna argue that SHOULD be the standard.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
None of these ladies is likely to finish in the top 10. There is not much on the line this year.

I think for some people this is why the question comes up. If none of them are likely to finish in the top 10, and the second spot for next year is out of the question anyway, what is the best way to use the spot? Does it matter? Then it's easy to start thinking that maybe it would be best to get Kaitlyn more experience she can build on in the future.

But, then again, she did go to Junior Worlds which was probably plenty of new experience for her to build on at this point. Cynthia seems to need a reality check, which is why sending her is out of the question IMO. And then we're back to Amelie, who might as well go since she earned it (by a smidge...)