Makarova gets remaining spot on Russian World's team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Makarova gets remaining spot on Russian World's team

DianaSelene

Medalist
On the contrary, Mateusp1--your English is wonderful! We're very glad to have you at GS. Thanks for your well-informed insights on Makarova as a short-program skater. It will be interesting to see how she does at Worlds.

By the way, if you're Russian-speaking (or if anyone else knows the answer to this), I'm curious about Polina's last name, Shelepen. Is it by any chance related to the name Chaliapin? (Like Feodor Chaliapin, the great opera singer.) I love the origin of names, and it's great to have so many international posters to ask for information.

No, from what I understand, these are two completely different last names.

mateusp1

On the Ice
mateusp1, Welcome to Golden Skate! We hope you post long & often!

Welcome, mateusp1. We are so pleased to have international posters join us.

On the contrary, Mateusp1--your English is wonderful! We're very glad to have you at GS. Thanks for your well-informed insights on Makarova as a short-program skater. It will be interesting to see how she does at Worlds.

By the way, if you're Russian-speaking (or if anyone else knows the answer to this), I'm curious about Polina's last name, Shelepen. Is it by any chance related to the name Chaliapin? (Like Feodor Chaliapin, the great opera singer.) I love the origin of names, and it's great to have so many international posters to ask for information.

Hello everyone.

Well, thank you so much for the welcoming messages.

Actually, I am not Russian. I am brazilian. The official language in my country is portuguese.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Since Russian Federation has named Makarova to the Worlds team, good luck to her.

I love her short program this year, but I don't particularly like her free program.
As Skater Boy suggests, I hope she would go back to last year's Evita (wasn't it?), where she simply appeared so gorgeous on the ice.

Considering the Ladies team of Leonova, Makarova, and Korobeynikova, I donot want RF pressure out Alena too much in order to secure 3 spots.

Re the Preliminary round for Korobeynikova. I think it good for her as a warmup, before going to skate short at her very first Worlds.

Oh, and to mateups1,
Welcome to the Forum!
Teach me your portuguese sometime. I will my Japanese for you anytime, well, if you like of course! ^)/~~~

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Well, thank you so much for the welcoming messages.

Actually, I am not Russian. I am brazilian. The official language in my country is portuguese.

Aha! Thanks for clarifying that. How wonderful to have someone from a country that's not well-known for its skating. It shows that our beloved sport has a global reach.

And DianaSelene, thanks for the information about Shelepen's name. I figured this was the one place I could ask without getting laughed at--and could get a good answer besides.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
For those more familiar with the Russian Fed than I am, should Shelepen consider moving to skate for a different federaltion/country? She has too much talent and is too young to be frozen out of worlds forever, but if she didn't make the world's team this year, she may never make it with Adelina and Tuk eligible next year and Julia added to the mix in 2014.

even if Shelepen will never get to go to Worlds, she will still get GP assignments and maybe even in B Competitions, she could be successful first competing in B Competitions like Akiko, and when her time has come, we might be seeing Shelepen in Worlds or even Olympics.
I can't say the same for Makarova, she should treat this last opportunity at Worlds and have her best skate of her career, we might not be seeing Makarova again after this in any international competitions.

btw, someone mentioned Makarova would go also because her parents are popular .
influencial ? who are her parents btw that they are popular ? :confused:

Mao88

Record Breaker
even if Shelepen will never get to go to Worlds, she will still get GP assignments and maybe even in B Competitions, she could be successful first competing in B Competitions like Akiko, and when her time has come, we might be seeing Shelepen in Worlds or even Olympics.
I can't say the same for Makarova, she should treat this last opportunity at Worlds and have her best skate of her career, we might not be seeing Makarova again after this in any international competitions.

btw, someone mentioned Makarova would go also because her parents are popular .
influencial ? who are her parents btw that they are popular ? :confused:

Ksenia's parents are pairs skaters Larisa Selezneva & Oleg Makarov. They won the bronze medal at the 1984 Olympics, a silver medal at the 1985 world championships, and a bronze medal at the 1988 world championships. They also finished 4th at the 1988 Olympics.

Trewyn

Medalist
Oh wow! I had no idea Ksenia's parents were that famous! So that's how she got into skating...

let`s talk

Match Penalty
You know what is really great is when international posters ask the questions that would never come to my mind. The origin of the last name? Who cares? If it isn't something easily to associate with another thing, then it must be something very old. That is what most people would say. I doubt if Polina herself knows (or cares) about the origin of her last name. It (as well as a bunch of other Russian last names with the same root but with different endings, widely available in that inflectional language) does come from the very very old word, actually a nickname, that is not in use anymore- шелепень (shelepen), which means "shepherd' whip". Basically, it's one of the so-called "professional" last names taken its origin from the occupation of the person. There is one more, a smaller version, of this name, that says that it might be related to the Vyatka dialect шелеп (shelep), which means "birch log crushed to kindling". It's also a "professional " last name, just of a different occupation.
As for Chaliapin (actually it's pronouced as 'Shalyapin' in Russian), this one doesn't have a clear meaning or origin. The first thing that might come to mind, especially of foreigners, is that it's something related to French 'la chapeau' and 'chapelleria'. But the problem is that those words came to the Russian language quite late- in 18 century. At the same time the language never had anything with the root of шаляпить (shalyapit'). One of the version is that it might be related to шеляпа (shelyapa) that was used in the Vladimir region and meant one of the tool for playing the kids game. The nickname could be given to a very smart and fast guy. But I find his verison a little irrelaible. In any case the origin of that great singer's last name remains unclear. For now.

b-man

Final Flight

But Shelepen has 3 age eligible skaters ahead of her now, and 3 more who will be age eligible within two years who rank higher at Russian nationals. Since the last 3 are younger, Shelepen's time may never come. She may be another in the seasons best top 25 who we will never see at worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
But Shelepen has 3 age eligible skaters ahead of her now, and 3 more who will be age eligible within two years who rank higher at Russian nationals. Since the last 3 are younger, Shelepen's time may never come. She may be another in the seasons best top 25 who we will never see at worlds.

but most of the 3 skaters ahead of Shelepen aren't that good either, only ahead of her would be Korobeynikova
Makarova clearly we won't be seeing her again at Worlds for a very long time, if not her last. Leonova had rough edges before she got
a little consistent now. and the younger eligible russian skaters after 2014, a lot can happen after that even if you count what the status will be for Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, Korobeynikova, Radionova , Agafonova ,Ogoreltseva etc. , Shelepen would still have a chance.

Shelepen btw reminds me of Miki Ano ,lol

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Sheveleva and Ovcharova too were wonderful in the previous years, but I dont see them get much RF attention plus they got injured both and skipped a season..

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sheveleva and Ovcharova too were wonderful in the previous years, but I dont see them get much RF attention plus they got injured both and skipped a season..

Sheveleva and Ovcharova are in terrible form right now after their injuries, sad to say these girls will be forgotten
I don't think they can bounce back again too many are even queuing to debut in the international juniors Radionova, Medvedeva, Ogoreltseva etc.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Since a couple of names of the Russian youngsters mentioned here, I wonder how Polina Afaganova is doning lately?

I loved watching her at Junior Worlds two years ago.
She was such a cutie on the ice, but with harder jumps (3Lz+3T! both in Sp and Lp). Eye-popping indeed, I remember! @_@

Anyone knows?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Since a couple of names of the Russian youngsters mentioned here, I wonder how Polina Afaganova is doning lately?
Polina Agafonova, who won 2 JGP bronze medals earlier this season as well as the Cup of Nice Senior B competition, placed 3rd (159.94) in a Russian competition last week behind Polina Shelepen and Maria Stavitskaya, and 4th (170.69) at Russian Junior Nationals last month behind Julia Lipnitskaia, Polina Shelepen, and Elena Radionova (who will be old enough to make her JGP debut this coming season).

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Polina Agafonova, who won 2 JGP bronze medals earlier this season as well as the Cup of Nice Senior B competition, placed 3rd (159.94) in a Russian competition last week behind Polina Shelepen and Maria Stavitskaya, and 4th (170.69) at Russian Junior Nationals last month behind Julia Lipnitskaia, Polina Shelepen, and Elena Radionova (who will be old enough to make her JGP debut this coming season).

Oh, I wrote her last name wrong, sorry for that.

And thank you so much for your quick reply, Sylvia!
Last time I heard about her was she was injured, so I am relieved now.
Looking forward to seeing her on Senior circuit soon!

Such a depth in the ladies field in Russia in the coming next seasons. Amaging.
It is likely one or two of these talented girls may never make Senior National team, and we, the fans outside of Russia won't get to see them at Worlds and/or Olympics. I erally feel for them.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I personally think sending Ksenia to worlds instead of Shelepen is a kind of dumb decision on the Russian Fed's part, just like sending Dmitriev to JW instead of Kovtun was a dumb decision as evidenced by his 14th place finish, when Kovtun could have easily placed 6th and maybe even as high as 3rd. I bet the same thing happens to Ksenia at worlds and if it does and she finishes around 14th place it will again make the Russian Fed look bad. Shelepen IS like Ando but that's a GOOD thing - she's a consistent and powerful jumper and even though she's not particularly artistic or musical, her elegant look on the ice sort of disguises it like it did for Ando. I'm sort of bummed she doesn't get to go and now I wonder will she even be able to get 2 GP assignments next season or just one? Soo much competition in Russia and her SB is good but not terrific, mostly though it's that there are 5 girls ranked ahead, and then Julia will likely do GP too so that's taking up a lot of spots and that's before you factor in Biryukova and others.

By the way, Anna Ovcharova moved to Geneva, Switzerland a couple months ago. She is now training with Peter Gruther. I wonder if she intends to switch representation - it would be a good move for her, IMO, with Meier retired, Anna could probably easily win Nationals there and get to go to major ISU championships she doesn't have a shot of getting assigned to if she continues skating for Russia. I know her form is not great now, but she is still great to watch, and maybe her jumps will get better once more time since her surgeries has passed. Idk. She never had good technique but it seems like she can still do hard triples sometimes. As for Sheveleva, she has good technique but was always inconsistent and based on videos I saw from when she competed at Russian Cup events this fall, it looked like she had grown up a lot, so I wonder if her weakend form might not be due more to puberty monster than injury.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I personally think sending Ksenia to worlds instead of Shelepen is a kind of dumb decision on the Russian Fed's part, just like sending Dmitriev to JW instead of Kovtun was a dumb decision as evidenced by his 14th place finish, when Kovtun could have easily placed 6th and maybe even as high as 3rd. I bet the same thing happens to Ksenia at worlds and if it does and she finishes around 14th place it will again make the Russian Fed look bad. Shelepen IS like Ando but that's a GOOD thing - she's a consistent and powerful jumper and even though she's not particularly artistic or musical, her elegant look on the ice sort of disguises it like it did for Ando. I'm sort of bummed she doesn't get to go and now I wonder will she even be able to get 2 GP assignments next season or just one? Soo much competition in Russia and her SB is good but not terrific, mostly though it's that there are 5 girls ranked ahead, and then Julia will likely do GP too so that's taking up a lot of spots and that's before you factor in Biryukova and others.

By the way, Anna Ovcharova moved to Geneva, Switzerland a couple months ago. She is now training with Peter Gruther. I wonder if she intends to switch representation - it would be a good move for her, IMO, with Meier retired, Anna could probably easily win Nationals there and get to go to major ISU championships she doesn't have a shot of getting assigned to if she continues skating for Russia. I know her form is not great now, but she is still great to watch, and maybe her jumps will get better once more time since her surgeries has passed. Idk. She never had good technique but it seems like she can still do hard triples sometimes. As for Sheveleva, she has good technique but was always inconsistent and based on videos I saw from when she competed at Russian Cup events this fall, it looked like she had grown up a lot, so I wonder if her weakend form might not be due more to puberty monster than injury.

Shelepen also reminds me of Miki Ando because she mostly just concentrates on jumps and more jumps, hopefully she will improve her artistry to held up her very low pcs scores. Shelepen like Ando has her favorite jump the Salchow, it gets huge height, btw. I remember an interview Shelepen has tried quadruple salchow but only in practice
does someone have a video of Shelepen landing the quadruple salchow ?

as for Ovcharova, it was just a matter of time before some of these girls switch countries, representing Switzerland will be a good idea, I can see some of the girls who will never make any international assignments switch countries but I would hate if Shelepen switch countries, she just needs to be patient and wait her time will come.
Makarova I think is done, If she does a disaster at Worlds. I don't think she will get any GP assignments . but if she switch countries, I think Makarova will be a superstar in Canada.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm Makarova a Canadian superstar - yep, that would probably be true unless Joannie came back in decent form.

Slowdive

On the Ice
I may be in the minority however I'm glad that Makarova grabbed the final spot at Worlds.
The main reason is that her SP has been my favorite of any of the ladies programs this season....short or long.
I can only hope that she doesn't have a complete meltdown in either program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Ovcharova have a Swiss mother? That's the only way for her to obtain immediate citizenship. Otherwise, she would have to become a naturalized citizen, and according to Wikipedia, that's a long process:

"The right to regular naturalization is granted not by the central government but by the cantons.[1]

Citizenship in Switzerland may be obtained by a permanent resident who lived in Switzerland for at least 12 years (any years spent in Switzerland between the 10th and the 20th years of age count double) and lived in the country for 3 out of the last 5 years before applying for citizenship. One should be able to speak in at least one of German (preferably Swiss German), French, Italian or Romansch (depending on the community) and show the following:

integration into the Swiss way of life;
familiarity with Swiss habits, customs and traditions;
compliance with the Swiss rule of law;
no danger to Switzerland's internal or external security
."

Since Makarova's mother is Canadian, she could more easily obtain Canadian citizenship---if she wanted to.