Marketing Ms. Davis & Mr. White | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Marketing Ms. Davis & Mr. White

For real, Math? Now, that's a lack of perspective. Chrysler made such a beautiful paean to Detroit. This bunch who's suing should just shut up and bask in the publicity. That ad made Detroit look like a movie set. You know, I read that outside of New York and Chicago, Detroit has the country's largest stock of Art Deco buildings (constructed during the heyday of automotive riches)...and that some huge percentage of those buildings are abandoned. Anything that can help revive this important city should be welcomed. If a large corporation wants to identify with Detroit and glamorize it in a national campaign, you don't send that corporation a subpoena; you send a thank-you note.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I don't know about this lawsuit, but it could be done primarily to goad Chrylser into moving more jobs back into Detroit and investing more in the city rather than just use it as a tagline.

But back to the topic. An easy way to sell ice dancing to Americans: tell them ice dance's scoring has been fixed, 'cause Americans are actually dominating now. :) Really, any sport where Americans are better than the rest of the world at has to be hard (otherwise anybody could've won) and fair and worthy of respect. Note: I don't actually believe these things, but it's how most Americans think. Really, the fact that two Americans were on the world podium in ice dancing last year should've been shouted from the mountains.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well said, Olympia. I had no idea there were so many art deco bldgs amongst all the abandoned bldgs. I would give my life for an isolationist president who cared about America, and actually tried to overturn every trade policy that destroyed our Mfg base. Japan didn't rise from the ashes giving their country away after ww2.

I live in a once beautiful little gem of a mfg city and like so many cities, healthcare is the biggest employer. I am so afraid for this country. I have not been able to travel much of Erope as I planned, but to see how Dubrovnik was so intact after centuries, and we have cities full of decaying 100 year old bldgs. Preservation makes economic sense. We had a lot of rennovated factory bldgs in the 80's and beginning nineties. Then we saw the massive outsourcing begin. Shopping in my city is getting nonexistent. This is Ne England. Walmart came in here in 2000. I knew in 10 years there'd be one big store. I cried after the 2000 elections, I predicted the wars before 9/11 and knew what our 8 years of Bush would do.

Our country is suffering enormously from the model of capitalism we gave to the world. Throw it away. Cheap goods from a country surpassing us who makes everything we own.

We Americans who need the govt are being told we must pay for the sins of Wall Street on Main Street. And ours was once a little jewel with culture, music, art and someplace you'd want to live. To see this country fall apart from roads, to bridges, to entire cities while the millionaires in Congress do their best to destroy the social safety net to balance a budget that can't be balanced.

I wish they got that they cannot be rich without a prosperous middle class, with a fair tax code to the working man. Think of all the foreclosed, vacant, abandoned homes in Detroit. That is where the pain is. I saw Detroit once in 1978 I think. I would hate to see what it is now. The pictures are devastating to see. A real reformer cannot get elected in this countr. The cowardly leadership breaks my heart daily. There are so many "Detroits" in America. God help us.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But back to the topic. An easy way to sell ice dancing to Americans: tell them ice dance's scoring has been fixed, 'cause Americans are actually dominating now. Really, any sport where Americans are better than the rest of the world at has to be hard (otherwise anybody could've won) and fair and worthy of respect. Note: I don't actually believe these things, but it's how most Americans think. Really, the fact that two Americans were on the world podium in ice dancing last year should've been shouted from the mountains.

I think such a feat has to happen at the Olympics though for anyone here to notice.

I definitely remember NBC showing tons of it in Vancouver- and I also remember wanting to watch the Team USA hockey game that was going on at the same time (and folks were complaining that that one was shoved to MSNBC while the main network showed ICE DANCING of all things!)

Skateluvr, you said a lot of the things I feel. I know it's not on topic, but I wanted to acknowledge your heartfelt statement.

In reference to Charlie and Meryl, I'd love to see them as competitors on Dancing with the Stars, each dancing with another pro partner, of course. It would be a gimmick not seen before on the show. I don't know whether they'd be seen to have an unfair advantage, being not just skaters but from a ballroom-related field of skating. But they'd add glamor to the show, and I think they'd gain many fans.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Heck, have Tessa & Scott as well. For that matter, a post-Olympics Dancing with the Stars with all Olympians would be way cool (but probably wouldn't get the audience any more, sad to say). Do the Summer Olympics this year, and the Winter Olympics in 2 years.

For real, Math? Now, that's a lack of perspective. Chrysler made such a beautiful paean to Detroit. This bunch who's suing should just shut up and bask in the publicity.

There was actually more to it than that. A small retail outfit in Detroit started making T shirts and things with the motto "imported from Detroit" on them. Chrysler sued claiming a trademark infringement on the slogan. So the other guys shot back with, well you don't even live in Detroit, so how can you claim ownership of the Detroit trademark?

By the way, last year Chrysler held some auditions for skaters (young ladies only need apply) to appear in a follow-up ad, but as far as I know nothing came of it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think it would be fair to put ice dancers on dancing with the stars. Davis and White and Virtue and Moir in a way are pros - dance on ice and they have made over $100,000 as a team each I think from their skating ISU events not to mention shows. Arguably they can be deemed pro dancers on ice????

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I second that, Skater Boy. Ice dancers get off ice ballroom training. They're already very experienced in various ballroom rhythms, in partnering, in holds, in timing, etc. If the goal is to actually get people to like ice dancing, don't put ice dancers on Dancing with the Stars as competitors. As partnering pros, maybe. Although that's pretty much an impossible commitment for any ice dancer who's still competing. Someone should try to convince DwtS to let Davis/White and the Shibs perform during a result show.

lcd

Match Penalty
There's a lot of cross discipline effort going on. The ballroom and ice dance worlds are doing a fine job of collaborating, but the "bright lights, big city" of TV is currently only on ballroom. The Shibs are doing hugely energizing work with Corky Ballas - the "father of dancing with the stars" champs Mark Ballas, Derek Hough and Julianne Hough. He has said the Shibs are like "ice" version of all of these 3 young champions. All of Canton has been working with Elena Grinenko, and she does her darndest to promote her involvement. The broader world just needs to notice. Such impressive work coming out of these collaborations, especially the Shibs and their latin, which nobody seemed to think they could pull off. Their new short dance is arguably one of if not THE best of the bunch now.

Ice dance and Ballroom are such natural fits. Would love to see this noticed by a broader audience.

Today at my office, someone showed a bunch of us this amazing ad (really a short film) by Cartier, the jewelry company.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Cartier?v=yaBNjTtCxd4

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of when I said that Meryl and Charlie could be featured in an ad for some high-end product such as cars or perfume (print or filmed). Add to them jewelry and watches, which are often the ultimate luxury products. Here is exactly the kind of atmosphere I was thinking about, except of course this ad is far more ambitious than most. Can't you imagine Meryl in some fantasy landscape like this? It's a very rare young woman who is able to move easily in a glamorous setting, and Meryl has the carriage and the grace to do it. And Charlie would be a great asset in such an ad as well--elegant, a bit rakish, conveying a sense of adventure.

Last edited:
^ :clap: :clap: :clap:

That could have been Meryl at the end. :laugh:

But yeah, I see what you mean. They could be skating through various landscapes. etc. :yes: I'd buy it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Evan has signed with Michelle's agent. I wonder whether Meryl & Charlie may do the same.